Sponsored

DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
The 2 door is great for a couple. For pets leave the back seat out and load them through the tailgate. My backseat is in the basement in storage and will be as long as we own the jeep. The 2.0 is an incredible engine and mine is giving me mpg’s i never thought possible in a Jeep.
This. My wife, our border collie and I just took a 700 mile long weekend trip to Sedona and back in my two month old 2 door Sport S. Took out the back seat and tossed in Rivers pet bed. That plus a large cooler, 3 good size duffle bags, a case of water and three bags of food (we rented a house so brought supplies with us) all fit securely with a bit of planing and still left me with an clear view out the back. Could've fit twice as much in if packed to the top.
Have the 2.0 and with about 50 miles of off road thrown in, still averaged 25.2 mpg for the trip.
You can squeeze quite a bit into the back with the seats out...

20200914_192145.jpg

River Sept 11, 2020 Shnebly Hill.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR Granite Crystal, 24 JLUR Anvil
Occupation
Twubblemaker
All Wranglers click, the whirring noise is covering it on the new one.

JK! Anyway, the whirring noise is the BSG part of the eTorque. You are hearing the belt run it. It’s normal. Those that don’t ever hear it probably don’t have a BSG or just aren’t noticing it.
Heya Joe!!

You cannot JOKE on things like that!!! :surprised: If there are some serious fault with my new spiffy Rubicon, I am going to join Opus Dei and flaggelate (is that the right word?? Flagerate? Fraggerate? You know that self punishment that the killer do in the book Da Vinci Code) myself!!

I don't know what BSG is (I do know what MSG is - its used in a lot of Asian cooking, I think a lot of people believe that it causes hair loss) but I am so happy to hear that you said that the whirring noise is normal. I am still adjusting to it but as LONG as it is normal I am okay since I had a bad experience with my previous Jeep with some clicking.

A noob question. Does a Turbo engine need to have BSG to run (is it the reason why it is a Turbo because BSG is core of the engine!) Thanks for the assurance. :like:

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
This. My wife, our border collie and I just took a 700 mile long weekend trip to Sedona and back in my two month old 2 door Sport S. Took out the back seat and tossed in Rivers pet bed. That plus a large cooler, 3 good size duffle bags, a case of water and three bags of food (we rented a house so brought supplies with us) all fit securely with a bit of planing and still left me with an clear view out the back. Could've fit twice as much in if packed to the top.
Have the 2.0 and with about 50 miles of off road thrown in, still averaged 25.2 mpg for the trip.
You can squeeze quite a bit into the back with the seats out...

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S River Sept 11, 2020 Shnebly Hill

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S River Sept 11, 2020 Shnebly Hill
OH MAN!!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE IT!!!! This is so awesome!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I don't know if it might work with two dogs - but I might give it a test run with the seat off and create a separation between the dogs area and the luggage. The reason why I leave the back seat on was for the elevation so that my dogs can actually see their surrounding when I am driving with the roof off.

I am planning a trip to Alaska with my two dogs (been planning for over two years now) from the vicinity of New York City when COVID is over. I have to do careful planning as to optimize spaces in my Jeep and I am comforted that you had a good experience traveling long distance with your awesome dog. That is an awesome ocean blue Jeep you have there! And I am so glad that you have 2 doors!! I am planning to travel with soft top so that I can enjoy my surrounding when days are nice and the skies are blue!

Thank you for sharing!!! Awooooooo!!!!

Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S 64715

* Waffles the 7 years old Tibetan Terrier on the left and Sparky the 9 years Wheaten Terrier on the right.

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
A cold air intake and/or exhaust might help with the whirring noise. Of course if you're really sensitive they can bring their own problems as well.

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
All Wranglers click, the whirring noise is covering it on the new one.

JK! Anyway, the whirring noise is the BSG part of the eTorque. You are hearing the belt run it. It’s normal. Those that don’t ever hear it probably don’t have a BSG or just aren’t noticing it.
2.0T in 2021 does not have etorque or BSG. The 3.6 does for 2021

Heya Joe!!

You cannot JOKE on things like that!!! :surprised: If there are some serious fault with my new spiffy Rubicon, I am going to join Opus Dei and flaggelate (is that the right word?? Flagerate? Fraggerate? You know that self punishment that the killer do in the book Da Vinci Code) myself!!

I don't know what BSG is (I do know what MSG is - its used in a lot of Asian cooking, I think a lot of people believe that it causes hair loss) but I am so happy to hear that you said that the whirring noise is normal. I am still adjusting to it but as LONG as it is normal I am okay since I had a bad experience with my previous Jeep with some clicking.

