Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
life goals...get both!

Well, at least I didn’t try and compare the Rubicon to the Mercedes G-wagon.
Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
:facepalm: Top model of each line is top model of each line. Way more options? Like? A hemi? Yes, I'll give you that one...let's get a Hemi. Base model Rebel is $46,400...add a Hemi and we are 47,500....49,000 if you want the E-torque. You want air suspension...the Rubi doesn't have that, so let's add it. You are at 51,000. Leather is not an option on the Rebel, but wait, you can get a bed liner....you know, since it is a truck. What options am I missing? lol. Yes, you can get a Ram with fewer options and get in the same price range. But you can also get a Jeep for much cheaper than 55K. So even if you are going to try to compare apples to oranges, at least make an attempt at it. Even the original post was comparing the Rubicon to a Limited....

Let's compare a BMW or Lexus with the Rubicon next...after all, they are way more refined on the inside. ;) Just bustin' your chops man. As I said, if someone wants a Ram instead of a Jeep, that's great, more power to them. I really like the looks of the Ram, and may look at one down the road. But trying to compare the two....*sigh*....
Dude your missing it. I have done the comparison in depth. First I will not buy another Jeep with the V6 so the ONLY way Im buying it is with a diesel (add $6K to the current JL Rubicon price as thats what the diesel will cost)

You can look at what I mean in this thread https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/forum/threads/anyone-concerned-about-costs.1343/

As I sure as hell dont feel like rehashing a most of it.

Also I built both a Rebel and a Laramie here for comparison:

https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/...2019-1500-is-the-jt-going-to-be-cheaper.3635/

Which with discounts puts me in mid to high $40K range, which will most likely be less then any diesel Rubicon.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Dude your missing it. I have done the comparison in depth. First I will not buy another Jeep with the V6 so the ONLY way Im buying it is with a diesel (add $6K to the current JL Rubicon price as thats what the diesel will cost)

You can look at what I mean in this thread https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/forum/threads/anyone-concerned-about-costs.1343/

As I sure as hell dont feel like rehashing a most of it.

Also I built both a Rebel and a Laramie here for comparison:

https://www.jeepscramblerforum.com/...2019-1500-is-the-jt-going-to-be-cheaper.3635/

Which with discounts puts me in mid to high $40K range, which will most likely be less then any diesel Rubicon.
HAHAHA! :cwl::cwl::cwl: Sorry, but I just have to laugh at the links you posted, as even folks on the Scrambler forum are busting your chops about it not being a fair comparison for a Jeep vs RAM.

But you are right..."I'm missing it"....along with everyone else, apparently. But it's cool...enjoy your RAM.

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
So to throw a wrench in the conversation, how about we pick the Ram that is most like the Rubicon. I know you all mentioned the Rebel, but realistically, the most comparable to the Rubicon is the Power Wagon.
Like the Rubicon it has power locking/unlocking sway bars, 4.10 gears, solid locking axles, Bilstein shocks, a full frame, hill decent control, skid plates, 17" wheels with A/T tires, and a winch.
The Rebel is simply intended to provide a stock option for common mods. Sure it's capable off road, but it's no different than adding new tires and a few extras to any other Ram. That's similar to the guys who buy a Wrangler Sport and say they can make it as capable as a Rubicon by adding tires and a suspension lift. Sure they may be able to go the same places, but they're missing a lot of things the Rubi has. Likewise the Rebel may be more off road minded than a Limited, but it's missing a lot of stuff the Power Wagon has. The only difference between the guy with the modded Sport Wrangler who wants it to be similar to a Rubi, and the guy with the Rebel who wants it to be similar to a Power Wagon is that the guy with the Rebel got it stock.
If we're really going to compare the Ram to a Rubicon, in regards to off road capability, we should be looking at the Wagon, not the Rebel.

