Dual Top 2018 JL removing soft top installing Hard Top

PackMan74

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
First time Jeep Wrangler owner. I love everything about it so far (except when the rain runs down onto my leg when I open my driver side door).

I can’t find a video showing me how to put my Hard Top back on. (I had the dealership install my soft top back in May). If someone could help with that. I’d appreciate it.
If there’s a video showing how to completely remove the soft top, that would be helpful too.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
I suggest that you watch this video completely and mentally conceptualize it in reverse. : - )

OP
OP

PackMan74

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
I suggest that you watch this video completely and mentally conceptualize it in reverse. : - )

So do I need to remove the right and left side door rails and right and left side door frame before putting my hard top back on or can my hardtop go over the top of that?

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
So do I need to remove the right and left side door rails and right and left side door frame before putting my hard top back on or can my hardtop go over the top of that?
You do. Stated more broadly, everything about the soft top, as well as the soft top itself must be removed barring two pieces which don't have to, but can be removed when putting the hard top back on: and those 2 pieces are the hardware on the sports bar which the soft top's locking hardware screws to, or what you see at this point in this video being installed as it relates to guidance on installing the soft top: : - )

The video refers to the pieces as "plates." I leave mine on.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Thanks for @Rahneld for the same video to my post on the subject. It definitely helped if you didn't already make the switch over. I also left the two plates on the sports bar. One tip for you, watch your fingers when you detach the soft top from those brackets. I didn't think about the tension and when I removed it, the connecting piece snapped back onto my thumb. A couple neighbors looked up upon hearing the choice words I exclaimed.

Sponsored

Rahneld

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Ronald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Thanks @TaxPhan Peter. Here's what I like about you.

You can I can have differences of opinion here but still respect each other at the end of the day.

A lot of other posters here seem to think that to dissent from their ideas is to through mud at them, rather than their ideas.

TaxPhan

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Black Sahara
Occupation
VP of Tax
Thanks @TaxPhan Peter. Here's what I like about you.

You can I can have differences of opinion here but still respect each other at the end of the day.

A lot of other posters here seem to think that to dissent from their ideas is to through mud at them, rather than their ideas.
Couldn't agree more! At the end of the day, we are all just trying to help each other out. Ideas are free, so take them or leave them.

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Thanks for @Rahneld for the same video to my post on the subject. It definitely helped if you didn't already make the switch over. I also left the two plates on the sports bar. One tip for you, watch your fingers when you detach the soft top from those brackets. I didn't think about the tension and when I removed it, the connecting piece snapped back onto my thumb. A couple neighbors looked up upon hearing the choice words I exclaimed.
Same thing happened to me yesterday! Reminder to anyone else: make sure the hinges are locked before removing the top from the mounting plates. One of mine was unlocked and it snapped back on my fingers pretty good....no injury but hurled some expletives out of the garage. Lesson learned.

Schism75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18’ JLU SAHARA
I just swapped back the other day from soft top to my hard top. You must remove door rails (4) pieces on 4 door Jeep, (2) rear tail gate clips (1) bolt each side, (2) bolts each side of soft top brackets (access from side of Jeep on roll bar. Release top from sliding track with the thumb lever at the end of it. I re installed the soft top boot that came with it so I don’t scratch the paint again on the roll bar.
The only piece I didn’t have to remove was the top mounting bracket on the roll bar rear (2) on both sides. It wasn’t too bad but a bit time consuming on the 1st go at it. Good luck!

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I thought I had my hinges locked but still snapped on me. Question for you guys where it snapped - were you able to manually force it back to the “normal” position for storing or did you keep it like it is? Seems to want to spread open and would need to fix before putting back on anyway. Pretty stout force though - haven’t tried any t yet.

Sponsored

Dudley Dawson

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I thought I had my hinges locked but still snapped on me. Question for you guys where it snapped - were you able to manually force it back to the “normal” position for storing or did you keep it like it is? Seems to want to spread open and would need to fix before putting back on anyway. Pretty stout force though - haven’t tried any t yet.
I managed to wrestle it back into position and then locked it. It wasn’t easy. I probably got an adrenaline boost from being angry after having my fingers pinched. You should also be able to turn it back while the hinge is in the locked position, and it should “click” when it is secured in the storage (or top down) position. I recall the instructions mentioning to not unlock it when installing. Now I know why.

Mole351

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
I managed to wrestle it back into position and then locked it. It wasn’t easy. I probably got an adrenaline boost from being angry after having my fingers pinched. You should also be able to turn it back while the hinge is in the locked position, and it should “click” when it is secured in the storage (or top down) position. I recall the instructions mentioning to not unlock it when installing. Now I know why.
thanks! I’m not able to make either even budge but probably need to go over the mechanics of it and what else needs to move...think my issue is more the “give” in the the folding motion of the frame vs the spring.

Rubicon630

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 rubicon JLU
Hey mole were you able to get the softtop back to normal? Im in the same boat
thanks! I’m not able to make either even budge but probably need to go over the mechanics of it and what else needs to move...think my issue is more the “give” in the the folding motion of the frame vs the spring.

Rsquire87

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
I had to dig this post back up because I just did the same thing.. I had to scream for my wife to come help me get my thumb free.. that sucked!

InvictusManeo

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler
This happened to me last year. It hurt so bad at first I thought I chopped the end of my finger off. I screamed for my wife or kids or someone... no one came. I finally fumbled around with my foot to pull the Jeep tool bag close enough to reach with my free hand, and used that to pry the bars apart enough to pull my finger out. I was probably stuck there for 5-10 minutes. When I came inside to see why nobody came, the kids were blaring music in the living room and so that’s why they couldn’t hear me. My voice was hoarse the next day from screaming so much, and my finger hurt pretty good for a couple of days too.
Sponsored