Sponsored

Dumping factory fill. What oil is everyone running?

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Baby Sperm Whale oil and a toilet paper roll.
I club the baby Sperm Whales myself, drain out of a hole I drill in the baby's head and filter the oil through real Chamois skins I get from snare trapping young Chamois and tanning them in my bathtub.
Sponsored

Squatchaholic

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Wow...this thread has been entertaining and informative. Marketing an oil change interval at 25k is like marketing a soap that says you only need to shower once a month. No one's going to do it. Amsoil should buy a new JL and run their own 25k interval test. Lets see how the engine is doing after four oil changes and a 100k miles.

Back to the OP's question: I run either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 0-20 and a WIX filter. Basically whichever one O'Reilly's has on sale at the moment. I got stuck on WIX with my old JK and still use WIX in my JL.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
Wow...this thread has been entertaining and informative. Marketing an oil change interval at 25k is like marketing a soap that says you only need to shower once a month. No one's going to do it. Amsoil should buy a new JL and run their own 25k interval test. Lets see how the engine is doing after four oil changes and a 100k miles.

Back to the OP's question: I run either Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum full synthetic 0-20 and a WIX filter. Basically whichever one O'Reilly's has on sale at the moment. I got stuck on WIX with my old JK and still use WIX in my JL.
25,000 mile oil changes have been marketed by AMSOIL for 47 years and by Mobil 1 for 3. No problems. Here is an engine that has run 4 25,000 mile oil changes for 100,000 miles. https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g2880.pdf?zo=1181889 ."
Preserves Horsepower
The extreme durability of Signature Series Motor Oil ensures your engine runs stronger, for longer. We installed Signature Series 5W-30 Synthetic Motor Oil in a Ford* F-150 with a new 3.5L Ecoboost engine to test its ability to protect turbocharged direct-injection (TDGI) engines from torque and horsepower loss during extended drain intervals up to 25,000 miles. Power sweeps were done at the beginning and end of the test to evaluate horsepower and torque retention. As the graph shows, Signature Series helped maintain engine performance throughout the 100,000 mile test."

Here is a police department that has run 20,000 mile AMSOIL oil changes for 7+ years. https://www.amsoil.com/newsstand/te...department-cuts-costs-with-amsoil/?zo=1181889 . "For seven years, we have been on a 20,000-mile oil change interval using AMSOIL motor oil and AMSOIL filters. During that time we have experienced zero oil-related engine issues. Our experience has been equally successful in Ford Crown Victorias, Dodge Chargers and Chevy Tahoes. Thanks for making great products that police departments like ours can rely on. We look forward to using AMSOIL lubricants for many years to come."

Last edited:

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
More Amsoil marketing literature. "5th best selling synthetic oil in quick lubes in the US". Sounds alot better than 4% market share.

It then goes on to tout all the other Amsoil products.

Let's be transparent. Are you an Amsoil dealer?

I Googled Syntheticoils.us articles, btw. Everything comes up Amsoil. Hmmm.

Want to discuss again Amsoil's silly marketing? You are giving us a 400 level course on it right now.
Please re-frame from being such a Grinch, as it doesn't reflect well upon you and I suspect that you are a finer person than that....

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Please re-frame from being such a Grinch, as it doesn't reflect well upon you and I suspect that you are a finer person than that....
I appreciate your comment, Don. But, read further and you will see he did turn out to be an Amsoil dealer and every article he posted came from Amsoil, which sometimes disguises its articles to make them look independent. He also posted a video that was made to look like it was about the history of Mobil 1 that turned into an Amsoil promotion. I simply called him out, and he did admit it. He has also dodged sharing a pic of his Jeep, so I suspect that's cover to come in and sell his product, which is fine, but should be done with full transparency and as a registered vendor and as a member of the forum claiming to have a Jeep. I still suspect he's here solely to market the product. In fact, I also called him out because up to that point, every post he'd made as a member of this JL forum has been about Amsoil. Nothing about Jeeps or his Jeep. Nothing. I believe that is still the case. I still question whether he has a Jeep. Why? Because I've seen the Amsoil dealers do this time and time again, including on a Solstice forum, several Jeep forums, Ford truck forum, Chevy truck forum, ATV forums, and a Mercedes forum. They are down right famous for their marketing on Bitog. (Really infamous.) Hell, I'd think it was the same guy, if it weren't over a period of so many years.

I've ribbed him at times in good humor, and he's seemed fine with it and carried right on with his marketing, in spite of it. But at the end of the day, I've not at all bashed his product and I don't believe I've bashed him personally. Where I've been critical is in the stealthy way Amsoil dealers hawk their product through what I've termed as "silly" marketing scheme which behaves the way I've described.

