Sponsored

Dust everywhere, is there any hope of keeping the engine bay clean?

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Hi,
With my previous vehicles the engine bay did not seem so stuffed with pieces and parts, so it seemed both easier to clean up the dust and grime, and less likely, perhaps, to trap as much dust in the first place.

With my JLUR, it seems as if every bit of dust that rises up into the engine bay, gets trapped in the bay and settles in places where I can not easily wipe or brush it off.

I would not have thought that I was especially concerned about such matters, but the accumulation of dust in my JLUR seems greater than I have experienced with other vehicles, so I thought I would ask a broad based question in the hopes of learning how other people are choosing, if they are, to keep their engine bays clean enough to not seem filthy.

Thank you!
Sponsored

Last edited:

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
I don't know how you could KEEP it from getting dusty but I do an annual engine bay detailing on my vehicles, around the anniversary of when I bought it. That way, whatever dust, dirt, etc., gets in there it doesn't build up over the years.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I don't know how you could KEEP it from getting dusty but I do an annual engine bay detailing on my vehicles, around the anniversary of when I bought it. That way, whatever dust, dirt, etc., gets in there it doesn't build up over the years.
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Are you pressure washing? Steam cleaning? Spray bottle and a rag?

I am used to just occasionally wiping stuff down with a rag and blowing stuff off with an air hose, but it seems like there's more pipes, ducts, wires, and crevices than ever before.

Thank you.

Sponsored

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I did a quick google of cleaning JL engine bay, and found a fantastic video and which product to use and a write-up. A++++ would recommend this search.

tonygiotta

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Fire Captain
I've had good luck thus far with a pressure washer. Widest angle tip I have, held a safe distance away from what ever I'm cleaning. It seems to rinse out the nooks and crannies without completely flooding the engine bay, and without forcing any water where it doesn't belong. I make just a few passes in different directions with the wand held at various angles, towel off the big stuff, and it looks great afterwards. I know there's some risk involved with using a pressure washer, but exercising a little caution goes a long way. Haven't needed to use any cleaners/degreasers since I've stayed on top of it thus far.

OP
OP
Yellow Cake Kid

Yellow Cake Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I've had good luck thus far with a pressure washer. ...exercising a little caution...
Thank you for explaining. Once I realized how many times this question has been asked elsewhere, I have come to realize that many people wash down the engine bay of the JL series. I was hesitant to do so because of all the electronics, but am now considering the idea as practical if it is executed with due caution.

Thank you!

Sponsored

RoadiJeff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2.0T Recon, 2018 3.6L GC High Altitude
Hi, thanks for the reply.

Are you pressure washing? Steam cleaning? Spray bottle and a rag?

I am used to just occasionally wiping stuff down with a rag and blowing stuff off with an air hose, but it seems like there's more pipes, ducts, wires, and crevices than ever before.

Thank you.
If there are any sensitive electronics I cover them first with a plastic bag. Then I spray everything with Simple Green and let it sit for 5 minutes. I rinse all that off with a garden hose and use an electric leaf blower to disperse any standing water and let everything dry for a few hours.

I then spray everything with some engine shine detail spray, wipe off the excess and leave the hood up for another hour or two to let it all dry.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I know people frown on it, but I've (carefully) pressure washed my engines for over 20 years, with no ill effects.
Sponsored