Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
My first post here, but long-time browser.
I'm a long-time Jeep owner that has finally come around full tilt.

I started offroading with an old Nissan 4x4 many years ago, before waking up to Jeep.
Went to a '04 TJ Rubicon 2-door.... but wanted to have a bit more challenge (the thing was a beast!)
Tried a '06 GC fun, but...
Then gas got expensive and the economy got bad... '08 Patriot. (challenging, but just not capable enough)
Then bought a '14 Cherokee TH. Also, phenomenal offroad, and incredible compared to the Patriot and GC. (nothing touched the TJ though).

But over the summer, I started to realize I was just beating it up a little too much.
So, with a tear in my eye, I sold it.

Now with my DD being a 2wd truck, and my only Jeep is my wife's '18 compass (never been offroad at all in that one!)
My Jeep fix is itching, and I've decided to buy my first NEW wrangler.

and after all that, here's the reason for the post.
Why don't any dealerships carry 4-doors in stock with a soft top or at least dual top option?
The soft top is an absolute must for me, and was much of what we loved about our old TJ.
But no one around here has any!?

Do they just not sell? or does everyone get the hard-top, and have the dealership add the soft top at the time? or go aftermarket soft top?
Sponsored

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
No idea. Maybe prior sales metrics tell dealers what configurations most likely get the rig off their lot the fastest. Maybe others here know.

Nate: It sounds like you're not in a rush beyond your own enthusiasm....i.e. you don't need the Wrangler for daily travel..

If so I urge you to use a nearby dealer that sells below invoice on factory orders, and place just such an order. You can find the dealers who do this on this section of the forum. The only downside is it takes a couple of weeks and that timing varies with all sorts of known and unknown factors.

Still more, ordering this way means you never have to do without a feature you wanted, nor pay for some feature you wouldn't have put into your ideal rig.

One thing: if you were dead set on doing the hard top and the basic OEM soft top, Dual top isn't for you. Dual top only comes with a premium soft top where you get to choose if it's tan or black.

Best wishes!

OP
OP
uawho

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Gee-pah,
Thanks. I've never ordered a vehicle before. Always figured I'd save some $$ by buying from the lot.
(more willing to negotiate and all).

I did a search through Jeep.com, for any 2020 Wrangler with a dual-top group. And it just surprised me that within the 150mi radius, in a big city like Phoenix, and there were Zero on dealer lots.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2Door JL Rubicon in Mojito, 2022 Rivian R1T
Gee-pah,
Thanks. I've never ordered a vehicle before. Always figured I'd save some $$ by buying from the lot.
(more willing to negotiate and all).

I did a search through Jeep.com, for any 2020 Wrangler with a dual-top group. And it just surprised me that within the 150mi radius, in a big city like Phoenix, and there were Zero on dealer lots.
At least when the JL first came out, people were frequently getting better deals on orders rather than dealer stock. It may have changed with all of the JLs that are on the dealer lots now. But it is worth it to look at ordering. Get exactly what you want, color, trim, options. You still can negotiate with a dealer, you aren't paying MSRP. You may have to wait a few weeks/months for delivery though. There are several threads on here on what dealers people recommend, look through them for your area. At the end of the day, you still may get a better deal on the dealers stock, and buying the soft top aftermarket.

OP
OP
uawho

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all.
I'm going to go meet with a dealer and see how much I can negotiate off an order, versus in-stock.
If it's close, I'll get it underway.

Then the only questions become:
Willy's vs Rubicon
V6 vs Turbo4 vs Diesel

Sponsored

Medicn8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Chevy Equinox
Occupation
USAF
Thanks all.
I'm going to go meet with a dealer and see how much I can negotiate off an order, versus in-stock.

Willy's vs Rubicon
V6 vs Turbo4 vs Diesel
I noticed the lack of soft tops in the Phoenix area as well. It is frustrating. I was shopping around last year and found that Airpark in Scottsdale was the one willing to go the lowest below invoice. Good luck on the purchase.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks all.

Willy's vs Rubicon
V6 vs Turbo4 vs Diesel
@uawho, get the pricing worksheet from the thread at the top of this forum. Work out exactly what you want on that spreadsheet before you go to the dealer. The spreadsheet also shows you the percentage off invoice for the final pricing. Use this to help with negotiation.