They have an excellent product in Amsoil Signature Series synthetic oil. It can stand on its own without this method of hawking it on internet forums. As I said before, they are very consistent in their marketing scheme, which I find to be sneaky and a bit deceptive. They also make dubious statements, such as we've seen here, like Amsoil has never had a warranty claim in 47 years, or Amsoil has paid out warranty claims that really weren't the fault of the oil, or Amsoil has never had an oil related failure. In fact, he made the warranty statements right after a member posted that his company made a claim and Amsoil sent three technicians out for 3 days and wound up denying the warranty over a technicality.

Sorry, but I called him out on that. If that makes me a grinch, then ok, guilty as charged. I don't think I ever personally attacked him, and I know I never attacked the product or made claims that it was inferior in any way. I did refer to their marketing scheme, as silly, and I stand by that opinion. I even several time said it was an opinion. I think the discussion/debate has remained civil, although passionate.

If anybody was getting nasty here, Jay would have stepped in and made a warning or deleted posts. He's not done that, so my guess is that he's not thought it has violated standards of forum ediquette. He's permitted the discussion to run its course. If he had a problem with it, I would not hesitate to correct whatever content caused his concern.

I respect your opinion that I've been a grinch, but disagree with it, although at times my wife might stand with you on that on occasion!

Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
Anybody use redline?
I am going to give them a shot. looking at the Oil Analysis over at BITOG oil forum, some of the Redline cheater oils are highly additized with lots of Moly, Boron ,Zinc and Phosphorous, run on the higher end on viscosity too, not like the wimpy ILSAC GS5 SN oils. All good stuff. They exceed
the SN limits on Zinc, Phosphorus and hammer the moly.

I also have used Amsoil, they seem to adhere to the SN limits on all there SS oils, so lot less Zinc and Phosphorous, they have like 200+ ppm of moly in there oils. I think Redline uses a lot more Esters in their formulations.

I have a preferred customer account with Amsoil and have been using there oil and lubes and filters since 1983. Very good oils and to be truthful I never worried about how they marketed their products. They and Redline push the envelope and if your will to pay premium for oil they have good oils.

I just changed the oil in my SRT to the Redline 5w-40 per guys on Challenger forums advice, from the Penzoil Ultra SRT 0w-40. The Redline is a heavier oil, has a lot more moly (which the SRT engineers wanted in the PP 0w-40 which has 200 +/- ppm moly) and low Noack at 6% and nice 4.4 HTHS. Just starting it up and valve train is now very quiet, big difference, so will see how it works out. Sad part is I am an oil addict. Got like 60 qts of the 0w-40 SRT oil on clearance for 2$ a qt a few years back. Also have lots of others on the shelf. One score was Penzoil Ultra 5w-30, got 70 qts for 2$ per and then a 2$ rebate from Penzoil for 48 of the qts :) Did like wise last Dec on some Shell syn Rotella Gas truck oil, got 4 5qt jugs for free after rebate. So have large stash of various flavors, PU, PP, Valvolin, Mobil1 EP ,AFE, Castrol edge etc

Kind of like beer, do you want Gearys, Shipyard, Magic Hat, or Sams, so many choices :)

Redline 5W-30 4/18 anlaysis

Blackstone Labs:
Iron: 1
Molybdenum: 570
Boron: 101
Silicon: 14
Sodium: 14
Calcium: 2780
Magnesium: 6
Phosphorus: 1165
Zinc: 1226

SUS Viscosity @ 40C: 65.2
cSt Viscosity @ 100�C: 11.67
Flashpoint: 455�F
NOACK 6%
HTHS 3.7

Redline 5w-20

Molybdenum: 587
Boron: 122
Silicon: 17
Sodium: 18
Calcium: 2737
Magnesium: 5
Phosphorus: 1076
Zinc: 1121

SUS Viscosity @ 40C: 53
cSt Viscosity @ 100�C: 9.0
Flashpoint: 455� F
NOACK 8%
HTHS 3.0

Redline 0w-20

Molybdenum: 566
Boron: 111
Calcium: 2719
Magnesium: 9
Phosphorus: 1090
Zinc: 1181

NOACK 9%
HTHS 2.9

Redline 5W-40

Molybdenum: 577
Boron: 119
Sodium: 16
Calcium: 2988
Phosphorus: 1109
Zinc: 1186

SUS Viscosity @ 40C: 77.1
cSt Viscosity @ 100�C: 14.8
Flashpoint: 440�F

NOACK 6%
HTHS 4.4

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
This youtube "Project Farm" has a good series over there, no doubt you've seen them~
Sorry but those videos dont really test oils in a ASTM method, I would not put much credance in his tests, he is like Kilmer, it is all about the clicks for them to make $$$$

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer

I just checked the M1 site and found out in all the dozen or so M1 oil lines, only 3 are represented by them as compatible with our 3.6L engines: Mobil1 Super Synthetic, Mobil1 Full Synthetic, and Mobil1 Full Synthetic High Mileage.

