Sponsored

Dumping factory fill. What oil is everyone running?

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
All are not going to recommend 25K intervals, but from my late model Mopars the oil life monitors seem to indicate 10K for oil lifespan for my driving.

I always change at 4-5K max with decent oil. Oil is cheap, and while some of these synthetics can go longer, I am more concerned about the filtration. Would rather dump the oil more frequently for that reason and keep the engine clean.

I also prefer higher viscosity, not a fan of 20W oil but run whatever you like, it is your engine.

How many are changing the lubes in the diffs and T-case.
I have not done the T-Case as yet, but have some Ravenol on deck to do so after I use it a few more times. However, I did change the front and rear axle oil and my advice to everyone is to dump it far sooner than you planned--particularly the rear axle which was loaded with iron after only 5K miles:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-axle-oc-uoa-results.42567/
Sponsored

VNT

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SRT Challenger, 2015 Hemi Overland, 02 WJ 4.7, 2000 Durango, PT Cruisers, 2018 Punkn Sahara 2020 OB Rubicon
I have not done the T-Case as yet, but have some Ravenol on deck to do so after I use it a few more times. However, I did change the front and rear axle oil and my advice to everyone is to dump it far sooner than you planned--particularly the rear axle which was loaded with iron after only 5K miles:

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/first-axle-oc-uoa-results.42567/
Smart, I have changed the lubes in the wife's Sahara twice including the T-case, used Some Redline 75w-140 in the rear diff and Amsoil 75w-110 in the front. Also used Amsoil ATF in the t-case. My rubicon is parked for winter nap, so only has 150 miles on it. Will put a few more mile on is and probably change it this summer with same lubes.

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Sport 2 door Bikini Pearl
How do you define high quality oil? I couldn't find any engine manufacturers that recommend Amsoil and their 25,000 mile change interval is outrageous.
Pennzoil.jpg
Mercedes, VW, Audi and Porsche all recommend AMSOIL. AMSOIL meets all warranty requirements for all vehicles, even with extended oil change intervals. Their 25,000 normal mile, 15,000 severe service mile, 1 year oil has been proven for 47 years with used oil analysis and no oil failures. It is not how many miles on the oil that is important, but the condition of the oil at the mileage.

Germansheperd

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2019 HD FLHXS, 2018 Taurus, 2008 Mustang GT, 1994 Z28
Mercedes, VW, Audi and Porsche all recommend AMSOIL. AMSOIL meets all warranty requirements for all vehicles, even with extended oil change intervals. Their 25,000 normal mile, 15,000 severe service mile, 1 year oil has been proven for 47 years with used oil analysis and no oil failures. It is not how many miles on the oil that is important, but the condition of the oil at the mileage.
I believe in the Easter bunny too

Sponsored

Jelllo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
I'm not sure where you get your info from, Audi has a tech bulletin that states all the approved oils and Amsoil isn't listed. As I stated before, I can't find any manufacturer that uses it for factory fill or recommends it.
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf
The only experience I have with Amsoil is one of our customers was using it in his Cummins ISX (15 liter engine in a highway tractor) and it had excessive top end wear to the point that he needed a new camshaft. The Amsoil boys came to the shop and inspected the wear and denied any warranty, giving some bs excuse. Personally I'll just stick to what FCA recommends.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Linky? I've never heard of them recommending Amsoil, either. Don't get me wrong, I think it is outstanding oil. I just think it is a niche or boutique oil and would be very surprised to see a manufacturer come right out and specify or recommend it.

I've searched and I see Amsoil recommending their own oil for Porsche, but nothing about Porsche recommending it by name. Looking for VW/Audi and I don't see them mentioning it, either.

Last edited:

plex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Weekend keyboard mechanic and beer drinker
Vehicle Showcase
One good thing about 0w20 is that you can only find synthetic one, there will be no chance to have conventional 0w20.

jeepdabest

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sahara
I'm trying an oil called Really Shitty 0w20. It's brown and has a funky odor but the manufacturer says it runs and runs.

Sponsored

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
These oil threads get as divisive as political threads, glad there's so many quality choices for the first part :)

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm not sure where you get your info from, Audi has a tech bulletin that states all the approved oils and Amsoil isn't listed. As I stated before, I can't find any manufacturer that uses it for factory fill or recommends it.
https://www.audiusa.com/content/dam...2017-Technical-Service-Bulletin-1.22.2018.pdf
The only experience I have with Amsoil is one of our customers was using it in his Cummins ISX (15 liter engine in a highway tractor) and it had excessive top end wear to the point that he needed a new camshaft. The Amsoil boys came to the shop and inspected the wear and denied any warranty, giving some bs excuse. Personally I'll just stick to what FCA recommends.
Audi states that VW approved oils such as AMSOIL are recommended for Audi. AMSOIL is found on Mercedes, VW and Porsche approved oil lists. And found here https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf?zo=1181889 .
What AMSOIL boys? From Superior, Wisconsin corporate or a local Dealer? Was the oil analyzed? Was AMSOIL tech service contacted and formal oil and parts analysis performed? Do you have a written report from AMSOIL Inc?

Last edited:

2020Sport

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Linky? I've never heard of them recommending Amsoil, either. Don't get me wrong, I think it is outstanding oil. I just think it is a niche or boutique oil and would be very surprised to see a manufacturer come right out and specify or recommend it.

I've searched and I see Amsoil recommending their own oil for Porsche, but nothing about Porsche recommending it by name. Looking for VW/Audi and I don't see them mentioning it, either.
https://amsoilcontent.com/ams/lit/databulletins/g3395.pdf?zo=1181889

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase