Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Wsup people

. I’m considering getting a dual battery set up to power some accessories. I was curious how well it’ll do with the dometic 55 fridge.

I see that the batteries they recommend is a 59 amp hour battery... will i just go through many batteries if i use it to power my fridge over night? Prob 5-7 times a month..

Also, can someone confirm if a secondary battery can even power a fridge overnight on a full charge? I wonder how long it can power lights like squadrons and fridges for when car turns off.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I have the genesis set up with the full throttle 64AH battery ( FT750-25 ). I recently spent 12 days at EJS 2021 with the fridge plugged in the whole time. (Alpicool C-40 42quart). No Issues. I ran the jeep every day.

In the past I ran the JK for a week with the Alpicool C-15 on a stock JK battery setup.

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
I have the genesis set up with the full throttle 64AH battery ( FT750-25 ). I recently spent 12 days at EJS 2021 with the fridge plugged in the whole time. (Alpicool C-40 42quart). No Issues. I ran the jeep every day.

In the past I ran the JK for a week with the Alpicool C-15 on a stock JK battery setup.
That’s dope... how many hours a night would you say your fridge was running off the battery with the Jeep off?

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
That’s dope... how many hours a night would you say your fridge was running off the battery with the Jeep off?
The JL? some nights, 12 hours. The 12v fridges are good at conserving energy. Especially if you aren't opening them often and putting warm stuff in there.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
With the dedicated battery, I can run the fridge on low voltage to ensure it does not shut off. I never saw less than 12.4 volts.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
With the dedicated battery, I can run the fridge on low voltage to ensure it does not shut off. I never saw less than 12.4 volts.
That’s pretty cool . You can run it on high voltage and it still wouldn’t turn off.. guess ill be investing in the dual battery.. i was originally thinking a goal zero 1500 but don’t really like the idea of carrying it on and off .. also the dual can run my accessory lights as well.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I had an older Goal Zero (400) and the 12v port was not regulated, so it would not last, the fridge would shut off at 75ish % battery. Make sure that you get the newer one or the regulator. I would go with either. The Goal Zero (or whatever solar generator) is a good piece of kit. I use one for my CPAP if I am comping. Bluetti 500... and would use it for the fridge.

I got the dual battery setup to avoid the dead aux battery plague that the JL has.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
I have 3 fridges, all compressor fridges, the one in the camper runs off a 120AH lithium battery and with a few hours of sun every few days it will run forever. I am fitting a 48AH lithium in the floor in the back of my JLUR to run me 25lt compressor fridge, it will easily run it overnight, tested at 22hrs and then I gave up but all it has to do is keep the day pack drinks and food cold when we stop, and maybe run as a beer fridge at night ;)

Bear in mind Lithium gives you more usable power as it can be drawn down further than an AGM, so 48AH Lithium will give about the same usable/safe (for the battery) power as a 80AH AGM. I haven't sorted the setup but here is a quick mock-up :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual battery and fridge 20210405_142152

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
I have 3 fridges, all compressor fridges, the one in the camper runs off a 120AH lithium battery and with a few hours of sun every few days it will run forever. I am fitting a 48AH lithium in the floor in the back of my JLUR to run me 25lt compressor fridge, it will easily run it overnight, tested at 22hrs and then I gave up but all it has to do is keep the day pack drinks and food cold when we stop, and maybe run as a beer fridge at night ;)

Bear in mind Lithium gives you more usable power as it can be drawn down further than an AGM, so 48AH Lithium will give about the same usable/safe (for the battery) power as a 80AH AGM. I haven't sorted the setup but here is a quick mock-up :)

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual battery and fridge 20210405_142152
Sorry for the newb question but if i go with the dual battery from genesis.. it says the secondary battery has 59 ah,20 hour nominal(whatever tha means) and the dometic cfx355 I’m says it consumes 1.1a/h.. with this said how many hours from a full charge am i safe to run this fridge on the battery.. is it even safe for the battery to run it overnight?