BigBruse

First Name
Robbie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep rubicon
I am going to give them a shot. looking at the Oil Analysis over at BITOG oil forum, some of the Redline cheater oils are highly additized with lots of Moly, Boron ,Zinc and Phosphorous, run on the higher end on viscosity too, not like the wimpy ILSAC GS5 SN oils. All good stuff. They exceed

I also have used Amsoil, they seem to adhere to the SN limits on all there SS oils, so lot less Zinc and Phosphorous, they have like 200+ ppm of moly in there oils. I think Redline uses a lot more Esters in their formulations.

I have a preferred customer account with Amsoil and have been using there oil and lubes and filters since 1983. Very good oils and to be truthful I never worried about how they marketed their products. They and Redline push the envelope and if your will to pay premium for oil they have good oils.

I just changed the oil in my SRT to the Redline 5w-40 per guys on Challenger forums advice, from the Penzoil Ultra SRT 0w-40. The Redline is a heavier oil, has a lot more moly (which the SRT engineers wanted in the PP 0w-40 which has 200 +/- ppm moly) and low Noack at 6% and nice 4.4 HTHS. Just starting it up and valve train is now very quiet, big difference, so will see how it works out. Sad part is I am an oil addict. Got like 60 qts of the 0w-40 SRT oil on clearance for 2$ a qt a few years back. Also have lots of others on the shelf. One score was Penzoil Ultra 5w-30, got 70 qts for 2$ per and then a 2$ rebate from Penzoil for 48 of the qts :) Did like wise last Dec on some Shell syn Rotella Gas truck oil, got 4 5qt jugs for free after rebate. So have large stash of various flavors, PU, PP, Valvolin, Mobil1 EP ,AFE, Castrol edge etc

Kind of like beer, do you want Gearys, Shipyard, Magic Hat, or Sams, so many choices :)

Blackstone Labs:

NOACK 6%
HTHS 3.7

Redline 5w-20

NOACK 8%
HTHS 3.0

Redline 0w-20

NOACK 9%
HTHS 2.9

Redline 5W-40

NOACK 6%
HTHS 4.4
Awesome information!!!! Thanks

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
But, read further and you will see he did turn out to be an Amsoil dealer and every article he posted came from Amsoil, which sometimes disguises its articles to make them look independent. He also posted a video that was made to look like it was about the history of Mobil 1 that turned into an Amsoil promotion. I simply called him out, and he did admit it. He has also dodged sharing a pic of his Jeep, so I suspect that's cover to come in and sell his product, which is fine, but should be done with full transparency and as a registered vendor and as a member of the forum claiming to have a Jeep. I still suspect he's here solely to market the product. In fact, I also called him out because up to that point, every post he'd made as a member of this JL forum has been about Amsoil. Nothing about Jeeps or his Jeep. Nothing. I believe that is still the case. I still question whether he has a Jeep. Why? Because I've seen the Amsoil dealers do this time and time again, including on a Solstice forum, several Jeep forums, Ford truck forum, Chevy truck forum, ATV forums, and a Mercedes forum. They are down right famous for their marketing on Bitog. (Really infamous.) Hell, I'd think it was the same guy, if it weren't over a period of so many years.
Fully agree and in my experience you perfectly describe the typical Amsoil "dealer" (though there are some who are truly helpful without the agenda). The examples here are no different--plenty of deflection and/or obfuscation combined with the parroting of marketing information. To further your thoughts, when someone comes into a popular forum and is in full sales mode, the question becomes at what point are they required to become a registered vendor and pay any required fees like other vendors do (if that is how the forum operates).

In any event, it is clear what the agenda related to this person is and it is not about Jeeps...

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Much of which Dan stated is not true.

" every article he posted came from Amsoil, which sometimes disguises its articles to make them look independent." I also posted approved oil lists from Mercedes, Porsche and VW as some thought AMSOIL was not approved by any manufacturers. AMSOIL has 42 oils listed at API.org as API certified which manufacturers recommend. I also posted an article from Popular Science from 1976 to show many oil companies marketed extended oil change synthetic oils, including Mobil 1.

