Sponsored

Dual Top Group Questions

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUS Hella , 22 JLUSS Hydro
I'm getting ready to order my 22 Sport S next week and would like to request some advice concerning the dual top group option.

Looking for some insight on:

Swapping out the soft top for the hard top during the summer months in as far as how much of a pain in the ass is it?

Completed stripping the soft top off for the naked look?

Also, I've read if you factory order the dual tops they ship the soft top boxes in the Wrangler. Driving 700 miles back home I'd need it to fit inside.
Sponsored

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
It takes me about 1 hour to swap from hard to soft top. I built an electric lift with a platform for $200. I suspended it from my rafters to hold everything. They have kits available but way too expensive for me.

Soft top comes in a coffin size box so you will only be able to fit someone in the passenger seat.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Naked jeeps are the best jeeps :)
Sadly, I am forced to park next to a multi-million bushel grain processing facility which results in massive amounts of grain dust and corn chafe settling on my vehicle each day. I can't run her naked without having the interior filthy every day.

Sponsored

Jeep1967

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon JL, 2008 Sahara JK, 2000 Sport TJ, 1995 Sport YJ
I love the dual tops. I’ve had these on my past two jeeps. I have an electric hoist in my garage for the hardtop. You can get hoists that are manual and work well also. Unless you have a lot of extra room, hoisting the hardtop gets it up and out of the way. Also prevents damage to it.

The JL soft top is both better and worse than the JK soft top. Way better when installed. Quieter, better quality, easier to put up and down, no zippers, etc. Way worse in terms of installing and uninstalling when swapping tops. Definitely need two people. Much heavier and easier to scratch your paint. The JK I could swap by myself. I tried once with the JL....won’t do that again.

I was able to routinely swap hard to soft with my JK. With the JL, it is more a seasonal swap for me.

thecritter

First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Crystal Granite JlU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
I went even cheaper on my lift a few pulleys a boat trailer crank / hand winch about 70 bucks total. So very easy to swap 45 min and a beer.. that being said my hardtop has not been on for two years. Stay in safari mode with the soft top unless raining.

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The good part is I live my life with the motto of It Is What It Is, Not What You Want It To Be.

😁
I might add my green friend gets me through a lot with my motto. Nothing like beating TF outta something when you are frustrated. Best part is it can't press charges.

20211211_204930.jpg

JABCAT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GC High Altitude 4x4, '22 JLU on order
Occupation
College Professor
Ordered the dual top for our ‘22. We have both tops on our JKU & I have a hoist to lift the hard top. By myself it takes about 15-20 min to swap the tops. I haven’t seen the JLU soft top installation so I can’t comment on that, but it’s definitely nice having both on the JKU.

Sponsored

OP
OP
LuvHydro

LuvHydro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Y'all rock.
Decided I'm doing the dual.

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
I got the dual top for my 21 JLUR. I love having the hardtop in the winter, but I have no one to assist me with the removal and installation of the hardtop. I went with this. I got it from quadratec (they price match so shop around). I love it, it's very easy to use and also stores the hardtop and can hold two doors.

Lange Originals 014-GEN2A Hoist-A-Cart Gen 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Dual Top Group Questions 1639329413208

Electrified

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 392XR
I got the dual top for my 21 JLUR. I love having the hardtop in the winter, but I have no one to assist me with the removal and installation of the hardtop. I went with this. I got it from quadratec (they price match so shop around). I love it, it's very easy to use and also stores the hardtop and can hold two doors.

Lange Originals 014-GEN2A Hoist-A-Cart Gen 2
Jeep Wrangler JL Dual Top Group Questions 1639329413208
How has that worked for you long term?

WilhelmSR

First Name
Wilhelm
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 HellaYella JLUR
How has that worked for you long term?
Love it. Use it every fall and spring. Hardtop sits on it from spring to fall and no damage at all. 100% would buy again.

MOOG5050

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon XR
Just bought a 2023 with dual tops. The soft top fits in a large box in back. You can drive it but a bit cramped. I sold the soft top. Too much of a pain switching from hard to soft. I either go naked or put the hard top on. Only takes 15 min to add or remove hard top. Swapping between soft and hard requires a bunch of bracket installations or removal. Weather is nice so been naked the last few days.

9B31665A-E0B9-46F1-94A1-DBF4CCF6773A.jpeg
Sponsored