Sponsored

Dumping factory fill. What oil is everyone running?

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Cool! I didn't notice it because it is hard to see. Tell us more about it! It looks like a 2 door, which I'd bet really flies with that 3.6!

I DO believe Amsoil is VERY good oil, and may even possibly be the best on the market for some applications. It just is not my preference for a variety of personal reasons,
2 door, 2.0L turbo, automatic. If anyone made a better, longer lasting, better warranty oil than AMSOIL, i'd be running and selling that. But no one has in 47 years. I have 7 vehicles and glad I only have to change their oil and filters once a year and be covered in and outside of OEM warranties.
Sponsored

Last edited:

WranglerAdvs

First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JK Sahara, 2020 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Mobil 1 EP 5W-20 with Mobil 1 oil filter. Change oil every 5-7k miles.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Supertech 5W30 full synthetic. $15.88 for a 5-quart jug, and testing shows it to be better than most oils on the market and right up there with the expensive oils some of you are using. It's a no-brainer.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I've seen pics of engines on Bitog with very high mileage of Redline and they may be the cleanest I've seen at similar mileage. Maybe cleaner than the Mobil 1 engines (and yes, Amsoil, too), I've seen, which are VERY impressive. I found Redline at a Line-X shop and thought about buying it, but it was pretty darned expensive for their top oil. So for now, I'm sticking with Mobil 1 AP and the occasional SOPUS product that I pick up for a steal.
I get it from Summit or Jegs or buy directly from them. I have used their C+ transfluid in my 40TE in one of my Cruisers, their 75w-90 and 75w-140 in some of my differentials. They are a premium oil and I like the fact the sell cheater oils with a lot of old school additives that have been down graded in recent API specs. Factor in they have very low NOACK and very high HTHS and you know they are using a lot of Ester and Pao.

There is Synthetic then there is real synthetic, Amsoil and redline are my favorites. I think the high moly oils are the way to go now. Of course with DI I would use an oil with Magnesium vs the Calcium and the new formulations for Signature Series Amsoil would be a great choice in the 2.0T engine. The 3.6 probably doesnt matter what you use, but there are folks on this forum with cam issues and valve train noise so I guess a oil with high moly would be a better choice.

Per your debate with 2020 Sport, why get into a discussion on marketing? I love Amsoil, they have been a MLM for years but most people just sign up for a Preferred Customer account to buy wholesale. For the record there are 3 local NAPAs that carry the full line right in the store but not paying full retail.

Have some pics of valve covers removed on my home computer, will post later but they show how clean Amsoil keeps engines.

Reality is use what you want and change it often IMHO, I am not one of those long drain people, if I could fit a bypass filter in the engine bay would do so but they are too much of PITA to install now, ran them in the past on some 2.5 Dodge turbos and they work awesome but no room on newer cars. Plus oil is cheap, especially when you get it for free :)

Per Mobil1 recommending 25K miles way back, yes they did and they almost ruined the reputation of synthetic oil because the viscosity was a 20W as I recall and all the smucks started using it in cars design for loose 40W oils and thru consumption ran the engines out of oil and labelled it junk!

Product: Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil is released in Europe, becoming an instant hit among car enthusiasts and owners of expensive high-performance cars. Formulation changes are made to test a fuel-saving 5W-20 grade in the USA, which becomes Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil."
"

Sponsored

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Regardless of your favorite brand, no oil sold today that meets the minimum specs set forth by FCA will be harmful to your engine.

I appreciate the fact I can go to the local store and easily get my engine oil. I dont use Amsoil because I can get oil that IMO, is just as good and cheaper at Wally world.

Though IMO Amsoil severe Gear lube is probably the best on the market, for severe use, such as racing.
Im also a fan of Amsoil shock oil.
IMO Amsoil 2 stroke oil is some of the worst on the market.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Regardless of your favorite brand, no oil sold today that meets the minimum specs set forth by FCA will be harmful to your engine.

I appreciate the fact I can go to the local store and easily get my engine oil. I dont use Amsoil because I can get oil that IMO, is just as good and cheaper at Wally world.

Though IMO Amsoil severe Gear lube is probably the best on the market, for severe use, such as racing.
This is a good point. I'm sure amsoil is great. But acting like it is far superior to everything else on the market is ridiculous when everything you can get is REALLY good. The margin of betterment is very small. Something that is 250% more cost but only 0.0099% better. I'm not even saying I won't try it, but it loses integrity when its shoved at you with inaccurate or misleading or bias info.

I'm also using Severe Gear. I actually just ordered more so I have when I swap gears.