A noob question. Does a Turbo engine need to have BSG to run (is it the reason why it is a Turbo because BSG is core of the engine!) Thanks for the assurance. :like:
BSG = Belt driven Starter Generator
The 2.0T doesn't have etorque or BSG it in 2021. Probably more of a political decision than any other reason since they added it to the 3.6 for 2021. In 2019 only the 2.0 had it, in 2020 some models had etoque on the 2.0 some didn't. In 2021 the 3.6 has it and the 2.0 does not. The 2021 plugin-hybrid will come with the 2.0, so maybe something to differentiate plug-in hybrid from "mild hybrid" and not confuse buyers? Who knows.

You probably won't get any clicking because you have lockers instead of an LSD now. The clutch packs in the LSD can be noisey, especially if they don't have the right additive in the diff oil.

The whirring noise is probably the turbo spooling up when the engine comes under load and is 100% normal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
You probably won't get any clicking because you have lockers instead of an LSD now. The clutch packs in the LSD can be noisey, especially if they don't have the right additive in the diff oil.

The whirring noise is probably the turbo spooling up when the engine comes under load and is 100% normal.
Man all the thing that I am learning about my new ride from here. Thanks! I am glad to hear that the whirring noise is normal. I am still trying to get used to it. And you were right - as the whirring noise usually comes in when I am stepping on the pedal or going uphill (and sometimes downhill).

Questions - could you please explain a little bit more about addictive in oil? I was googling additive and some articles mentions that it is best to use premium gas for turbo engine ie. 91 octane. I usually use the middle of the line (89. octane) for all my vehicles. Should I be using 91 octane on this Jeep? Also should I be putting any addictive in my gas or something?

Thank you for your advice! Appreciate it. :like:

jdubya421

First Name
Jakob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2-Door MT V6
Build Thread
Link
I was going to say, "whirring noise? you mean turbo noise!". People pay good money to make that sound louder. Looks like you basically did the same thing I did. Never had a clicking noise, but after a year with a sport I traded in for a Rubi that looks almost identical to my sport, and I am so glad I did. Congrats!

RagTopDeluxe

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Punk'n Recon
Julie!! Thanks a lot! No whirring sound???? Hmmm!!! I need to get my ears check. I did not know that they have new steel steering gear - which most probably explain why it is so much easier to maneuver (I thought that my steering wheel were a bit too loose) Thanks for the clarification.

Yes to the backup camera. A big difference from the old 2019 Sport S as compared to this new Rubi - it is really clear. Totally understandable about the room at the back of your JLU to carry more stuff. There are many pros (and cons) of owning a two doors vs four doors, and it is just that I could never ever imagine driving a four door Jeep. To me - even when I wish that there are more space to put things away (especially when I have two dogs) - I am super happy with my 2 doors Jeep. It is my fun ride - my err... how do I say this - my toy car? and while I am planning to take this baby off trail sometimes soon - it is not a substitute to my main ride, rather - it complements my need - the main ride is practical and 2 door Jeep is fun (we had so much fun this summer driving with the top off and now that it is getting colder - I have decided not to take the new top off till next Spring.

Big hugs! And dogs are awesome!!! Glad that we have dog(gies)!!

Jeep + Doggies = Indescribable Feelings! :like:
I don’t *notice* a whirring sound, it could well be there, tho. I drive top down and doors off and stereo up (BTW, my Alpine stereo on my ‘20 isn’t as loud as the one on my ‘19). I also have mud tires that are noisy. So who knows what sounds I’m missing :LOL:.

Dakota gives the backseat four paws up:
Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S IMG_1778-X4

Edit to add pic of her in the back of my ‘19 2 door:
IMG_6813-X3.jpg

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Congrats on the new Jeep!

So, basically what you are saying is that the “whirring noise” followed you from the differential on your Sport to the motor in your Rubicon...

:LOL:

oldcjguy

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Challenger Hellcat, 19 Challenger Scatpack, 20 JLUR Recon
Occupation
Software Engineer
Man all the thing that I am learning about my new ride from here. Thanks! I am glad to hear that the whirring noise is normal. I am still trying to get used to it. And you were right - as the whirring noise usually comes in when I am stepping on the pedal or going uphill (and sometimes downhill).

Questions - could you please explain a little bit more about addictive in oil? I was googling additive and some articles mentions that it is best to use premium gas for turbo engine ie. 91 octane. I usually use the middle of the line (89. octane) for all my vehicles. Should I be using 91 octane on this Jeep? Also should I be putting any addictive in my gas or something?

Thank you for your advice! Appreciate it. :like:
The oil additive I was referring to was for the differential. Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) work by having thin plates (clutches and steels) rubbing against each other to provide resistance to spinning one wheel faster than the other. With plain old gear oil these plates can cause chatter or clicking as they kind of "skip" or "jump" when rubbing against each other. There is an additive for the gear oil that lubricates between the plates and prevents this "skipping". Picture having rubber gloves on and holding your palms together. Then start twisting your arms in opposite directions. Your hands will skip across each other as the glove loses its traction and regains it again. Now put some oil on the gloves. No more skipping.

As for fuel... I run premium. You do not have to. The owners manual says 87 is fine. The computer will adapt for the lower octane and remove timing to prevent knocking or detonation. You'll also lose a little power like this. In general driving you may not notice the difference. In fuel mileage you may pick up 1 maybe to mpg running premium but I wouldn't hold my breadth. For me it's about the performance. That's why I chose the 2.0 and I want as much as it will give me, so I run premium.

Sponsored

lzaffuto

First Name
Lucas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2 door Sport S Sarge Green
In addition to the extra power I picked up 2mpg switching from 87 to 93. YMMV but it was totally worth it for me. If you have a Sam's club or Costco with a gas station near you, it might not even cost you enough extra to worry about at all.

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I don’t *notice* a whirring sound, it could well be there, tho. I drive top down and doors off and stereo up (BTW, my Alpine stereo on my ‘20 isn’t as loud as the one on my ‘19). I also have mud tires that are noisy. So who knows what sounds I’m missing :LOL:.

Dakota gives the backseat four paws up:
Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S IMG_6813-X3

Edit to add pic of her in the back of my ‘19 2 door:
Jeep Wrangler JL DUN DUN DUUUN!!! 2021 2 DR JL Rubicon - comparison and thoughts vs 2019 JL Sport S IMG_6813-X3
IS THAT A GOLDENDOODLE????? Dakota is such a beautiful dog!!!!! I have a wheaten terrier myself. They don't shed. Readson why I said that it is a golden doodle is because Dakota is slightly bigger than the regular SCWT - I could be wrong but both breeds are excellent dog.

I will give Dakota four high fives and FOUR BIG HUGS!!! Julie that is a beautiful dog. Congrats. Made my day!!!

OP
OP
KenPewPew

KenPewPew

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Twubblemaker
I was going to say, "whirring noise? you mean turbo noise!". People pay good money to make that sound louder.
DO. WHAT. NOW??? BUT WHY would anyone want a noisy Jeep?? :surprised:

Looks like you basically did the same thing I did. Never had a clicking noise, but after a year with a sport I traded in for a Rubi that looks almost identical to my sport, and I am so glad I did. Congrats!
Jakob, so you can totally relate!!!!! Yes - I noticed that you have 2 doors too!!! Man that is awesome. Glad that someone actually knows how I feel! High five! :like: Thanks for sharing!

Congrats on the new Jeep!

So, basically what you are saying is that the “whirring noise” followed you from the differential on your Sport to the motor in your Rubicon...

:LOL:
Aldo - don't jinx me. After that clicking Jeep - even though it is not serious I am sure, I am super nervous and leery about having another less than perfect Jeep. If anything goes wrong with this Jeep, I am gonna hunt you and that firecracker Jeep of yours and I will tie you up and force you to watch as I change your Jeep color into kaleidoscope color!! ;)

Joking! But I would relish the thought of tying you up for all your postings in this forum *G*

That was my first impression when I hear the whirring noise when I was driving home from the dealership. Glad that it is okay..... (I am not gonna jinx it - not because I am not superstitious but I am leery)

As for fuel... I run premium. You do not have to. The owners manual says 87 is fine. The computer will adapt for the lower octane and remove timing to prevent knocking or detonation. You'll also lose a little power like this. In general driving you may not notice the difference. In fuel mileage you may pick up 1 maybe to mpg running premium but I wouldn't hold my breadth. For me it's about the performance. That's why I chose the 2.0 and I want as much as it will give me, so I run premium.
In addition to the extra power I picked up 2mpg switching from 87 to 93. YMMV but it was totally worth it for me. If you have a Sam's club or Costco with a gas station near you, it might not even cost you enough extra to worry about at all.
Jim!! Ahhh gotcha about the addictive. So I guess with Turbo engine I don't have to worry about that. I did not know why people use premium gas - I thought that it was because expensive car need maintenance, and I did not even think about performance. I am a Torque 'ho (you get what I mean) and premium is gonna give me a boost then I am going to upgrade to premium. Thanks for the insight.

And Lucas, I do have Costco membership but I have never use the premium gas there before. However, I know a few gas station around me that have very competitive price - the premium gas is just maybe 40 cents extra (some gas stations that are owned by same person here charges over $1 extra on one of main road where it is filled with luxury condos). I don't like to pay extra so I go to places where gas prices are nominal. So premium it is!! Thanks for sharing. :like:
Sponsored