Sponsored

Dual top more expensive than buying each separately?

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
The soft top is 795$ and Black hardtop 1095$ making it 1890$. The dual top package is 2195$. Is there any advantage to buying the Group now vs buying the hardtop now and soft top later?
Sponsored

Gangreen

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
98 ZJ 5.9 & 18 JLUR
The soft top is 795$ and Black hardtop 1095$ making it 1890$. The dual top package is 2195$. Is there any advantage to buying the Group now vs buying the hardtop now and soft top later?
I assume they both mount differently, the dual top group also adds that ability.

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I assume it's because both the black hardtop and premium soft top alone include a cost reduction due to the deletion of the basic soft top. With the dual top option you aren't deleting two basic soft tops, just one.

i.e. assume the basic soft top is 'worth' $400. The hard top sold alone would be $1495, and the premium soft top sold alone would be $1295. The dual top option would then be worth $1495+$1295-$400=$2390. So $2195 for the dual top package would still be a discount in that scenario.

ThrillerR1

First Name
Tee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 4Runner V8, 2008 Z06, 2009 R1, 2015 Tenere
Dual Tops Group upgrades you to the premium soft top so that might be the difference.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
There is a premium soft top and also a non-premium soft top?

All the recent video reviews only discussed 3 top options: Soft, Hard, and Power.

Sponsored

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I read somewhere that the "base" soft top is vinyl. The "premium" is like a Corinthian suede-like twill luxury material - something like that.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
I just checked the configurator and there is no soft-top that labelled without "premium" in the name. They all seem to be soft-tops of the "premium" variety. (Kind of like beer in that way.)

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I just checked the configurator and there is no soft-top that labelled without "premium" in the name. They all seem to be soft-tops of the "premium" variety. (Kind of like beer in that way.)
The base soft top is standard equipment. Premium soft top and the various hard top options (and the dual top which includes both of the aforementioned) all replace the standard equipment base soft top.

BillyHW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
The base soft top is standard equipment. Premium soft top and the various hard top options (and the dual top which includes both of the aforementioned) all replace the standard equipment base soft top.
Why on earth hasn't someone done a video comparing the base soft-top to the "premium" soft-top?

JLWF Dealer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
Occupation
Jeep Dealer / Singer of Sentimental Ballads
Absolutely less expensive. From Mopar the current black hard top is stupid. Like, $3000 stupid. If you want both, order them upfront, or, order the hard top and go aftermarket when available. It’s not like you are going to be seeing hardtops for the JL on Craigslist anytime soon.

Sponsored

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I did not see it in the configurator either but it is in the order guide and there is definitely a big difference between the two. At least on the JK. I would never buy a standard soft top on the JK. The premium would be well worth the cost.

Wrangler847

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
wrangler
Can these different tops be bought later on if on a tight budget?

OP
OP

Jeepvkk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Impreza, Audi Q5
Can these different tops be bought later on if on a tight budget?
That was the crux of my original question since I thought I may get one now and the other later. However, As JL Dealer pointed out, these seem more expensive when bought later. It seems they are offered at a better price now. The Mopar Soft top for the JK which is the same as the OEM is around 1200 for example.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I looked into this too in case I went back to getting a JKU. I Found one I liked but without the Premium Soft Top. The MOPAR top was pretty outrageous. I would look at Bestop since they create the OEM tops anyway. Cheaper but still a better deal to get it from the factory.
Sponsored