Sponsored

Dumb Question, "idling" in electric mode.

ElHobbz

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 4wd Tacoma OR
I know this is a dumb question just bare with me....

Can I just "idle" in electric mode and have the A/C blasting? Specifically for when I go to a drive-inn movie theater. Seems like the tesla folk stay inside with A/C and use vehicle speakers for the movie. At times I would like to be able to do the same.

I have come to enjoy drive-inn theaters but would like to use car stereo and A/C while enjoying a movie sometimes.
Sponsored

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe

Can I just "idle" in electric mode and have the A/C blasting? Specifically for when I go to a drive-inn movie theater. Seems like the tesla folk stay inside with A/C and use vehicle speakers for the movie. At times I would like to be able to do the same.

I have come to enjoy drive-inn theaters but would like to use car stereo and A/C while enjoying a movie sometimes.
Not a dumb question at all, I was interested in this but couldn't find it as well.

After 2+ weeks with mine, all A/C & Heat functions work under EV mode. So yes, A/C does in fact run in EV mode (even at a stoplight), and same for heat (+seats, etc). Granted, you do use power from the larger battery (sometimes significantly), but it can be done.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires

Yes as they are all electric. In some other vehicles you lose AC/Heat when the motor is off as they rely on the motor running.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I saw a YouTube video saying the A/C compressor was electric instead of ran off the belt in the 4xe so youā€™re all good. That same video, however, also said that the 4xe does not have an electric heater for the HVAC so if you turn on the heat, the engine will have to come on in order to warm the coolant so it can then pass thru the HVAC system to warm the cabin air. But others here are saying that heat is also electric in the 4xe so maybe the YouTube video was wrong and thatā€™s even better!

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I may have read it will power off after 30 minutes. So a whole movie might be tough.

What we need is a drive in with charging!

Sponsored

Stale

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Iā€™ve noticed that accessory mode does turn off at 30 minutes, and in accessory mode no heat or A/C work.

though with the ignition in run mode & ā€˜electricā€™ mode selected (no engine running), heat and A/C both work. Heater is definitely electric (though maybe thereā€™s a dual system depending on the engine coolant temp? Not sure on that). I will say that the heater can drain power pretty aggressively, but it definitely gets pretty hot quick.

Sboden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4Xe, 2.5" lift, 17" wheels, 37" tires
Iā€™ve noticed that accessory mode does turn off at 30 minutes, and in accessory mode no heat or A/C work.

though with the ignition in run mode & ā€˜electricā€™ mode selected (no engine running), heat and A/C both work. Heater is definitely electric (though maybe thereā€™s a dual system depending on the engine coolant temp? Not sure on that). I will say that the heater can drain power pretty aggressively, but it definitely gets pretty hot quick.
One of the reviews used the cutout vehicle supplied by Jeep and showed both the electric heater and electric AC unit. They are in different areas.

michail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sahara 4xe
I think the battery will use the climate controls as needed.

I also think we get a longer run time in "On" while in park, than in ACC.

FirstF80InSpace

First Name
F80
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Porsche 911 C4S / 2021 JLUR 4xe
I was sitting in my Jeep idling with the AC on the other day. It worked out to about 1% battery drain every 3-4 mins.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I saw a YouTube video saying the A/C compressor was electric instead of ran off the belt in the 4xe so youā€™re all good. That same video, however, also said that the 4xe does not have an electric heater for the HVAC so if you turn on the heat, the engine will have to come on in order to warm the coolant so it can then pass thru the HVAC system to warm the cabin air. But others here are saying that heat is also electric in the 4xe so maybe the YouTube video was wrong and thatā€™s even better!
There's a video where someone shows the location of the electric resistive heater module, so it does appear to have one.

Sponsored

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Thatā€™s great news and a step in the right direction that both heat and cool are full electric!

Though Iā€™m not surprised the heater would take a lot of power because the heating module is almost certainly a resistive element and whose can use thousands of watts to work!

I would hazard a guess that it is definitely at least 1kW and probably a bit more, especially since it heats up the cabin so well, as stated earlier in this thread.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Thatā€™s great news and a step in the right direction that both heat and cool are full electric!

Though Iā€™m not surprised the heater would take a lot of power because the heating module is almost certainly a resistive element and whose can use thousands of watts to work!

I would hazard a guess that it is definitely at least 1kW and probably a bit more, especially since it heats up the cabin so well, as stated earlier in this thread.
I'd bet there's still a conventional heater core for when the engine's running. It's easy to have and much more efficient. Basically just a tiny radiator looped into the engine coolant lines.

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I'd bet there's still a conventional heater core for when the engine's running. It's easy to have and much more efficient. Basically just a tiny radiator looped into the engine coolant lines.
There absolutely should be. Every hybrid keeps the traditional heater core even if they also have an electric one!
Sponsored