Sponsored

Dual Top group — what is your experience??

jimim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon, 2017 Tahoe LTZ
Can you hang the soft top open from a hoist that uses straps? I have to take mine off in a few weeks. I was going to store it in my basement folded. I never thought of hanging it from the hoist open. I didn’t know if the fabric would prevent this.
Sponsored

Tiger1

First Name
Tiger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUS, 2016 BMW 435
Thinking about getting the dual top group when I order my 4xe. The other option I’m considering is just the hard top—I’m definitely getting the hard top—but should I get the Mopar premium soft top as well?

Questions that I’m wondering about:
- How to store the soft top? (Will use a hoist for the hard top)
- How do I get both tops home from the dealer? (Will probably use a dealer hundreds of miles away)
- How long does it take to install/remove the soft top? I heard it is taking people like 4 hours. Tell me your experiences swapping out the hard and soft tops.

I live in Northern Utah, an arid place where it doesn’t rain much in the summer, and winters are very cold. I was reading the “soft top or hard top” thread. But my questions aren’t about the differences between the tops. My questions are focused on the experience of having BOTH—what are the things to know about swapping them, storing them, etc. And is it worth it to have both ?

Thanks.
Love the dual top option, no regrets. Great fun & it's almost like getting a new Jeep every 6 months. It'll take time the first time you install & remove but you'll get faster. Invest in an electric ratchet if you don't already own one. Also, we splurged & bought the Top Lift Pro (use it a LOT and we store hardtop over winter on it) - expensive but very happy with it. Here's a real-time video of a guy removing his soft-top (notice how he struggles aligning the hoist) in under 20 min, not including clean-up.

ctJLnewbie

First Name
C
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'02 Audi TT '10 Audi S5 '12 BMW X5d '17 Ibis RipleyLS '18 Wrangler JL
Here in CT (cold winters, warm summers) we got our 2018 JL with the dual top and it's been great. We just ordered a 2021 JL and again got the dual top. Now, storing 2 hard tops in the summer is going to be my biggest problem...

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I bought with just the hardtop. Then in the early spring I bought a Bestop twill soft top when the rebates came out. This allowed me to not have to travel home with the big box in the back. The initial installed on that was a few hours taking my time. I just swapped the hardtop back on last week and total time for the entire swap was about 1 hour. I use shrink wrap to protect the soft top over the winter. I did his exact same thing with my JK.

S2k Chris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
AP1 S2000, Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
Finance
Dual top is awesome. I haven’t timed it but working at a reasonable pace I can swap tops in about 45mph. I hang my soft top folded up on hooks on my garage wall. The rails for the roof go in the rafters. The trickiest part is getting the hardtop on/off; the soft top part is super easy especially if you keep the cover that came with it so you can put it on/off as one bundle.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual Top group — what is your experience?? 71DB5A78-B228-470A-B0C4-D68C68025AAF

Sponsored

OP
OP

eddified

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Corolla, Ford Transit 350
I made my own electric hoist for about $200 so I can swap both tops by myself. I store my soft top on the platform in the winter.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual Top group — what is your experience?? 71DB5A78-B228-470A-B0C4-D68C68025AAF
Do you have a thread about how you made the electric hoist? I'd love to see that.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
JL dual-top newbies,

Raise your right hand and repeat after me:

I…(state your name)…do solemnly swear or affirm that I will ensure both soft top folding mechanisms are placed in the “locked” position prior to removing the soft top from my Jeep.

🤚💥😢… 🩹…. 🍺 …. 😃

Murphydog

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 X3M, 2023 JLUR XR
Clubs

I live in the PNW, and have both tops. I store my soft top like S2k Chris, inexpensive hooks and wrapped in the vinyl cover that came with it. Windows are tucked in the Mopar window bag.

I installed a Harken Hoister for the hard top, pretty easy install and super easy to lift off and store.
Very pleased overall.

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual Top group — what is your experience?? 273FDED8-E2C0-46B0-A0B9-124572C916C4
Sponsored