99318633-A7AA-439E-B63E-81EE213F8808.jpeg

97DE02AE-FB53-4C9D-8063-E9AA66A90BEA.jpeg

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Sorry for the newb question but if i go with the dual battery from genesis.. it says the secondary battery has 59 ah,20 hour nominal(whatever tha means) and the dometic cfx355 I’m says it consumes 1.1a/h.. with this said how many hours from a full charge am i safe to run this fridge on the battery.. is it even safe for the battery to run it overnight?

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual battery and fridge 97DE02AE-FB53-4C9D-8063-E9AA66A90BEA

Jeep Wrangler JL Dual battery and fridge 97DE02AE-FB53-4C9D-8063-E9AA66A90BEA
Simple rule with AGM is only draw it down 50% if you want it to last,so 59AH give you around 30AH useable, divide that by 1.1AH and you get hours of safe use, so 27hrs, so yep, no problem overnight :)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Paulocon

Paulocon

First Name
Paulo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler jlur
Simple rule with AGM is only draw it down 50% if you want it to last,so 59AH give you around 30AH useable, divide that by 1.1AH and you get hours of safe use, so 27hrs, so yep, no problem overnight :)
Kind of you to explain.

One confusion i have is .. if its a super hot day .. and the compressor turns on more often, would it use more amp hours?? Is what they advertised 1.1 am hours a maximum draw? I thought batteries would drain depending on how much electricity it actual consumes.

Steve F

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, JKU
Kind of you to explain.

One confusion i have is .. if its a super hot day .. and the compressor turns on more often, would it use more amp hours?? Is what they advertised 1.1 am hours a maximum draw? I thought batteries would drain depending on how much electricity it actual consumes.
Yes, hot day, empty fridge, more opening and closing all contribute to higher draw and shorter run times. Normal the AH they quote in specs also quote under what conditions.

dpike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR 3.6
I considered a dual battery for a bit then decided it was a bit over complicated for what I need. I went with a 40ah battery in a power box that charges with a west mountain radio epic power gate which works as a lifepo4 charger, a mppt solar controller and a power switch which will run my fridge off of jeep power while the vehicle is running then switch to the power box when the power is shut off. Accessory lights and power can easily be run from the box to however you need it. So far I'm very happy with it and if I need more battery than the 40ah, there enough room in the box to fit a 70ah battery. I have to admit having a 12v electric blanket in our rtt is a camping game changer.

wibornz

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Retired from Corrections....I have stories.
I run an ARB 47qt fridge in my Jeep. Just the stock battery set up. I have ran the fridge during a trip for 19 days total with no issues. It was also during the dead heat of the summer, July in Moab, Nevada, and California. Some very hot days above 105 degrees and more. I thought of going to dual battery set up, but recently bought a Jackery 1000. So now I will plug the fridge into the Jackery and the Jackery into the Jeep. The Jeep will charge the Jackery faster than the fridge will pull power out of it. The side benefit is I can then use the Jackery while the Jeep is not running to power everything else around the camp. The funny thing, is I can plug the Jackery into the shore power of the camper and use it to charge the camper batteries, power the microwave and everything else like my electric drip coffee maker. If I would have put the dual battery set up in, well I would just have a dual battery set up and not have the flexibility to power other things. I also picked up the two 100 watt solar panels. This way I can charge the Jackery and my camper batteries when we are stopped. The fridge is in the Jeep, so it is always powered by the Jeep unless the Jackery is plugged into it. while the Jeep is charging the Jackery.

Rubycon50

First Name
Royce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JL
Vehicle Showcase
Don't be phased about the genesis. You will have some upfront work to install it but it's not a huge deal and you'll learn more about your jeep. Plus at some point the little tiny stock starter battery may drive you crazy. I have the dual genesis and there is no messing around once it's installed. Just plug your fridge in and you're golden every time. No switches, nothing complicated. I also run a 47 ARB fridge and have had no issues with maintaining the charge. The other nice thing about the genesis is that if for some reason you do run your starter battery low you can press a button to join both batteries and then start it.
In the long run I think it is less complicated than solar and recharging goal zero batteries but each to their own right? Whatever you decide will be right for you.
Sponsored