Sponsored

Dual Top Group Question - Im not quite getting it??

VanillaGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Toyota Corolla
I am clearing missing something. Missing as in not understanding. I've searched the forum and still not clear. By selecting the $2195 Dual Top Group i am getting the Freedom Hardtop and the Premium Black Sunrider soft top. A body colored hardtop is an additional $1200 to this. Im good with all of that but here is where i am confused. If the body colored hardtop is $2095 by itself and the upgraded Premium Sunrider soft top is $595 why wouldnt i add it on that way? The build program doesnt let you configure it this way. So obviously i am missing something. I just cannot figure out what.

An additional question. A soft top does come standard when buying a Jeep correct? By selecting a hard top only in the build program i should still be getting a basic soft top with the vehicle, yes?
Sponsored

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I am clearing missing something. Missing as in not understanding. I've searched the forum and still not clear. By selecting the $2195 Dual Top Group i am getting the Freedom Hardtop and the Premium Black Sunrider soft top. A body colored hardtop is an additional $1200 to this. Im good with all of that but here is where i am confused. If the body colored hardtop is $2095 by itself and the upgraded Premium Sunrider soft top is $595 why wouldnt i add it on that way? The build program doesnt let you configure it this way. So obviously i am missing something. I just cannot figure out what.

An additional question. A soft top does come standard when buying a Jeep correct? By selecting a hard top only in the build program i should still be getting a basic soft top with the vehicle, yes?
Once you click hardtop, soft top is deleted (unless ordering dual top option)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Stock Jeep with no top options selected you get the vinyl soft top - No Charge

Choose Premium Soft Top only - 595

Dual top group removes the vinyl soft top. The 3 piece hard top is added as well as the premium soft top - 2195

Painted hard top only (no soft top) - 2095

If you choose the dual top group you can then select the painted top on the next page. Result will be painted top with premium soft top - Add 1200 to the 2195 price for the hard top being painted to match body color

So for Painted hard top with premium soft top price total is 3395.00

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
I was confused originally also but I hadn’t realized the prices in the builder are “upgrade charges”. The Jeep comes with a cheap soft top. What doesn’t add-up to me is the color match hard top is only $1000 more than the black hard top but if you do the Dual Top Group the color match upgrade is $1200. It seems to me they charge an extra $200 just for ordering the Dual Top Group then upgrade to color match?

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just read your post over again and I missed the fact that you clearly understood the pricing options.

Your question is simply:

Why does a painted hard top with premium soft top cost $700.00 more than if you were allowed to choose premium soft top only at 595.00 and the painted hard top 2095.00 option.

I have no clue but this is something I would bring up with a dealer to see how they can option it in their dealer connect system. We have seen things in the build configuration online that don't make any sense.

Check with dealer to see if they can submit an order and select the premium soft top and painted hard top only. Maybe they can do this.

Sponsored

Kahdir

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
I just read your post over again and I missed the fact that you clearly understood the pricing options.

Your question is simply:

Why does a painted hard top with premium soft top cost $700.00 more than if you were allowed to choose premium soft top only at 595.00 and the painted hard top 2095.00 option.

I have no clue but this is something I would bring up with a dealer to see how they can option it in their dealer connect system. We have seen things in the build configuration online that don't make any sense.

Check with dealer to see if they can submit an order and select the premium soft top and painted hard top only. Maybe they can do this.
Mopar's way of hitting you with the inconvenience (for them) fee for the assembly line stoppage ;)

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mopar's way of hitting you with the inconvenience (for them) fee for the assembly line stoppage ;)
That may be the case and if so that would be sad. A $700.00 increase! I am hoping that a dealer can order a Jeep with the premium top and the painted hard top without having to select dual top group.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
That may be the case and if so that would be sad. A $700.00 increase! I am hoping that a dealer can order a Jeep with the premium top and the painted hard top without having to select dual top group.
It’s not a $700 increase. Jeep is giving you credit for the standard vinyl top, but the credit is only good toward one top, not both. No double dipping.