"He also posted a video that was made to look like it was about the history of Mobil 1 that turned into an Amsoil promotion. " I only posted it as some though Mobil 1 never marketed a 25,000 mile oil, which of course, they did and that was discussed in the video. "I simply called him out, and he did admit it." No i didn't if you are talking about the video.

"He has also dodged sharing a pic of his Jeep, so I suspect that's cover to come in and sell his product, which is fine, but should be done with full transparency and as a registered vendor and as a member of the forum claiming to have a Jeep." My user name and avatar should make it clear I own a Wrangler.

"I still suspect he's here solely to market the product. In fact, I also called him out because up to that point, every post he'd made as a member of this JL forum has been about Amsoil." I've made it clear I am here to learn about my Wrangler, and not to sell AMSOIL. Also to dispel the wild myths such as AMSOIL is a Pyramid Scheme, will void your factory warranty if you extend your AMSOIL oil change intervals, (none have ever been voided) and other myths that come up. I can also provide information when requested such as to show 25,000 mile oil changes over 100,000 mile results, and that many do extended oil change intervals, and how to get AMSOIL at $5 a quart. I feel my 27 years as a Shell Oil chemist and 16 years will be valuable to the forum for most oil and filter related questions.

"Nothing about Jeeps or his Jeep. Nothing. I believe that is still the case." Not true. I discussed my strategy for my first upcoming oil change (the subject of this thread) and following oil changes at my Jeep Dealership which is also an AMSOIL retailer as is another one nearby. "I still question whether he has a Jeep." You are welcome to visit and see for yourself. Excellent riding here in the Ocala National Forest. If you have a question about my Wrangler, ask away.

"They also make dubious statements, such as we've seen here, like Amsoil has never had a warranty claim in 47 years, or Amsoil has paid out warranty claims that really weren't the fault of the oil, or Amsoil has never had an oil related failure." I never said AMSOIL has never had a Warranty Claim. The rest is true. "In fact, he made the warranty statements right after a member posted that his company made a claim and Amsoil sent three technicians out for 3 days and wound up denying the warranty over a technicality." No one here knows why the claim was denied as the report was not made public. It could be because the oil did not fail, a defective part, excessive coolant, dirt, fuel contamination, adding additional additives, or other reasons.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Much of which Dan stated is not true.

" every article he posted came from Amsoil, which sometimes disguises its articles to make them look independent." I also posted approved oil lists from Mercedes, Porsche and VW as some thought AMSOIL was not approved by any manufacturers. AMSOIL has 42 oils listed at API.org as API certified which manufacturers recommend. I also posted an article from Popular Science from 1976 to show many oil companies marketed extended oil change synthetic oils, including Mobil 1.

"He also posted a video that was made to look like it was about the history of Mobil 1 that turned into an Amsoil promotion. " I only posted it as some though Mobil 1 never marketed a 25,000 mile oil, which of course, they did and that was discussed in the video. "I simply called him out, and he did admit it." No i didn't if you are talking about the video.

"He has also dodged sharing a pic of his Jeep, so I suspect that's cover to come in and sell his product, which is fine, but should be done with full transparency and as a registered vendor and as a member of the forum claiming to have a Jeep." My user name and avatar should make it clear I own a Wrangler.

"I still suspect he's here solely to market the product. In fact, I also called him out because up to that point, every post he'd made as a member of this JL forum has been about Amsoil." I've made it clear I am here to learn about my Wrangler, and not to sell AMSOIL. Also to dispel the wild myths such as AMSOIL is a Pyramid Scheme, will void your factory warranty if you extend your AMSOIL oil change intervals, (none have ever been voided) and other myths that come up. I can also provide information when requested such as to show 25,000 mile oil changes over 100,000 mile results, and that many do extended oil change intervals, and how to get AMSOIL at $5 a quart. I feel my 27 years as a Shell Oil chemist and 16 years will be valuable to the forum for most oil and filter related questions.

"Nothing about Jeeps or his Jeep. Nothing. I believe that is still the case." Not true. I discussed my strategy for my first upcoming oil change (the subject of this thread) and following oil changes at my Jeep Dealership which is also an AMSOIL retailer as is another one nearby. "I still question whether he has a Jeep." You are welcome to visit and see for yourself. Excellent riding here in the Ocala National Forest. If you have a question about my Wrangler, ask away.