That ought to stir the pot. :devil:

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
Also the Jeep will fit where the Ram never could, I do the concession trails where I am and the ram wouldn’t ever fit in 90% of the places, rock crawl and I can guarantee you’ll be losing some body plastics front end. You can’t compare the two, Jeep is closer to a mid sized suv with go anywhere anytime capabilities, the ram is a pickup.......it’s meant to serve a few other things other than off roading

Sponsored

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
HAHAHA! :cwl::cwl::cwl: Sorry, but I just have to laugh at the links you posted, as even folks on the Scrambler forum are busting your chops about it not being a fair comparison for a Jeep vs RAM.

But you are right..."I'm missing it"....along with everyone else, apparently. But it's cool...enjoy your RAM.
I have never said that the 1500 (any model) and the Rubicon are the same. I'll I said is that you can get a nicely equipped Rebel for the SAME money. You said they are more money. The links where to show the comparisons that you can in FACT get a 1500 for the same money especially a Rebel trim package. The link also shows you can get a current POWER WAGON for similar money as well, which @Shots mentioned is even closer to a Rubicon.

Also the thread linked is just the Great Grape Ape complaining which if you have been on here long enough, is always right about everything and just like to argue with people. The entire point is that you can get a vechicle that can go 85-90% of the places the Rubicon can but also add other features the Rubicon doesn't offer.

For example. Im into overlanding and not rock crawling. I also daily drive my current Wrangler, so when its time for it to go things like range, comfort, and load capacity all come into play in addition to off-road worthiness. Its why I gave up on the JL and have been waiting to see what comes about with the JT. Yes if you are a rock crawler the pickup is not better for you. But if your the occasional offroader there are a lot of other vehicle options out that that can meet those needs and offer things the jeep cant like a V8 or diesel, extra room, and on road comfort.

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
I have never said that the 1500 (any model) and the Rubicon are the same.
A Rebel is actually the model that is closest to the Rubicon and yes they are about the same price with the Rebel having way more options.
Ummm...Okay :like:

BUT....since we are now in agreement they are not the same...we can further agree that they can't be compared....correct? I will absolutely concede that SOME models of the 1500 are comparable in price. And yes, you can get SOME features that are not available on a completely different vehicle. However, that completely different vehicle has some options that are not available on the RAM. But one is a truck...one isn't. The Rubicon (and the RAM) is also in the same price range as a 4Runner....and a Pilot....and the list goes on and on. But all are completely different vehicles. As I have said...pointless argument. :headbang:

I will disagree with one thing though....A full sized truck....no matter what the brand....will not go 90% of the places my 2 Door Rubi will. lol.

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon (Only missing Proxy) / 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 6.4" Box w/eTorque
Occupation
Engineer
Bingo, the Jeep will fill imo about 90% of a mid sized suv take (think escape or cry), and offer far more fun, 90% meaning simplicity and ease of life.

On concession trail I saw a guy with a power wagon that had to turn around simply because it was to wide to get around turns, there’s area where you go between rocks and on either side of the Jeep I’m lucky to have 3-4 inches and that’s with rocking, my ram would rock and hit and the side views would be ripped off

Two very different vehicles with different purposes, a pickup can be modified to be an off road road vehicle but a full size won’t fit nor be as nimble and as precise as the Jeep on technical trails

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Well for what it’s worth now, got a quote back. Approximately 12% under MSRP. So I guess you can get a pretty good deal on them.

Lots of great points here so I appreciate all the info. The Ram will never replace my Jeep and vice versa. As far as value, it was just an initial observation I had since both vehicles come from FCA. Didn’t want to imply any comparisons of capabilities. Also, not sure what the profit margins are on each, but I’m sure they are more on the Wrangler. FCA did a great job with the new 1500 and Wrangler.

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Well for what it’s worth now, got a quote back. Approximately 12% under MSRP. So I guess you can get a pretty good deal on them.