But there is a price discrepancy for the painted hardtop for the dual top group. Jeep charges an additional $1,200 for paint when selecting the dual top. That makes no sense since it’s only $1,000 upgrade when ordering the hardtop only. It’s costing you an extra $200 for paint with dual top option.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It’s not a $700 increase. Jeep is giving you credit for the standard vinyl top, but the credit is only good toward one top, not both. No double dipping.

But there is a price discrepancy for the painted hardtop for the dual top group. Jeep charges an additional $1,200 for paint when selecting the dual top. That makes no sense since it’s only $1,000 upgrade when ordering the hardtop only. It’s costing you an extra $200.
I think I see what you are saying....

When you choose the painted hard top you are only getting the hard top. You are getting this at a reduced price since you have given up the soft top and the hardware that goes with it at a 2095.00 option price. This is assuming that Jeep would charge more for the painted hard top option if they were to allow you to keep the standard vinyl soft top.

If you wanted to add a soft top they will charge you 1300.00 for the premium cloth and the hardware that goes with it bringing that configuration to 3395.00.

At least that is how I think you are looking at it. That very well could be the case.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I think I see what you are saying....

When you choose the painted hard top you are only getting the hard top. You are getting this at a reduced price since you have given up the soft top and the hardware that goes with it at a 2095.00 option price. This is assuming that Jeep would charge more for the painted hard top option if they were to allow you to keep the standard vinyl soft top.

If you wanted to add a soft top they will charge you 1300.00 for the premium cloth and the hardware that goes with it bringing that configuration to 3395.00.

At least that is how I think you are looking at it. That very well could be the case.
Yes. That’s the way I understand it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1982 Toyota Corolla
Appreciate everyone's help. Its clear to me now at least everything but the $200 difference between the painted tops.

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Appreciate everyone's help. Its clear to me now at least everything but the $200 difference between the painted tops.
Well what was clear to me is now unclear!

The answer for the $200.00 difference is simply FCA. That is it FCA. :cwl:

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
The folks on the Jeep chat line told me today that the Dual Top is on back order until at least mid April, preventing my build from proceeding. I asked since the soft top is just in a box, why can't you proceed with everything else, then either add the soft top in the box after the build is complete or just ship it to the dealer separately. They said they couldn't directly contact the factory to ask them and that I should ask the dealer. The dealer said the only connection they have to the factor is the order process and can't make such a request. Does any one else have any experience with something like this and have any suggestions to get them to follow common sense? Is the dealer just being lazy or is there a process, person, area manager, etc. that I can get involved?

BumpyTrail

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock
So just for argument sake let us set the value of the included soft top (IST) at $500 to show the staggered total values:

Premium Soft Top: $500 (IST) value + $595 upgrade fee = $1095 total value
Black Hard Top: $500 (IST) value + $1095 upgrade fee = $1595 total value
Color Hard Top: $500 (IST) value + $2095 upgrade fee = $2595 total value
Black Dual Top Group: $500 (IST) value + $2195 group fee = $2695 total value
Color Dual Top Group: $500 (IST) value + $2195 group fee + $1200 upgrade fee = $3895 total value

Hopefully that might clear up the total value questions. Now, what does not make sense is:

Black Hard Top is a $1095 upgrade fee. The Color Hard Top is a $2095 upgrade fee. The difference of going from black to color is $1000.

The Dual Top Group includes the Black Hard Top. To upgrade fee to go from black to color is $1200 ($200 more). Why?

MikeinMD

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Convertible, 2003 Z71 Suburban, 2018 JLU Sahara
The folks on the Jeep chat line told me today that the Dual Top is on back order until at least mid April, preventing my build from proceeding. I asked since the soft top is just in a box, why can't you proceed with everything else, then either add the soft top in the box after the build is complete or just ship it to the dealer separately. They said they couldn't directly contact the factory to ask them and that I should ask the dealer. The dealer said the only connection they have to the factor is the order process and can't make such a request. Does any one else have any experience with something like this and have any suggestions to get them to follow common sense? Is the dealer just being lazy or is there a process, person, area manager, etc. that I can get involved?
Mine showed up without the soft top without me asking, and it will ship later (dual top group). There are plenty of other folks that have successfully gotten their dealer to get the Jeep sent and the soft top delivered later. Your dealer can do it, they probably just don't realize they can (or they are lazy).
Sponsored