"They also make dubious statements, such as we've seen here, like Amsoil has never had a warranty claim in 47 years, or Amsoil has paid out warranty claims that really weren't the fault of the oil, or Amsoil has never had an oil related failure." I never said AMSOIL has never had a Warranty Claim. The rest is true. "In fact, he made the warranty statements right after a member posted that his company made a claim and Amsoil sent three technicians out for 3 days and wound up denying the warranty over a technicality." No one here knows why the claim was denied as the report was not made public. It could be because the oil did not fail, a defective part, excessive coolant, dirt, fuel contamination, adding additional additives, or other reasons.
Prove me wrong. The M1 video had a bottle of Amsoil dancing right across it. That right there made it suspect.

I'll let everyone read through the thread and decide for themselves, if they have the stomach for it. Besides that, I was referring to the point I was quoted by Don. At the point I made the post where he thought I was a grinch, you had posted nothing about your Jeep. And you still haven't posted even a pic of it.

I must say, though, that this post is refreshing, as it is the first one, I think, that isn't about Amsoil, but rather is about me. Progress!

For others, judge for yourself. My opinion is that he is here to sell Amsoil.

P.S.....Still would love to see that Sport of yours.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prove me wrong. The M1 video had a bottle of Amsoil dancing right across it. That right there made it suspect.

I'll let everyone read through the thread and decide for themselves, if they have the stomach for it. Besides that, I was referring to the point I was quoted by Don. At the point I made the post where he thought I was a grinch, you had posted nothing about your Jeep. And you still haven't posted even a pic of it.

I must say, though, that this post is refreshing, as it is the first one, I think, that isn't about Amsoil, but rather is about me. Progress!

For others, judge for yourself. My opinion is that he is here to sell Amsoil.

P.S.....Still would love to see that Sport of yours.
Again, the point of the video was to provide proof that Mobil 1 at one time marketed 25,000 mile oil as some didn't believe they did. I didn't watch it past the 2 or 3 minute mark after he showed the back of the Mobil 1 bottle stating 25,000 mile oil changes.

Again, a picture of my Wrangler is in my Avatar. Has been for days.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Blackstone Labs:

NOACK 6%
HTHS 3.7

Redline 5w-20

NOACK 8%
HTHS 3.0

Redline 0w-20

NOACK 9%
HTHS 2.9

Redline 5W-40

NOACK 6%
HTHS 4.4
I've seen pics of engines on Bitog with very high mileage of Redline and they may be the cleanest I've seen at similar mileage. Maybe cleaner than the Mobil 1 engines (and yes, Amsoil, too), I've seen, which are VERY impressive. I found Redline at a Line-X shop and thought about buying it, but it was pretty darned expensive for their top oil. So for now, I'm sticking with Mobil 1 AP and the occasional SOPUS product that I pick up for a steal.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Again, the point of the video was to provide proof that Mobil 1 at one time marketed 25,000 mile oil as some didn't believe they did. I didn't watch it past the 2 or 3 minute mark after he showed the back of the Mobil 1 bottle stating 25,000 mile oil changes.

Again, a picture of my Wrangler is in my Avatar. Has been for days.
Cool! I didn't notice it because it is hard to see. Tell us more about it! It looks like a 2 door, which I'd bet really flies with that 3.6!

My only point with the video, which I did find interesting, was that once again, Amsoil stuck its nose in there, as has been par for the course.

I didn't remember that M1 actually recommended 25k OCI's. I was just a kid then and didn't care about motor oil until years later. I actually believe today you could run M1 AP 25k and it would hold up to it, most certainly in a non-DI engine such as the 3.6, and probably as well as Amsoil. But "serviceable" condition at 25k doesn't inspire confidence, at least with me. I still run AP because of the PAO base's properties that give it higher performance at extreme temperatures, low Noack, etc. It is just an increased margin of safety over less capable oils that would still easily work well for my engine. It boils down to preference. And fun. I actually enjoy changing oil and maintaining my Jeeps. I also enjoy seeing the UOA's and getting some data, even if it has become boringly consistent at this point, with which I'm fine. In fact, it has been pretty consistent across the different oils, from M1 AP to EP to Pennzoil Ultra. I don't count the factory fill because it was so full of manufacturing and break-in crap. But it still looked pretty good in terms of viscosity and such. I suspect it was Pennzoil Gold, but nobody knows, for sure.

And once again, in case somebody reads something in here that isn't here, I DO believe Amsoil is VERY good oil, and may even possibly be the best on the market for some applications. It just is not my preference for a variety of personal reasons, including the wonky marketing practices which have been beaten to death here. If Amsoil gave it to me, I'd run it and be confident in it. If not, I'll continue on the pattern I'm on, which has worked well for all of my engines.
Sponsored

Last edited: