Drove a Ram 1500 Limited - wow

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Now I love my Rubicon, but dollar for dollar you get a ton more truck in the Ram than you do the Wrangler. Now you can go on and on about the Rubicons locking axles, swaybar disconnects, 4WD systems, removable top, etc, but the fit, finish, quality, hemi, and overall package of the Ram which is in the same price range as the Rubicon is incredible.

Almost makes me regret my decision to pay so much for my Rubicon. Would have rather got a base model Wrangler and a fully decked out limited. Now I have to figure out a way to keep the Rubicon and buy a Ram Limited.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Ok, you get a ton more vehicle for your money in a Ram. Can’t wait to get one. The version I test drove can actually self park either parallel or back itself in. Pretty cool stuff.

Wanderingwheelz

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport
Now I love my Rubicon, but dollar for dollar you get a ton more truck in the Ram than you do the Wrangler. Now you can go on and on about the Rubicons locking axles, swaybar disconnects, 4WD systems, removable top, etc, but the fit, finish, quality, hemi, and overall package of the Ram which is in the same price range as the Rubicon is incredible.

Almost makes me regret my decision to pay so much for my Rubicon. Would have rather got a base model Wrangler and a fully decked out limited. Now I have to figure out a way to keep the Rubicon and buy a Ram Limited.
This is EXACTLY why there are a lot of us driving Wrangler Sports. Keeping the cost down on it allows for other things in life.

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
I’ve never been a truck guy, but the new Ram has me convinced I’m getting one. I was a bit nervous driving it through the dealer parking lot...not as much as the salesman, but enough to keep my spinning every direction. But the Park sense and every other sensor made it too easy once I realized they’d either beep at me if I got too close and just stop the truck if I was about to hit something.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saejin

Saejin

First Name
Gene
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR - Firecracker Red
Just built a Limited for $64,295 MSRP!!!

Rubiconnoisseur

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 JKU Sport, 2018 JlU Sport, 2018 JLU Rubicon
Two totally different vehicles, Ram and Wrangler.

The Ram Rebel is a very nice truck. The 2019 will be even better. Locking rear diffs, air suspension, skid plate, etc. Awesome interior as well.

But I am a Wrangler man.......

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
Yes, you'll get more truck for your money out of a RAM, but you won't get any of that back when you go to sell. That truck will easily lose $10k the second you drive it off the lot and whatever further depreciation after owning it for a while. Your Wrangler might lose $2k-$3k coming off the lot, but that's about it and it pretty much stops there. Considering Jeep keeps sneaking little price increases every few months, you'll most likely recover some of that depreciation in one form or another.

emilboya

First Name
Emil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hummer H3 (Sold) & Jeep JL
Occupation
Process Engineer
I'm a Wrangler man for life but I can't wait for the Bronco to come in and take away some market share from FCA and hopefully get some competitive pricing from the two companies!

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
Agreed. I love the new rebel. I’ve been tempted to jump ship and get that instead but at the end of the day they fill two completely different needs.

You’re not taking a ram down a lot of these Jeep trails. It doesn’t have the aftermarket support or huge following with clubs and events, trail rides etc.

If you’re just gonna daily drive it and haul stuff around then you’d be much better off with the ram.

Sponsored

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
And yes. The jeeps are incredibly overpriced. The gap between a sport with the options I want and a base rubicon that comes stock with those options isn’t big enough to make me buy a sport. Unfortunately.

JeepSmash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited
I'll stick to my JLUR and f150 King Ranch.

Maybe, they could learn something from the JL designers and get rid of the hideous "RAM" on the front grill. Perhaps the tailgate, also.
But how will you know it’s a ram if it doesn’t have 2 foot tall letters on the tailgate?

;)

azamani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited JL Sport S
I'm a Wrangler man for life but I can't wait for the Bronco to come in and take away some market share from FCA and hopefully get some competitive pricing from the two companies!
The early pics I've seen of the 2020 Bronco (not sure how official they are) look absolutely incredible. Curious how it measures up to the wrangler by then and if it can be considered in the same category as an elite off roader. From an aesthetics perspective it already looks up there with Wranglers and better than a 4runner IMO. It should make this niche market a little more competitive price-wise as well as general quality/performance.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I love the new design of the RAM!!!

VolCntry73

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2-Door Rubicon JL, 2018 Accord, 2008 Accord, 2007 CRV, 2000 Dodge Dakota
Now you can go on and on about the Rubicons locking axles, swaybar disconnects, 4WD systems, removable top, etc, but the fit, finish, quality, hemi, and overall package of the Ram which is in the same price range as the Rubicon is incredible.

Just built a Limited for $64,295 MSRP!!!
Umm....maybe my math is failing me, but how are they in the same price range?

And yes, I agree, the Rams are very nice....but comparing one to the other is kind of pointless. You made a laundry list of things the Rubi has that the Ram doesn't...so I suppose it's what is important to you. I wouldn't mind having one down the road, but as much as I like the Ram, $65K for a 1/2 Ton is a bit insane.
Sponsored