DV8 Tire Carrier - TCJL-01

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hi. Does anyone have any "inside" info on this? I reached out to DV8 via email and didn't get a whole lot of information. He actually said he hasn't put his hands on one yet.

Trying to find out:
  • Does it extend the camera out further so if you have a high negative-offset wheel, it will not capture the tire in the video?
  • Does the metal plate mount up against the hinges or are there spacers to keep it from touching them? (I assume there are spacers)
  • When are they due to start shipping? (the guy did say he hopes within 4 weeks)
  • Does it raise the third brake light up higher to better clear a 35/37" tire?
  • Even though Quadratec advertises 35", can it technically handle a 37"?
  • Does it come with longer tire bumpers (or does it even need them since it's a metal mount)?
Link to product: https://www.quadratec.com/p/dv8-off...Nb1uQylcV5e0FenFT3n37HsCm6rlGeXEaAg6qEALw_wcB
Sponsored

OP
OP
Khsonic03

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JK Unlimited, 2018 JLUR (Black), 2018 JLUR (Red)
Hello,
So for our tire carrier, it does extend the camera out for the different offset wheels.
The metal plate does mount up to the hinges but yes there will be spacers with the kit to prevent any paint damage.
The shipping date for these is still tentative as we dont have them in stock and complete just yet.
This does use the factory light mount, but it does rise it up for larger tire.
It is recommended for a 35" tall tire so it is at the customer discretion for a 37".
As for the bumps I do believe the tire will rest on the carrier and not the bumpers.

OP
OP
Khsonic03

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Hello,
So for our tire carrier, it does extend the camera out for the different offset wheels.
The metal plate does mount up to the hinges but yes there will be spacers with the kit to prevent any paint damage.
The shipping date for these is still tentative as we dont have them in stock and complete just yet.
This does use the factory light mount, but it does rise it up for larger tire.
It is recommended for a 35" tall tire so it is at the customer discretion for a 37".
As for the bumps I do believe the tire will rest on the carrier and not the bumpers.
Thanks! Regarding the 37" question, definitely understand that it's recommended for 35". Was more curious if it raises the brake light high enough to clear a 37" if the customer chooses to take that risk.

Not sure I understand how the tire will rest on the carrier though - it will still be suspended in the air, but I could understand if bumpers weren't needed since the back of the wheel mounts against a solid metal plate vs a plastic plate like stock.

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks! Regarding the 37" question, definitely understand that it's recommended for 35". Was more curious if it raises the brake light high enough to clear a 37" if the customer chooses to take that risk.

Not sure I understand how the tire will rest on the carrier though - it will still be suspended in the air, but I could understand if bumpers weren't needed since the back of the wheel mounts against a solid metal plate vs a plastic plate like stock.
It should raise it enough, if not, it can easily be made to.

When the tire and wheel are bolted to the carrier, the back of the tire should press up against the carrier supporting the back of the tire.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Khsonic03

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
It should raise it enough, if not, it can easily be made to.

When the tire and wheel are bolted to the carrier, the back of the tire should press up against the carrier supporting the back of the tire.
Still not sure that makes sense to me - where in this picture would the tire be touching/pressing?

tirecarrier.jpg

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still not sure that makes sense to me - where in this picture would the tire be touching/pressing?

tirecarrier.jpg
I apologize, I meant the wheel pressing up against the mount. In that case, the rubber bumps would be utilized from the factory setup.

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I apologize, I meant the wheel pressing up against the mount. In that case, the rubber bumps would be utilized from the factory setup.
This could be a hot product given the price variance to the Mopar part. Looking forward for more pix as the part becomes available.

OP
OP
Khsonic03

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
This could be a hot product given the price variance to the Mopar part. Looking forward for more pix as the part becomes available.
Agree! To me, it looks stronger than the mopar version, since it's all one piece and has a metal mount for the wheel. I'm surprised they say it's only good for a 35".

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree! To me, it looks stronger than the mopar version, since it's all one piece and has a metal mount for the wheel. I'm surprised they say it's only good for a 35".
It is only good for the 35" due to factory restrictions.

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is only good for the 35" due to factory restrictions.
Did you guys think of a CB antenna holder? E.g. on the top side of the tire carrier, which we can't see in the pic?

OP
OP
Khsonic03

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Do you have more info on the restrictions? I ask because the mopar one (link below) says it's good for "35" or larger tires" and your bracket seems more stout than theirs. I would think if theirs can handle 37's, yours could too.

https://www.mopar.com/en-us/store/a...Gate+Hinge+Reinforcement.html#product-details
While it will clear larger than a 35", we leave it at the customer discretion for the factory restricts it to the 35" tire due to weight.

Did you guys think of a CB antenna holder? E.g. on the top side of the tire carrier, which we can't see in the pic?
On this carrier, we did not include any designated CB antenna mount, however with the design of the tire mount, it should be very simple to add.

OP
OP
Khsonic03

Khsonic03

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
While it will clear larger than a 35", we leave it at the customer discretion for the factory restricts it to the 35" tire due to weight.

On this carrier, we did not include any designated CB antenna mount, however with the design of the tire mount, it should be very simple to add.
Thanks. Do you feel that your bracket is stronger than the Mopar reinforcement bracket?

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Thanks. I spied holes on the side of the tire carrier, looks like this may be intended for add-ons? So that is where a antenna bracket could go?
Sponsored