Lots of great points here so I appreciate all the info. The Ram will never replace my Jeep and vice versa. As far as value, it was just an initial observation I had since both vehicles come from FCA. Didn’t want to imply any comparisons of capabilities. Also, not sure what the profit margins are on each, but I’m sure they are more on the Wrangler. FCA did a great job with the new 1500 and Wrangler.
I see what you’re saying, it based on “value” each person sees value differently. My Jeep couldn’t replace my pickup and my pickup can’t replace my Jeep. I find as a daily driver and moving things around, my pickup, when I’m in the mood for fun mostly the Jeep But the new ram is fun but it’s mostly new but if you look at dollars I feel like I’m getting my money’s worth in the new ram for sure. I can vouch both are great, I’ve been lucky neither have any issues.

Sponsored

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Also the Jeep will fit where the Ram never could....
Absolutely. One of the things that I'm still thrilled by every time I drive my Jeep is how much more agile and compact it is. The truck was like a yacht. Comfortable, and fancy, but needed some room to move. Agile it was not.

I have never said that the 1500 (any model) and the Rubicon are the same. I'll I said is that you can get a nicely equipped Rebel for the SAME money......
Yup. Depending on trims and options, you CAN get a Ram for similar prices of the Wrangler.

...Two very different vehicles with different purposes, a pickup can be modified to be an off road road vehicle but a full size won’t fit nor be as nimble and as precise as the Jeep on technical trails
Having come form a Ram to a JL, I can attest to that. The two don't compare, they are completely different vehicles. Although I don't think the intent of the thread was ever to make a comparison on anything but price. That part does compare depending on trim/options, but the same can be said for a lot of cars too.

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Absolutely. One of the things that I'm still thrilled by every time I drive my Jeep is how much more agile and compact it is. The truck was like a yacht. Comfortable, and fancy, but needed some room to move. Agile it was not.

Yup. Depending on trims and options, you CAN get a Ram for similar prices of the Wrangler.

Having come from a Ram to a JL, I can attest to that. The two don't compare, they are completely different vehicles. Although I don't think the intent of the thread was ever to make a comparison on anything but price. That part does compare depending on trim/options, but the same can be said for a lot of cars too.
Well said

I use to off-road my pickups, but always had something happen, bought a jeep went off roading and haven't been Technical Off-Roading with a pickup since (off roading but nothing "Technical"). The jeep does has the nimbless, size and good mix of all around everything, lots of parts and mods (about 75% are good quality vs pickups I've seen people buy cheap lifts and everything just snap first attempt off road etc).

Shots

First Name
Winchell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Rubicon
Ooo, good point. The aftermarket on the Wrangler is HUGE. I thought Ram parts were easy to find, but wow, Wrangler parts simply flood the market.
Still a little slow for the JL parts to become super plentiful, but I'm sure they're coming if every other prior model is any indication.

techieanalyst

First Name
EC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Ooo, good point. The aftermarket on the Wrangler is HUGE. I thought Ram parts were easy to find, but wow, Wrangler parts simply flood the market.
Still a little slow for the JL parts to become super plentiful, but I'm sure they're coming if every other prior model is any indication.
There will be plenty for sure, I have a magnaflow exhaust for my current JL, winch and new rims and tires but will probably save it for my 2019 now ;)

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Having come form a Ram to a JL, I can attest to that. The two don't compare, they are completely different vehicles. Although I don't think the intent of the thread was ever to make a comparison on anything but price. That part does compare depending on trim/options, but the same can be said for a lot of cars too.
This sums up the point I was trying to make 100%.

For me Im not nor will I ever be a Rock Crawler (If I was into that I would have a dedicated vehicle that I could beat up and park during the week like a UTV instead). I daily drive my JKU Rubi, and use it for Overlanding. After putting 75,000 miles on it since new I have come to the personal conclusion that the Wrangler while super capable is NOT the best base of a vehicle for Overlanding and hence why I didn't buy a JL and am looking at the JT and other pickups. Personally Im fine giving up some rock crawling capability in exchange for better capacity (load - hold more gear, roof top tent, bed rack etc), better on HWY comfort (for 5+ hour drives), and better range.
Sponsored