Sponsored

Dual top more expensive than buying each separately?

SuperSanta503

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Absolutely less expensive. From Mopar the current black hard top is stupid. Like, $3000 stupid. If you want both, order them upfront, or, order the hard top and go aftermarket when available. It’s not like you are going to be seeing hardtops for the JL on Craigslist anytime soon.
Solid advice.
Sponsored

Digitalis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback (soon to be a Jeep Owner)
I just noticed the standard Top for the Sport S is the Premium Tan Sunrider® Soft Top for Dual Top. but if you want the same top but in Black you have to pay $595??? what gives? that seems like a scam just for a color change. In fact Black should be the default color imo.

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
I just noticed the standard Top for the Sport S is the Premium Tan Sunrider® Soft Top for Dual Top. but if you want the same top but in Black you have to pay $595??? what gives? that seems like a scam just for a color change. In fact Black should be the default color imo.
Incorrect. the soft top in the dual top group is the premium black. The tan is not a option yet in any configurations. The $595 Premium top option is solely going from the standard top to the Premium top.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
If something doesn't look right in the configurator it probably isn't. Check the order guide.

Sponsored

Digitalis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback (soon to be a Jeep Owner)
If something doesn't look right in the configurator it probably isn't. Check the order guide.
Sorry, I'm new here, where can I find this "order guide"? I saw some post with order information in them but don't know what some of the codes mean (package 23s...etc)

thx

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link

theplankeye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited
A few of you guys are totally confused. If you do not select a top, you get the black vinyl top. $0

CRC

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKUR Hard Rock, 2023 Toyota Camry XLE AWD
The thing I have been wondering is if you order a soft top on a JL and no hardtop, is the wiring for the light, washer, wiper, etc. still there? It is mentioned explicitly as the wiring being included only with a hard top in the JK ordering stuff, but not in the JL.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Absolutely less expensive. From Mopar the current black hard top is stupid. Like, $3000 stupid. If you want both, order them upfront, or, order the hard top and go aftermarket when available. It’s not like you are going to be seeing hardtops for the JL on Craigslist anytime soon.
Exactly. I bought my 2015 Hard Rock off the lot with painted hard top only. I'm topless from March to October. I have a slick power lift installed in my garage but still a pain in the butt to put hard top on and off when it would rain. I'd look at the weather and if it wasn't going to be pretty for at least 3 days in a row I'd just leave the hard top on. Again hassle factor. That had to change. I found a brand new, never install OEM Mopar softtop on craigslsit for $500, installed it and now I run soft top from March to October with the hardtop hanging in the garage. To Dealer Guys point the wife and I discussed it before ordering and I was going to go hard top only again and her point was the same as dealer guy. You won't be able to find an OEM softop for sale for several months. If you want it it's better to order now. IMO. We went ahead and went duals. Not so much for cost savings but it will be delivered sometime in March and I'll want to be topless. Short answer. If you you know you want both tops, better to do it now IMO. Plus no offense to anyone rocking other than OEM tops, I had a Bestop for about two weeks before I found the Mopar one. They are fine but just not the same.

Sponsored

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Didn’t want to add more to the cost and thought the new soft top would be a PITA to install/take off like the JK so I only ordered the black hard top

Ordered 12/22 and was told today they could throw the premium soft top in for the cost of the dual top package. So we’ll see if it’s there whenever the thing gets out of D1 and gets to me.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Didn’t want to add more to the cost and thought the new soft top would be a PITA to install/take off like the JK so I only ordered the black hard top

Ordered 12/22 and was told today they could throw the premium soft top in for the cost of the dual top package. So we’ll see if it’s there whenever the thing gets out of D1 and gets to me.
The dual top option includes the premium soft top. It should be mounted to the sport bar and bundled up in the cargo area upon delivery with a few extra parts like the door frame rails and rear attachment clips. I believe you'll need to remove the hardtop in order to completely remove the soft top from the cargo area. Congrats.

Jeep4Life0112

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR (Mojito)
Reading this thread just convinced me to go with the dual top option right away instead of waiting to purchase a soft top at a later time. Thanks all for clearing this up for me. Seems like a much better option than watching the weather forecast all summer and putting the hard top back on each time it rains.

What is the process for removing the hardtop and installing the soft top? I will be a first time Jeep owner and am unsure what effort is involved in switching back and forth between hard and soft top options.Thanks in advance.

Flyguy81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Pilot
Reading this thread just convinced me to go with the dual top option right away instead of waiting to purchase a soft top at a later time. Thanks all for clearing this up for me. Seems like a much better option than watching the weather forecast all summer and putting the hard top back on each time it rains.

What is the process for removing the hardtop and installing the soft top? I will be a first time Jeep owner and am unsure what effort is involved in switching back and forth between hard and soft top options.Thanks in advance.
I'm in CO and will put the soft top on end of May after ski season is over and put the hard top back on in Oct.

Karl_in_Chicago

First Name
Karl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura RL, Chevrolet Corvette, Harley-Davidson FLHTC Electra-Glide Classic

If you are going to put the hard top on every time it rains why bother with the dual top then? Also that sounds like a LOT of work.
Sponsored