Sponsored

Dual top more expensive than buying each separately?

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
If you are going to put the hard top on every time it rains why bother with the dual top then? Also that sounds like a LOT of work.
My understanding is the dual top package provides you with an interchangeable hard and soft top. My plan would be to use the soft top May-October so I can flip it up when it rains, and then switch to the hard top for the remainder of the year when it is cold and snowing.
Sponsored

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
My understanding is the dual top package provides you with an interchangeable hard and soft top. My plan would be to use the soft top May-October so I can flip it up when it rains, and then switch to the hard top for the remainder of the year when it is cold and snowing.
OK, that makes a lot more sense. In your initial post you were talking about putting on the hard top every time it rains, which didn't make much sense - at least to me.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

I don’t even see the dual top group option in the online builder. For 2-door Rubicon

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic
I don’t even see the dual top group option in the online builder. For 2-door Rubicon
Dual tops aren't available for 2-doors, at least at this time.

drbsp

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Wrangler Unlimited 75th Anniversary Edition
are these premium soft tops usable in winter? I have to assume they are durable enough to handle snow on top of them? I want to order a 2 door Rubicon w/soft top. All Jeeps I have had in past had both tops and when I lived in Florida I took hard top off and it would sit there as I always preferred soft as it was nice to flip off given the heat. In Colorado I have both and have never had the soft top on (because it is a hassle to change). Now I am thinking to go with soft top only so I dont have to store anything or just plain have one top sit in the garage. The only question is whether soft top is durable? I am not concerned about heating the vehicle because between winter package and legendary Jeep heating system I will be toasty regardless of top choice.

Sponsored

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 JKU Recon, JLUR on order, 2 summer cars, 2 summer Ducs
The dual top option includes the premium soft top. It should be mounted to the sport bar and bundled up in the cargo area upon delivery with a few extra parts like the door frame rails and rear attachment clips. I believe you'll need to remove the hardtop in order to completely remove the soft top from the cargo area. Congrats.
That's not how they ship on the JL, unlike the JK. The top does not come installed, it is in boxes and has nothing in the mounting holes on the sports bar. Thank goodness. I am not even sure you can have the hard top over the installed and folded down soft top in the JL, maybe, but I'm asking my dealer to leave it as shipped from Jeep, boxed, so I can just put it in storage till summer.

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
Hi- new here, and considering my first wrangler. What action would be best when ordering if you wanted a color-matched hard top and premium soft top to switch out between seasons?

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi- new here, and considering my first wrangler. What action would be best when ordering if you wanted a color-matched hard top and premium soft top to switch out between seasons?
I don't know why you wouldn't order the dual top group, and then pay the extra for the color matched hard top. Only reason I special ordered my JL was to get the dual top group, as dealer could not commit to premium soft top pricing as a stand alone, but it was sure to be higher than price as part of dual top group.

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
18 JLUR Granite, 15 JKS 2DR, F80 M3
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
That's not how they ship on the JL, unlike the JK. The top does not come installed, it is in boxes and has nothing in the mounting holes on the sports bar. Thank goodness. I am not even sure you can have the hard top over the installed and folded down soft top in the JL, maybe, but I'm asking my dealer to leave it as shipped from Jeep, boxed, so I can just put it in storage till summer.
I ordered and just received my JL with the dual top. It comes in a coffin sized box that takes up the entire back area of the jeep; It is a BIG F$%&ing box!!!

I do not think the hardtop will go over the soft top even when folded back. The tolerances of the hardtop to the cage is pretty slim. I was also told by the dealer it is a no go. I only trust them about 25% but i do not see it being and option.

Also, there are a TON of parts that come with the soft top. The install of it looks to be a few good hours worth of work IMHO. I am pretty mechanically inclined and i have built many a race car and i just shook my head when i opened the soft top coffin. I REALLY hope I can leave most of what needs to be bolted to the cage in place when I go to put the hardtop back on after summer is over.

Here is a pic of the box...

20180209_105735.jpg

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I REALLY hope I can leave most of what needs to be bolted to the cage in place when I go to put the hardtop back on after summer is over.
I was wondering about this. So I assume there is still a bracket that bolts to the 2 holes on each side of the back of the sport bar, but then just like the JL I assume we'll have to install and remove the door seal rails and vertical "C-pillar" to go between tops, but are you saying it is a lot more complicated than that?

Sponsored

Brad41

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLUR firecracker red
I don't know why you wouldn't order the dual top group, and then pay the extra for the color matched hard top. Only reason I special ordered my JL was to get the dual top group, as dealer could not commit to premium soft top pricing as a stand alone, but it was sure to be higher than price as part of dual top group.

Ok, thanks for the help. I do see now on the on-line configurator where the colored hard top goes from $2095 down to $1200 after selecting the dual-top package.

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I was wondering about this. So I assume there is still a bracket that bolts to the 2 holes on each side of the back of the sport bar, but then just like the JL I assume we'll have to install and remove the door seal rails and vertical "C-pillar" to go between tops, but are you saying it is a lot more complicated than that?
Ill empty out the boxes and lay it all out so you can see all the parts. There are no instructions and no youtube videos yet so this may be a bit of an endeavor. If I feel froggy this weekend I may do a diy install video and post it on my youtube channel.

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ill empty out the boxes and lay it all out so you can see all the parts.
I'll be interested to see what you find. All of the videos on line it is really hard to tell the "nuts and bolts" of the new top design. Thanks!

Texas_Yote

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slang 1's & 0's
Vehicle Showcase
I'll be interested to see what you find. All of the videos on line it is really hard to tell the "nuts and bolts" of the new top design. Thanks!
Maybe I made a mountain out of a mole hill. Not as bad now that I spread it out, but there are A LOT of bolts that need to be turned to remove and put on the top. I am hopefully I can put all the hardware on and leave it on with the hard top. That would be ideal for sure!!

20180209_120125.jpg

on--belay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe I made a mountain out of a mole hill. Not as bad now that I spread it out, but there are A LOT of bolts that need to be turned to remove and put on the top.
Thanks! That looks about like what I expected parts wise. I'll swap tops twice a year, so I don't mind a few bolts. As much as anything I'm just glad they boxed it instead of the JK method, as I'm hoping to get mine in the next few weeks, and as its about 15 degrees each day right now, I'd rather not take it off in the driveway as I don't have clearance in garages.
Sponsored