Sponsored

DUAL TOP HOW TO: I Swapped the Hard Top for the Soft Top Today

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
Design flaw? I cannot bring my soft top back up without it hitting the wiring harness/washer fluid holder. In fact a tab broke off of mine. Even with it not attached I can't find a good place to shove it where it's not in the way.

Anybody else having this problem?
Yes. Just tried to raise mine in the dark and something was holding me back. It was the plug while seated in the holder. Took it out of the holder and no problem but was getting hung up.
Sponsored

eric.frederich

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLURubicon
My Jeep just entered D1 status. Can I add the soft top? I ordered the hard top but wanted the dual top.
Probably not. They're actually shipping dual top orders without the soft top now. Jeep is giving you a big fat "I Owe You" on them. They're having supplier issues with the hard tops. Because of this the soft tops are on short supply. If they ship a dual top, that's one less JL they can roll out of the factory.

Don't get upset. This means you can get a cool after-market soft top with the angled back or something else.

NMElkHunter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My Jeep just entered D1 status. Can I add the soft top? I ordered the hard top but wanted the dual top.
I am with you. After seeing this thread I wish I would have ordered the dual tops too.

zodleviton

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
...still waiting
I am with you. After seeing this thread I wish I would have ordered the dual tops too.
Ha! No you don’t! My vehicle sat in “JB” status forever waiting for the dumb dual top...then, as soon as they get one to me, it ended up in “KZ” because of shipping issues. I honestly believe if I would’ve stuck with the hardtop, I would’ve got my Jeep sooner and avoided the new crisis of shipment. Just my opinion though.

Sponsored

NMElkHunter

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Ha! No you don’t! My vehicle sat in “JB” status forever waiting for the dumb dual top...then, as soon as they get one to me, it ended up in “KZ” because of shipping issues. I honestly believe if I would’ve stuck with the hardtop, I would’ve got my Jeep sooner and avoided the new crisis of shipment. Just my opinion though.
I still wish that I ordered the dual tops. Whether I am waiting for a soft top or LED lights, the result is still the same. No Jeep yet!

acampbell85

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 WJ, Soon '18 JL
Can anyone speak to the volume level difference between hard and soft top at highway speeds? I ordered dual tops but I am considering selling the hard top if the soft top is quite enough on the highway.
I test drove both today and got up to about 80 mph in the premium soft top. The sound levels were good. I had no problem having a normal conversation with the salesman. With that said you can tell that you are riding in a soft top but I was really impressed. I plan on ordering only the soft top but that is because I live in MS and our winters are not harsh.

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Nice! Now I understand what you've been saying.
I don’t. Haven’t tried yet to install. Does seem confusing. Especially when I haven’t seen the parts yet. What ever happened to the guy that the top was short 1/4 inch?

YFD_322

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GC, 2019 GC SRT
Awesome. Thanks

Sponsored

Kadonny

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Manual Trans Front Spacers, 2010 JKU Wrangler Sport
That video is perfect. Bookmarked, thanks.

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Appreciate the tip and @vonbek too. I am in Houston and left it in the sun all day. Still have a huge gap. Will be at the dealer tomorrow AM and see what they say. I’m sure it is user error....
Rob,

Did you ever figure out what was causing the gap? I just installed mine today (80 degrees outside) and I have the same gap. The front clips will not reach the latch.

uudog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Rob,

Did you ever figure out what was causing the gap? I just installed mine today (80 degrees outside) and I have the same gap. The front clips will not reach the latch.
Nevermind...

It just took a look more force to get those clips on the latch. I hope it was just as simple for you too.

Thanks