DV8 SPJL-01 skid plate

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
Hey first of all - a huge shout-out to @DV8Offroad - great support team that was only a phone call away (Guy rocks!)

A couple weeks ago, I ordered a skid plate to mount under my FS-14. I left town for work, got back, crawled under the Jeep to mount the skid plate - and there's nothing to bolt it to where the brackets of the skid plate wind up. Apparently Mopar decided to redesign the skid plate mounting from what they originally had (and what DV8 had used to create the skid plate). The sunk-in-bolts moved from on the bracket up toward the grill, to down at the very bottom. So - the skid plate no longer will mount to factory hardware.

two options - be frustrated or work it out. I called DV8 (after calling Morris4x4 because I wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something) and they explained it and they are working out a bracket solution. In the meantime they are using zerknuts to provide a mounting spot, which is just fine with me.

The moral here isn't that the skid plate doesn't mount as intended any more because Jeep changed the mounting (that happens all the time I would think); it's how the company - at least the person I had on the phone - was very helpful, explained it, and had a solution for it being worked already.

so - thanks DV8 for being a great company.
Sponsored

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JK Unlimited, 2018 JLUR (Black), 2018 JLUR (Red)
Hey first of all - a huge shout-out to @DV8Offroad - great support team that was only a phone call away (Guy rocks!)

A couple weeks ago, I ordered a skid plate to mount under my FS-14. I left town for work, got back, crawled under the Jeep to mount the skid plate - and there's nothing to bolt it to where the brackets of the skid plate wind up. Apparently Mopar decided to redesign the skid plate mounting from what they originally had (and what DV8 had used to create the skid plate). The sunk-in-bolts moved from on the bracket up toward the grill, to down at the very bottom. So - the skid plate no longer will mount to factory hardware.

two options - be frustrated or work it out. I called DV8 (after calling Morris4x4 because I wanted to make sure I wasn't just missing something) and they explained it and they are working out a bracket solution. In the meantime they are using zerknuts to provide a mounting spot, which is just fine with me.

The moral here isn't that the skid plate doesn't mount as intended any more because Jeep changed the mounting (that happens all the time I would think); it's how the company - at least the person I had on the phone - was very helpful, explained it, and had a solution for it being worked already.

Awesome, I am happy to hear we were able to get you taken care of!!!!!!!

RedJlu

First Name
Elvis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 firecracker red Sahara (sold); 2021 Sting Gray Rubicon (ordered)

I also ordered and installed my skid plate and yes you are right, it doesnt fit properly so my shop had to create some support bracket for it to work.
20180726_083655.jpg

DV8Offroad

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Jeep JK Unlimited, 2018 JLUR (Black), 2018 JLUR (Red)
I also ordered and installed my skid plate and yes you are right, it doesnt fit properly so my shop had to create some support bracket for it to work.
20180726_083655.jpg
So I just spoke with my tech about this. When we designed the skid plate we used one of the first JLs that was brought into our area. On that particular JL, the holes in the frame where the skid plate mounts to were threaded. As we have had more JLs come into our hands, we see that the holes which were threaded are now not being threaded. Due to this change, we are beginning to add nut plates that will slide into the frame which will be used for installation. If you received a skid plate and did not get these and need them, give us a call at 951-680-9595 and we will be happy to get these out to you!

Thank You

OP
OP
RisingEagle

RisingEagle

First Name
Armond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL 4DR Ocean Blue Rubicon
So I just spoke with my tech about this. When we designed the skid plate we used one of the first JLs that was brought into our area. On that particular JL, the holes in the frame where the skid plate mounts to were threaded. As we have had more JLs come into our hands, we see that the holes which were threaded are now not being threaded. Due to this change, we are beginning to add nut plates that will slide into the frame which will be used for installation. If you received a skid plate and did not get these and need them, give us a call at 951-680-9595 and we will be happy to get these out to you!

Thank You
yup - that's what the support guys on the phone said as well. pretty awesome adaptation to fix an install problem not caused by you guys.

good stuff. the Jeep community - and our vendors - are a pretty good bunch ;)

Sponsored

desert runner

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR MetalCloak 2.5F/3.5R, LoD Bumper/Carrier.
I also purchased this skid plate a few weeks back and like the way it is done.

Unfortunately I had to take it off again, because it did not work with the winch plate I was getting, the LoD signature series.

This is the LoD winch plate. I chose it because I am not using the factory steel bumper, and this one will not extend forward beyond the frame.

upload_2018-8-20_16-11-11.png

This is where the DV8 skid plate would attach:
upload_2018-8-20_16-12-2.png

The DV8 would make a perfect fit if the front edge would end about an inch lower.

I know I am mixing and matching parts at my own risk & fun ;). I'll have a strip of the skid sawed off.

BigSarg

First Name
Johnathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sport JL
I installed the DV8 Skid plate in my 2018 JL and had similar issue with bolting it up. I called you guys and it was handled quickly y’all sent me out the modified plates with the nuts welded on. I was super impressed thanks! My one concern was when I installed the DV8 Off-Road FS-13 Hammer Forged Stubby Front Bumper the fog lights are still designed to bolt on like the JK so it’s no a direct plug and play I have to rewire the dv8 fog lights lights to go to the new JL harness.

FC92EBA4-3DC9-460E-A77E-36B7C4E4232E.jpeg

Bubba33

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jeep wrangler Sahara JL
I just installed the dv8 skid pkate. I have a barracade front bumper. This fit perfect, I had the nut plate and I took silicon and stuck them up in there and let them setup. Went back out a couple hours later and put it in and bolted it up. Took 20 min or less to finish. I have a winch on my bumper, so I didnt take it off. Mounted skid plate with bumper on. I used a 3/8 with extensions and swivel and a a impact driver to tighten them up. I did that through the cut outs in the front.