Sponsored

Dual Top Group Question - Im not quite getting it??

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Mine showed up without the soft top without me asking, and it will ship later (dual top group). There are plenty of other folks that have successfully gotten their dealer to get the Jeep sent and the soft top delivered later. Your dealer can do it, they probably just don't realize they can (or they are lazy).
Since my dealer is obviously clueless, do you have any recommendations, as the chat people at Jeep are obviously in India and are following a script and can't deviate from it. For example, do all dealers have a "regional mfg Jeep representative" or some other title that I can try to get a hold of?
Sponsored

Moondog2525

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 wrangler jl sport s
Since my dealer is obviously clueless, do you have any recommendations, as the chat people at Jeep are obviously in India and are following a script and can't deviate from it. For example, do all dealers have a "regional mfg Jeep representative" or some other title that I can try to get a hold of?
I’ve read on multiple pages that this was an error and the factory did send out some dual top Jeeps without the soft top but then stopped and people were told by their dealerships that Jeep will no longer do this. The dual top Jeep i originally ordered actually had the sticker change and they made it a hard top only instead of dual top because they’re so back ordered. I was lucky enough to find a soft top anyway but the car with the vin that i originally ordered was changed from dual to hard top only....

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
Does anyone know if either of these is the same as factory premium top? Twill vs. Sailcloth?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/sailcloth-full-soft-top-kit-black-jeep-wrangler-jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/twill-full-soft-top-kit-black-jeep-wrangler-jl

dual top = $2,195 - $1,095 = $1,100 premium soft top
vs.
hard top = $1,095 + $1,600 msrp = $2,695.

If you can get item 82215805 on sale for around $1,300 it's not a huge cost to add mopar soft top later.

Unfortunately I can't order dual top with Sport, so I'll have to add soft top later.

Last edited:

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Does anyone know if either of these is the same as factory premium top? Twill vs. Sailcloth?

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/sailcloth-full-soft-top-kit-black-jeep-wrangler-jl

https://www.quadratec.com/p/mopar/twill-full-soft-top-kit-black-jeep-wrangler-jl

vs.

If you can get item 82215805 on sale for around $1,300 it's not a huge cost to add mopar soft top later.

Unfortunately I can't order dual top with Sport, so I'll have to add soft top later.
Sailcloth = a vinyl weave and is the standard soft top found on a Jeep

Twill = Premium Soft Top and is a cloth top.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Premium soft top is over $2,000 retail. It is much cheaper with the dual top group.

Sponsored

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
I’ve read on multiple pages that this was an error and the factory did send out some dual top Jeeps without the soft top but then stopped and people were told by their dealerships that Jeep will no longer do this. The dual top Jeep i originally ordered actually had the sticker change and they made it a hard top only instead of dual top because they’re so back ordered. I was lucky enough to find a soft top anyway but the car with the vin that i originally ordered was changed from dual to hard top only....
So I guess I was lucky with Jeep's mistake. I stopped following that discussion when mine showed up, so Anthony probably has more up to date info than me. I picked mine up on March 3, so they may very well have changed it up since then. Sorry about the bad info.

Appgirl96

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU, 2018 JLU

vs.

When my hubby bought his JK in ‘16, he bought as hard top, and our dealer actually discouraged us from buying from Mopar and suggested BestTop after market. I’m glad he did, because I think it looks so much better! He got a BestTop SuperTop sailcloth. I got a hardtop JL in Jan and will buy the same thing if I decide to go dual top.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Well a wrinkle in my planned order. I've been thinking all along that with the color top I was getting the premium soft top. As you all know, that ain't happening. I just think it's odd you can't build it with a color top and the premium soft top on the builder. I asked what the soft top alone would be if ordered separate. Not in my world. She thought it was $2,359. Hell that would be a total of $4,454 for both. Unreal. Sorry I just had to vent

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
Well a wrinkle in my planned order. I've been thinking all along that with the color top I was getting the premium soft top. As you all know, that ain't happening. I just think it's odd you can't build it with a color top and the premium soft top on the builder. I asked what the soft top alone would be if ordered separate. Not in my world. She thought it was $2,359. Hell that would be a total of $4,454 for both. Unreal. Sorry I just had to vent
Why can't you do the dual top package and pay $1,200 for the color match upgrade? Are you getting a Sport (S)?

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
I was ordering a Rubicon and when I questioned the color match duel top option that was the response I got. I'd pay the $1,200 but not what I was quoted. I know the premium tops are not available or at least in limited numbers but hell if I order now I would think it would be by the time it was built.

Sponsored

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was ordering a Rubicon and when I questioned the color match duel top option that was the response I got. I'd pay the $1,200 but not what I was quoted. I know the premium tops are not available or at least in limited numbers but hell if I order now I would think it would be by the time it was built.
I believe the premium soft tops were on restriction (back ordered) but I believe I have heard they should be caught up soon. I hadn't heard about the dual top group requiring the black hard top though. I asked another thread about it and will update when I hear back.

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Out of curiosity what color we're you ordering? I know the Sting Gray Hard Tops were on restriction not too long ago so I wonder if that was the reason.

TPFilm1994

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU Sport S
I think I understand what OP’s question is: he’s asking if he can order the body colored hard top with the premium top. The only way to get both body colored hard top and soft top from the factory is to order dual top and pay the extra cost to get body colored top. It’s a premium price on a premium package. Welcome to ANY type of car buying, especially Jeep buying. Jeep, where the only way to order a soft top window storage bag for $75 is to spend $1200 for the dual top package - where they throw-in freedom top storage bags for free, or have the nerve to ask $169 for the bag through Mopar (even though you can’t actually get it right now.)

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I understand what OP’s question is: he’s asking if he can order the body colored hard top with the premium top. The only way to get both body colored hard top and soft top from the factory is to order dual top and pay the extra cost to get body colored top. It’s a premium price on a premium package. Welcome to ANY type of car buying, especially Jeep buying. Jeep, where the only way to order a soft top window storage bag for $75 is to spend $1200 for the dual top package - where they throw-in freedom top storage bags for free, or have the nerve to ask $169 for the bag through Mopar (even though you can’t actually get it right now.)
That was my understanding as well but (if I'm reading it correctly) @1idrod was told if he ordered the dual top group he could only get a black hard top. They told him he couldn't get a color hard top even if he payed the upcharge. Which is inaccurate, right?

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So the Rubicon comes standard with a basic soft top. The Dual Top Group ($2,195) upgrades it to a premium soft top and a black hard top. Then you can upgrade to the body color hard top ($1,200). So for $3,395 you get premium soft top and body color hard top.
Sponsored