Sponsored

Dual Top Owners - When do you switch to Soft Top?

Roy_Hobbs

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sahara Ocean Blue Sky One-Touch
Well full disclosure I have the Alpine system with the base turned all the way up blasting Lil Wayne so in that scenario the sound bar rattles pretty badly with the soft top on:rock: For some reason not when the hard top is on. There are multiple threads here with others complaining about the sound bar rattling so I donā€™t think itā€™s just me. Iā€™m in the process of trouble shooting the situation and may pull the sound bar apart to fill it with acoustical material.
Haha, gotcha. I figure if it happens in mine I'll just take it to the dealership and let them fix the rattle.
I'm almost ready to order my Wrangler....even though I've read through everything on this forum I still can't decide if I want o go soft top or dual top. UGH!
Sponsored

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
I have both, I figure in about a month I'll be looking to switch.

HT is MUCH better at security than the ST, and it is much easier to load the HT because you can flip the window up, rather than having to unhook, etc, the soft top rear window. Also, the HT is quieter, and not likely to stretch or wear out like I worry about with the ST. Also the rear wiper is present with the HT (I don't know about the defroster, mine hasn't worked in forever :( )

55WillysWagon

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1955 Willys Wagon, 2019 Jeep Wrangler OB JLUR
Beautiful, albeit still chilly, day in New England. Made me start thinking about the soft top. What time of year do you all switch from Hard to Soft Top?
On the South Shore in MA as well, Marshfield. I see you are a boater. My first time with a soft top Jeep. The shrink wrap comes off my boat about mid April so probably the same for the Jeep hardtop. Boat goes in around early to mid May.

Reactions: LHB

Andy2434

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Billet JLUR, ā€˜20 Mustang GT/Prem/6MT/PP1
Occupation
Retired/Leisure
Having 2 convertibles already, my Sunrider for hardtop will be a 365 day fixture. Itā€™s handled the rain and snow like a champ, thus far.

Sponsored

Dito

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I donā€™t know if it will be the same but when I first put the soft top on my JK I wasnā€™t able to close it until the sun and warmer temps allowed the top to stretch out a bit. For my JL, waiting for warmer days wonā€™t so much be for riding with the soft top down but more so to make sure I can stretch it out to fit.

rallydefault

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S
My wife and I have a tradition of running this one 5k race at the end of March every year, and we always ride with the top off no matter how cold it is. So just another couple weeks!

eck

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU MOAB HellaYella
I picked up a soft top from the dealer today, and installed it. Plenty warm enough here for it.

Sponsored

crash13

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Still snowing here in Toronto although this weekend looks nice. Likely mid-April for me also. I do like the idea of having the sun rider top for the in-between months. Is it hard to disassemble when I want to put on the full soft top?

Lil Punk'n

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangled jl sport
Occupation
Retired, School bus driver
We are in northern Mn. Hope switch maybe middle of May.

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ā€˜18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
Thought over the weekend how to store the hard top once itā€™s off. Hubby and I threw this together quick. Still needs corner braces and itā€™s not pretty but will do.
upload_2019-3-18_13-47-6.jpeg

Haines_GT

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Durango And 18 JLUR ordered
Still snowing here in Toronto although this weekend looks nice. Likely mid-April for me also. I do like the idea of having the sun rider top for the in-between months. Is it hard to disassemble when I want to put on the full soft top?
What does the sun rider cost us folk up here? I donā€™t mind the freedom panels.

Iā€™m hoping Sunday is nice.

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
1. Probably a warm day in April...I wouldn't recommend doing below 70 out if it is your first time putting the soft top on. I struggled for an hour trying to get the front latches. Next day, let it sit in the sun for a couple hours, it reached and I felt fortunate the sun was out.

2. For the hard top storage, this is the way to go, not terribly expensive and can be done solo. Racor garage hoist.
http://www.bsportscards.us/store.ph...Mn5n_PeC1qDLxNpGD9rNlsjyROu-BxYkaAqWhEALw_wcB

3. One main perk of having both hard/soft tops is the soft top stays in much better shape if it is kept out of the winter weather. In five years, I hope both tops are still looking great. When I bought this jeep, dual tops was not an option, it was required.
Sponsored