Halstem1

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fun fact about dealer oil though... most dealers use bulk oil and what is in there is likely not 100% whats supposed to be in there. Sometimes they combine oils to consolidate or sometimes its filtered or recycled oils. Unless you see someone open the bottle, its likely probably not as "pure" as you might think. My brother used to work for an oil distributor and they mixed oil all the time. And several dealers used a cheaper recycled products. He told me to never use bulk oil. Thats when I started using Mobil, because I don't even know if they produce a bulk option, or at least not around me.

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
My local dealer does bulk oil thru local Distributor, carries the Pennzoil grades. Uses the bottled stuff for like 0w-40 SRT since they dont sell much of that.

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
I appreciate your comment, Don. But, read further and you will see he did turn out to be an Amsoil dealer and every article he posted came from Amsoil, which sometimes disguises its articles to make them look independent. He also posted a video that was made to look like it was about the history of Mobil 1 that turned into an Amsoil promotion. I simply called him out, and he did admit it. He has also dodged sharing a pic of his Jeep, so I suspect that's cover to come in and sell his product, which is fine, but should be done with full transparency and as a registered vendor and as a member of the forum claiming to have a Jeep. I still suspect he's here solely to market the product. In fact, I also called him out because up to that point, every post he'd made as a member of this JL forum has been about Amsoil. Nothing about Jeeps or his Jeep. Nothing. I believe that is still the case. I still question whether he has a Jeep. Why? Because I've seen the Amsoil dealers do this time and time again, including on a Solstice forum, several Jeep forums, Ford truck forum, Chevy truck forum, ATV forums, and a Mercedes forum. They are down right famous for their marketing on Bitog. (Really infamous.) Hell, I'd think it was the same guy, if it weren't over a period of so many years.

I've ribbed him at times in good humor, and he's seemed fine with it and carried right on with his marketing, in spite of it. But at the end of the day, I've not at all bashed his product and I don't believe I've bashed him personally. Where I've been critical is in the stealthy way Amsoil dealers hawk their product through what I've termed as "silly" marketing scheme which behaves the way I've described.

They have an excellent product in Amsoil Signature Series synthetic oil. It can stand on its own without this method of hawking it on internet forums. As I said before, they are very consistent in their marketing scheme, which I find to be sneaky and a bit deceptive. They also make dubious statements, such as we've seen here, like Amsoil has never had a warranty claim in 47 years, or Amsoil has paid out warranty claims that really weren't the fault of the oil, or Amsoil has never had an oil related failure. In fact, he made the warranty statements right after a member posted that his company made a claim and Amsoil sent three technicians out for 3 days and wound up denying the warranty over a technicality.

Sorry, but I called him out on that. If that makes me a grinch, then ok, guilty as charged. I don't think I ever personally attacked him, and I know I never attacked the product or made claims that it was inferior in any way. I did refer to their marketing scheme, as silly, and I stand by that opinion. I even several time said it was an opinion. I think the discussion/debate has remained civil, although passionate.

If anybody was getting nasty here, Jay would have stepped in and made a warning or deleted posts. He's not done that, so my guess is that he's not thought it has violated standards of forum ediquette. He's permitted the discussion to run its course. If he had a problem with it, I would not hesitate to correct whatever content caused his concern.

I respect your opinion that I've been a grinch, but disagree with it, although at times my wife might stand with you on that on occasion!
That was well spoken and with many valid perspectives.

The Ten Commandments of Logic:

1. Thou shalt not attack the person's character, but the argument. (Ad hominem)

2. Thou shalt not misrepresent or exaggerate a person's argument in order to make them easier to attack. (Straw man fallacy)

3. Thou shalt not use small numbers to represent the whole.(Hasty generalizations)

4. Thou shalt not argue thy position by assuming one of its premises is true. (Begging the question)

5. Thou shalt not claim that because something occurred before, it must be the cause. (Post hoc/False cause)

6. Thou shalt not reduce the argument down to two possibilities.(False dichotomy)

7. Thou shalt not argue that because of our ignorance, claim must be true or false. (Ad ignorantum)

8. Thou shalt not lay the burden of proof onto him that is questioning the claim. (Burden of proof reversal)

9. Thou shalt not assume “this” follows “that” when it has no logical connection. (Non sequitir)

10. Thou shalt not argue that because a premise is popular, therefore it must be true. (Bandwagon fallacy)

Unknown

Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
2 of 4 free dealer oil changes. When the 4th is complete, I'll probably use Mobile Synthetic.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase

Well, not exactly. MS6395 is not a tough standard. Amsoil and Mobil 1 will both tell you their oils in the specified grade would easily exceed that standard. Mobil 1 will tell you that FCA simply won't allow them to have it, due to their relationship with Shell. They WILL, however, let Exxon Mobil have it for Mobil Super Synthetic because it is not considered a premium brand competitor to Pennzoil or Shell premium synthetics. I've also read that there was another issue with Exxon Mobil that pissed FCA off. IIRC, it was surrounding the recession of 2008 and supplies. Mobil 1 says it is the relationship with SOPUS, though. FCA hasn't commented, to my knowledge.

