Sponsored

Dual Battery from Genesis, any issues?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TKL223/3
Interesting… I figured that if voltage at the fuse and batteries was reading 12V, the fuse wouldn’t have been blown?
@conFUcius

You asked for help and then.....

No disrespect, but you might want to go out and move N3 to N4. See if that remedies the issue you are having. Takes about 8 min. to do..
Sponsored

TKL223/3

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep JLU Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting… I figured that if voltage at the fuse and batteries was reading 12V, the fuse wouldn’t have been blown?
N3 and n4 have the same amp rating so it wouldn’t hurt to switch over and see what happens. You only remove one nut and you’re done.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
@conFUcius

You asked for help and then.....

No disrespect, but you might want to go out and move N3 to N4. See if that remedies the issue you are having. Takes about 8 min. to do..
No disrespect taken… you over-estimate my skills, haha. That’s why I was reluctant to mess with the fuses :whew::giggle:.

N3 and n4 have the same amp rating so it wouldn’t hurt to switch over and see what happens. You only remove one nut and you’re done.
That’s good to know - thanks for helping and explaining it’s that easy to do. I thought it would be some take apart the whole fuse box situation, haha.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
No disrespect taken… you over-estimate my skills, haha. That’s why I was reluctant to mess with the fuses :whew::giggle:.

That’s good to know - thanks for helping and explaining it’s that easy to do. I thought it would be some take apart the whole fuse box situation, haha.
Watch this video. Will get you up to speed in regard to dealing with the High Amp Fuse array.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
Watch this video. Will get you up to speed in regard to dealing with the High Amp Fuse array.

Thanks! I want to learn how to work on the Jeep and I’ve made progress, but I think the occupational training takes over where we’re used to doing things under supervision the first time. Much appreciated once more!

Sponsored

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Sent genesis a message about the ESS system kicking off after 6 restarts (I know most of you think this is a non-issue but as a 6-speed driver I don’t mind ESS because I’m in complete control of it) and the blast of white noise over the stereo speakers during ESS restarts. Was basically told that the first want a problem because most don’t like ESS and the 2nd wasn’t an issue caused by the Genesis system (it most certainly is). Color me unimpressed to say the least.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
A bit of a detour from the topic, but anyone know if the bigger fan (850w Gladiator) has a different harness? Same question for the bigger alternator (240w?). This question relates to the 60a vs 100a fuse array. Because we all know fuses are sized to protect wiring.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
Sent genesis a message about the ESS system kicking off after 6 restarts (I know most of you think this is a non-issue but as a 6-speed driver I don’t mind ESS because I’m in complete control of it) and the blast of white noise over the stereo speakers during ESS restarts. Was basically told that the first want a problem because most don’t like ESS and the 2nd wasn’t an issue caused by the Genesis system (it most certainly is). Color me unimpressed to say the least.
The Genesis system eliminates the aux battery and runs ESS entirely off of the main battery, that's why many people install it. The FCA engineers designed the ESS system so that if it doesn't detect the aux battery within 6 ESS events, it assumes the system is malfunctioning and disables ESS. I agree with Genesis, the 6 ESS event limit is not their fault.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
The Genesis system eliminates the aux battery and runs ESS entirely off of the main battery, that's why many people install it. The FCA engineers designed the ESS system so that if it doesn't detect the aux battery within 6 ESS events, it assumes the system is malfunctioning and disables ESS. I agree with Genesis, the 6 ESS event limit is not their fault.
LOL. They may not have created the stink in the room from the mouse rotting in the trap, but they made the room with the mouse hole that let it get into the trap in the room.

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
LOL. They may not have created the stink in the room from the mouse rotting in the trap, but they made the room with the mouse hole that let it get into the trap in the room.
All I know about mouse traps is that the second mouse gets the cheese.

Sponsored

GumpIsrael

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Sport 2D
Well damn. It looks awesome, but I daily mine thru ATX to jobsites so then this is a no go for me😅. Thnx for the link too.

ManOfSteel_Rust

First Name
Clark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0T/E-Torque
2019 JLUR 2.0T/E-Torque with 20k miles, no ESS battery, and stock 12V battery failure.

Installed Gen2 last year with two brand new yellow top Optima's. I was having nonstop issues with battery drain (both) and many times unable to jumpstart myself. Back and forth for months with Genesis stating the boost button was not designed as a jump start(?). Thanks to this forum I swapped the IBS to the main battery and all problems solved!

My ESS still works and zero codes.

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I installed the system a few months back and I've had two issues thus far:
  1. I have an unhealthy want to watch the battery voltage in order to catch when the system changes states from charging one battery to charging both, etc.
  2. Every time I open the hood, I look at the top of the Genesis system and wonder... just how bad is that thing compared to a 9v batt? 🤔☠:LOL:
For what it's worth, I figured I'd add my multi-year review of the system.

Tldr; I love it.

Detailed review:
I ran the 1st gen for almost a full two years, and I've ran the new 2nd gen now for a little over a year now I think without issue.

I've had my solar system hooked up to a Victron charger located in the back that charges the aux battery when the vehicle isn't running. There's never been any issues, and with the gen2 both batteries stay connected more often than not. So, it's been a nice upgrade from the gen1. Plus, it just looks a hell of a lot cleaner untlder the hood.

My main issue at the moment is two fold (queue sarcasm):

1. When I have to replace the batteries, it'll be about $750 at current prices. I intend on sticking with FullRiver batteries.
  2. I don't know what to do with the gen1 adapter... it sits as a spare on the shelf for now. Maybe a eletric Barbie Jeep build w/dual batts... or did Grind Hard Plumbing already make that video? :LOL: :rock:

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
I have no idea what that means but ok.

Genesis Offroad

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 JK Rubicon, '18 JL Rubicon, '21 JT Rubicon
For what it's worth, I figured I'd add my multi-year review of the system.

Tldr; I love it.

Detailed review:
I ran the 1st gen for almost a full two years, and I've ran the new 2nd gen now for a little over a year now I think without issue.

I've had my solar system hooked up to a Victron charger located in the back that charges the aux battery when the vehicle isn't running. There's never been any issues, and with the gen2 both batteries stay connected more often than not. So, it's been a nice upgrade from the gen1. Plus, it just looks a hell of a lot cleaner untlder the hood.

My main issue at the moment is two fold (queue sarcasm):

1. When I have to replace the batteries, it'll be about $750 at current prices. I intend on sticking with FullRiver batteries.
  2. I don't know what to do with the gen1 adapter... it sits as a spare on the shelf for now. Maybe a eletric Barbie Jeep build w/dual batts... or did Grind Hard Plumbing already make that video? :LOL: :rock:

We've seen a bunch of the Gen 1 and Gen 2 kits pop up on craigslist and FB marketplace. I'd say sell it and recoup some money rather than let it sit on the shelf. :like:
Sponsored