Dual Top 2018 JL removing soft top installing Hard Top

Rsquire87

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This happened to me last year. It hurt so bad at first I thought I chopped the end of my finger off. I screamed for my wife or kids or someone... no one came. I finally fumbled around with my foot to pull the Jeep tool bag close enough to reach with my free hand, and used that to pry the bars apart enough to pull my finger out. I was probably stuck there for 5-10 minutes. When I came inside to see why nobody came, the kids were blaring music in the living room and so that’s why they couldn’t hear me. My voice was hoarse the next day from screaming so much, and my finger hurt pretty good for a couple of days too.
Sounds like you caught just the tip ;)

I got my whole thumb in there and nothing I did seemed to help, pulling/pushing it in each direction just made it worse, I think it clamped down past the point of no return. My wife grabbed one of the bars (after a minute or 2 of me struggling by myself before I screamed for her) and pulled sideways as I shoved a wrench and pried it just enough for me to rip my thumb out. It messed me up good.. my thumb had been steadily swelling since it happened lol. And just a minute ago my wife tells me “it was getting really blue but I didn’t want to freak you out so I didn’t say anything”.. Ouch!:headbang:

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
Sounds like you caught just the tip ;)

I got my whole thumb in there and nothing I did seemed to help, pulling/pushing it in each direction just made it worse, I think it clamped down past the point of no return. My wife grabbed one of the bars (after a minute or 2 of me struggling by myself before I screamed for her) and pulled sideways as I shoved a wrench and pried it just enough for me to rip my thumb out. It messed me up good.. my thumb had been steadily swelling since it happened lol. And just a minute ago my wife tells me “it was getting really blue but I didn’t want to freak you out so I didn’t say anything”.. Ouch!:headbang:
I had it stuck pretty good. I remember taking a deep breath and giving it a good yank...it was a bad idea. This year the top came off with no drama. I put the protective cover that it shipped in on it before taking it off the Jeep. I also made sure not to wrap my fingers around any of the bars when I pulled it off.

Rsquire87

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had it stuck pretty good. I remember taking a deep breath and giving it a good yank...it was a bad idea. This year the top came off with no drama. I put the protective cover that it shipped in on it before taking it off the Jeep. I also made sure not to wrap my fingers around any of the bars when I pulled it off.
I still don’t have feeling in 1/3 of my thumb.. is that bad? Lol

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
I still don’t have feeling in 1/3 of my thumb.. is that bad? Lol
You probably have me beat.
PTSD may have blurred the details at this point, but one year later I am relatively unscathed. I just have more “life experience” now and hopefully I will look to prevent future such episodes.
Sponsored