Dust galore in interior

LizardBoy

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 2019 2.0L
I just took my Wrangler for a long trip on some very dusty roads in the Medicine Bow Mountains of Wyoming. The Jeep handled like a champ, but . . . WOW the dust! Although dust seemed to have seeped through every gasket to some degree, there was a lot of leakage in the rear, especially from between the glass and the tail gate. Is this a common phenomenon? Is there a way to lessen the amount of dust that gets into the interior?
Sponsored

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

i cannot say i have had issues with dust getting in through the rear hatch seals. I have done a lot of driving in silt and sand and tend to keep my windows down which causes aot of dust to build up in the rear cargo area. Nothing that says i have a bad seal though. if you have the hard top make sure your bolts are torqued down to factory specs. i believe its like 10 ftlbs or so

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
When that nanny vent opens to let the fresh(warm) air inside, it bypasses the in-cabin filter.

Rico1111

First Name
Rico
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon 2 door JL
There is a vent for air that facilitates the opening closing of doors in the tailgate behind the tire/brake light. I would think that might be where it is getting in unless there are telltale signs around the rear window indicating that is where it is coming in. my .02 cents

Sponsored

Cthehentz

First Name
Kev
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I take the blower to the inside, me and my buddy Moose (head) milked the cleaning process for a few hours. I did find a missing rubber plug up inside the dash leading directly into the cabin that explains the dusty cab.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I have noticed the same thing.

I’ve been driving on some dusty trails lately; the amount of dust that gets in and collects around and on the inside of the tailgate and the door jams is significantly greater than the dust that got inside any of my JKs. I have to constantly clean the rubber seals around the liftgate and the tailgate; they get shockingly dusty.

No, I have never removed the doors on my JL.

deserteagle56

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
Only way to keep dust out of the interior - from someone who has been off-roading for nearly 60 years - is to pressurize the interior. Which is to say - turn your a/c (or just the fan) on high so it is drawing clean air from the front of the Jeep and forcing it into the interior. I've seen some vehicles modified with extra fans that really shove a lot of fresh air into the inside.

If you are not pressurizing the interior, just driving with no fresh air entering the cab, then there is actually a vacuum formed inside which draws dust in.

72Blazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
72BlazerCrawler 72Blazer12V 88SBDuramax 18JLUR
Occupation
SLP
I took an air hose and 80 psi to the interior of mine this weekend. Still not 100% new but definitely cleaned it up a lot.

Sponsored