Sponsored

Dumping factory fill. What oil is everyone running?

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Getting there...."approval." Now show us "recommended." Still a little reach, IMHO. Basically they are mentioning any oil that meets the spec.

They list every oil that meets the spec. It is some nice Amsoil marketing to stretch that into "recommended".

It would be more accurate to say "Amsoil meets Porsche specs." You could probably accurately say it exceeds them.

I think we're splitting hairs, but that's the rub with Amsoil. They do that kind of marketing alot. What's funny is that it isn't really necessary. They have a great oil that stands on its own, but they hawk it like a cousin that keeps trying to push Amway on you.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Being on an "approved" list with 100 other brands is not what I would call a recommendation.
They recommend using an oil from the approved lists.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Getting there...."approval." Now show us "recommended." Still a little reach, IMHO. Basically they are mentioning any oil that meets the spec.

They list every oil that meets the spec. It is some nice Amsoil marketing to stretch that into "recommended".

It would be more accurate to say "Amsoil meets Porsche specs." You could probably accurately say it exceeds them.

I think we're splitting hairs, but that's the rub with Amsoil. They do that kind of marketing alot. What's funny is that it isn't really necessary. They have a great oil that stands on its own, but they hawk it like a cousin that keeps trying to push Amway on you.
They recommend using an oil found on their approved oil lists. Nothing wrong or incorrect about AMSOIL's marketing. The products perform as they state. No oil company has ever proven them wrong. The oils have never failed in 47 years, and if they ever do, they pay for repairs. A+ rating with BBB. No government or consumer agency issues. Not sure how much clearer they can be.

Sponsored

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm sure Amsoil is great oil. There are also other amazing oils out there that are available in stores and more reasonably priced.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sure Amsoil is great oil. There are also other amazing oils out there that are available in stores and more reasonably priced.
Such as? Be specific. AMSOIL 100% full synthetic starts at under $5 a quart everyday. and often delivers for free overnight. AMSOIL is available in thousands of stores and some Jeep Dealerships.

Last edited:

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
They recommend using an oil found on their approved oil lists. Nothing wrong or incorrect about AMSOIL's marketing. The products perform as they state. No oil company has ever proven them wrong. The oils have never failed in 47 years, and if they ever do, they pay for repairs. A+ rating with BBB. No government or consumer agency issues. Not sure how much clearer they can be.
Nearly every brand is on that list. I know you understand the difference between being approved and recommended, but since you want to be pendatic: the word "recommend" is not even in the document you linked to.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nearly every brand is on that list. I know you understand the difference between being approved and recommended, but since you want to be pendatic: the word "recommend" is not even in the document you linked to.
In the owners manual the manufacturers recommend to use oils on their approved list. And the Mercedes list says "
229.5 Multigrade service engine oils
The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.
We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
We recommend using only products

1. which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz.
  2. Which are listed in the current MB BeVo. Only listed products are tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz."

beaups

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL
In the owners manual the manufacturers recommend to use oils on their approved list.
The owners manual you didn't provide a link to? In my experience manufacturers *require* you to use an oil that meets their specifications. This still is very different than a recommendation. For a example, my Alfa QV recommendsled penzoil or Selenas depending what region you are in. There was a sticker under the hood as such. My M5 recommended Castrol right on the oil filler cap. Those are "recommendations". Being "certified" or "approved" is important, I agree, bit it is not a "recommendation".

Sponsored

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The owners manual you didn't provide a link to? In my experience manufacturers *require* you to use an oil that meets their specifications. This still is very different than a recommendation. For a example, my Alfa QV recommendsled penzoil or Selenas depending what region you are in. There was a sticker under the hood as such. My M5 recommended Castrol right on the oil filler cap. Those are "recommendations". Being "certified" or "approved" is important, I agree, bit it is not a "recommendation".
And the Mercedes list says "
229.5 Multigrade service engine oils
The following product list should help you to select the correct operating fluid for your vehicle/major assembly from the variety of products in the market.
We are recommending to use exclusively the products listed in the following overview, because only these products have been tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz.
We recommend using only products

1. which are distinctly marked with the label indicating the approval of Mercedes-Benz, e.g. “MB-Approval 229.51”. Labels referring e.g. to “MB 229.51” don't have an approval of Mercedes-Benz.
  2. Which are listed in the current MB BeVo. Only listed products are tested and approved by Mercedes-Benz."

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Such as? Be specific. AMSOIL 100% full synthetic starts at under $5 a quart everyday. and often delivers for free overnight. AMSOIL is available in thousands of stores and some Jeep Dealerships.
You are starting to sound like that cousin....

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Audi states that VW approved oils such as AMSOIL are recommended for Audi. A MSOIL is found on Mercedes, VW and Porsche approved oil lists. And found here https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf?zo=1181889 .
What AMSOIL boys? From Superior, Wisconsin corporate or a local Dealer? Was the oil analyzed? Was AMSOIL tech service contacted and formal oil and parts analysis performed? Do you have a written report from AMSOIL Inc?
You are quoting what Amsoil says which means nothing. And without a Amsoil written report my statement about a failure also means nothing. But they did come up from their head office I believe, 3 clowns one in a lab coat, set up in our shop. They were there for 2 days and in the end it was down to proper oil sampling was not performed so no warranty. The written report was given to our customer, after which it cost him $$$ for a new camshaft.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are quoting what Amsoil says which means nothing. And without a Amsoil written report my statement about a failure also means nothing. But they did come up from their head office I believe, 3 clowns one in a lab coat, set up in our shop. They were there for 2 days and in the end it was down to proper oil sampling was not performed so no warranty. The written report was given to our customer, after which it cost him $$$ for a new camshaft.
Without proper oil sampling and oil analysis, there is no proof it was AMSOIL in the engine, or if it was AMSOIL, that the oil failed. Could have been a different brand oil, the wrong AMSOIL, an oil additive, coolant or fuel contamination, or a part failure. Without looking at the report it would be hard to say.

Last edited:

DonBindas

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ordered a 2020 JL Rubicon Unlimited in Bikini with Dark Saddle Leather on 7-8-19 and was delivered by Criswell 8-22-19
Occupation
KBB Analyst
All are not going to recommend 25K intervals, but from my late model Mopars the oil life monitors seem to indicate 10K for oil lifespan for my driving.

I always change at 4-5K max with decent oil. Oil is cheap, and while some of these synthetics can go longer, I am more concerned about the filtration. Would rather dump the oil more frequently for that reason and keep the engine clean.

I also prefer higher viscosity, not a fan of 20W oil but run whatever you like, it is your engine.

How many are changing the lubes in the diffs and T-case.
Mopars the oil life monitors seem to indicate 10K for oil lifespan for my driving?

The only monitor that I know of is an algorithm computation of how many times the vehicle has been started and how long the trips were.

So, most likely it is a guesstimate?
Sponsored