I believe Castrol may be another that doesn't get MS6395, and again, the likely culprit is its position as a competitor, especially in Europe, to Shell.

Remember, Mobil 1 is on Mercedes and Shell is on Ferrari in F1. That's a HUGE rivalry with implications beyond the F1 track.

Funny, though, Exxon Mobil and Shell buy some of each other's chemical products. I believe Exxon Mobil purchases Shell's gas to liquid base stock for some of its oils, and Shell buys some of Exxon Mobil's PAO base stocks for some of its oils. There's a lot of fighting as well as incest in the family that is the oil industry! Lol!

Also, I've seen several Jeep dealers that still offer Mobil 1 premium oil changes. My dealer does because they always have and they have brand loyal customers that insist on it.

I'd bet big money that if you tested Amsoil, Castrol, and Mobil 1 premium oils, or even their cheapest lines, they'd easily meet MS6395, which has been around for a good while. I wonder if that standard isn't kept around just for manipulating the market and making people think it is something special. Wouldn't be shocked.

Anyway, I like both SOPUS and M1, so the rivalry is amusing and entertaining, from my seat.

I'd guess the reason that Amsoil doesn't do MS6395 is because it would cost money that they just don't need to spend. Their market doesn't demand it and they flat out say they know their oil would breeze through it without breaking a sweat. Conventional oils easily meet it. No trouble for a good syn.

The spec your oil needs to meet is the SAE spec. For example, non-SN+ 5w30 can cause low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) in the 2.0 and would most certainly cause damage to the engine after while, with very unpleasant pinging/knocking.

srt20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR Ocean Blue
Well, not exactly. MS6395 is not a tough standard. Amsoil and Mobil 1 will both tell you their oils in the specified grade would easily exceed that standard. Mobil 1 will tell you that FCA simply won't allow them to have it, due to their relationship with Shell. They WILL, however, let Exxon Mobil have it for Mobil Super Synthetic because it is not considered a premium brand competitor to Pennzoil or Shell premium synthetics. I've also read that there was another issue with Exxon Mobil that pissed FCA off. IIRC, it was surrounding the recession of 2008 and supplies. Mobil 1 says it is the relationship with SOPUS, though. FCA hasn't commented, to my knowledge.

I believe Castrol may be another that doesn't get MS6395, and again, the likely culprit is its position as a competitor, especially in Europe, to Shell.

Remember, Mobil 1 is on Mercedes and Shell is on Ferrari in F1. That's a HUGE rivalry with implications beyond the F1 track.

Funny, though, Exxon Mobil and Shell buy some of each other's chemical products. I believe Exxon Mobil purchases Shell's gas to liquid base stock for some of its oils, and Shell buys some of Exxon Mobil's PAO base stocks for some of its oils. There's a lot of fighting as well as incest in the family that is the oil industry! Lol!

Also, I've seen several Jeep dealers that still offer Mobil 1 premium oil changes. My dealer does because they always have and they have brand loyal customers that insist on it.

I'd bet big money that if you tested Amsoil, Castrol, and Mobil 1 premium oils, or even their cheapest lines, they'd easily meet MS6395, which has been around for a good while. I wonder if that standard isn't kept around just for manipulating the market and making people think it is something special. Wouldn't be shocked.

Anyway, I like both SOPUS and M1, so the rivalry is amusing and entertaining, from my seat.

I'd guess the reason that Amsoil doesn't do MS6395 is because it would cost money that they just don't need to spend. Their market doesn't demand it and they flat out say they know their oil would breeze through it without breaking a sweat. Conventional oils easily meet it. No trouble for a good syn.

The spec your oil needs to meet is the SAE spec. For example, non-SN+ 5w30 can cause low speed pre-ignition (LSPI) in the 2.0 and would most certainly cause damage to the engine after while, with very unpleasant pinging/knocking.
So ummm, yeah. If it meets FCA min specs, it will not hurt your engine.
I did not say "if it doesn't meet FCA MS6395 it will not be as good for your engine."

Im well aware of all the licensing BS the OEMs play. Most people aren't, or we wouldn't be having this thread. Thats why I posted "no oil sold today that meets the minimum specs set forth by FCA will be harmful to your engine."

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
MS6395 is not a tough standard.
I found an older copy of MS-6395 and stored it on my GDrive (link below). I saw nothing in that standard that the cheapest SN oil could not meet.

Sponsored