As for the top, IMO, Jeep simply adjusted for the demand. A lot of the 2018 models seemed to come with a Dual top group but now I think they’ve dialed it back for market demand. But consider the other options from Bestop before you decide to get dual tops. You might like what they have.

On the trim and engines, it is all based on how you’re going to use it. The Rubi has the lockers, swaybar disconnects, etc., etc. Are you actually going to use those things? Are you going to mod your Jeep to the point where buying those options isn’t needed? Go through those options and consider that. You man find that it’s better to buy a Sport S and mod the hell out of it. It’s different for everyone.

On the engines. The V6 is proving itself to be a pretty good engine. The I4, IMO, doesn’t provide enough value to justify the purchase. You may find that you disagree on that. The diesel is a $4000 retail upcharge. IMO fuel economy is a poor reason to buy it. However, it you need the extended range or GLORIOUS TORQUE, then go for it. Just remember it won’t tow any more than a V6 Jeep. Also there is a question mark on reliablity for this engine. The Gen2 EcoDiesel had its issues. The Gen3 has undergone a significant redesign. Read the Diesel forums to get details.

OP
OP
uawho

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
OK... I found a soft-top on a dealer lot. Sport-S 4-door, standard black top.
Took it for a test drive, up and down the freeway, open top/close top, etc.
And I am convinced... my memory is good and the soft-top is absolutely the way to go.

So I went to my dealer, talked with the internet sales dept, and will be ordering my new Wrangler.

And, I also convinced myself of the value of the Rubi vs the Willys. 4:1 txfr case, lockers, and slightly larger tires.... enough said.
V6 is also for me. Lower risk long term, and I'm not too concerned with fuel economy.

So, soon I'll be in line for a Yellow Rubi soft-top V6.

I pulled down all of the pricing... that spreadsheet is really cool!
And will put on my negotiation face.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
Keep in mind that if you ever want a hard top, you won't have the rear wiper, washer, and defrost functions unless you add all the wiring, hoses, and switches. This is why many people (including myself) get the hard top from the factory, coupled with the hard top being only $1100 more, but costing well over 2K after the fact. Then add a plethora of soft top options (might take another year or 2 for the JL), but the bottom line, its much cheaper and easier to get the hard top from the factory and do a soft top later than vice versa. If you are 100% sure you'll never want a hard top, then go for the soft top ;)

OP
OP
uawho

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I thought of that too.
I may try to negotiate in the dual top group. I didn't like the soft tops that are available after-market right now, so I'd like that stock version for sure.

Sponsored

OP
OP
uawho

uawho

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR Hella Yella
Occupation
Civil engineer
Vehicle Showcase
All right... the deal is set with my dealership to order exactly what I want.

Getting 6.5% off of MSRP. Does that sound about right for a placed order? I had to work hard to even get to that point.

Basic order is:
2020 Rubicon, 8spd auto, Yellow, Soft top only, Tow group, 8.4 uconnect, Safety group, cold weather group, LED lighting, proximity keyless.

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
6.5% off MSRP comes in around 1% off Invoice.

I think you can do better. I'm in CA and getting ready to place a deposit down for 4.5% off Invoice (auburn jeep).

Did you check Vegas? I'm trying to find that google doc map of dealers, its on my screen at work and I'll post it later if you don't already have it or someone else does not.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
All right... the deal is set with my dealership to order exactly what I want.

Getting 6.5% off of MSRP. Does that sound about right for a placed order? I had to work hard to even get to that point.

Basic order is:
2020 Rubicon, 8spd auto, Yellow, Soft top only, Tow group, 8.4 uconnect, Safety group, cold weather group, LED lighting, proximity keyless.
I live in the Tucson area and I went to Idaho to get my 2019. I couldn't get Click to budge below 1% below invoice with Tread Lightly, which guarantees 1% below. I got 8% below, but I would check the dealer in Anthem as they appear to be 5% below invoice. The only caveat I heard with them is that they want you to buy $500-1000 in accessories to get the deal. I don't know if that is true as I didn't get ahold of them before working with a dealer in Idaho. We had a blast driving down and stayed overnight near Area 51. The girls got to see the Vegas strip in its most hideous form, when the sun is out. Went through areas that we have since visited again because they were so interesting.

Good luck with your choice and PM me if you want more info on my experience with the purchase.
Sponsored