OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
Here’s a new one...

Just put my doors back on because it’s going to rain. I dropped the long bit used for the detent bolts and it fell right into the crack between the frame and the quarter panel. I haven’t driven anywhere, but I just know it’s gonna rattle around. Ugh!

I crawled under and there is no opening. I can’t see the bit in there, but I’m 99% sure that’s where it went.

Suggestions?

Jeep Wrangler JL SOLVED: Dropped torx bit into frame 2A441697-0DAF-454C-8CCF-864E004CEA44
Sponsored

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I literally did this the other day. I was able to loosen the bolt where the arrow is in your picture, and the bit dropped out of the bottom.
No kidding? I am off to try... looking at the bolt it doesn’t seem like it would allow anything to move, but I’ll take your word for it!

I will report back...

Lateapex

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1944 MB, 2019 JLS
Clubs

I had a similar problem when a broken bolt that I was drilling out fell into the frame. I made a fishing tool out of some drip irrigation tubing that I epoxied a small neodymium magnet onto one end.

The irrigation tubing was just flexible enough to fish around a few inches inside the frame, and the magnet was strong enough to retrieve the broken bolt.

Jeep Wrangler JL SOLVED: Dropped torx bit into frame IMG_8156

Sponsored

Sting_NC_USA

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OK, loosening the bolt as suggested by @AJR2025 didn’t work. I have a 2dr Rubicon, and the rock rails 100% block any exit from the bottom.

To wit:

Jeep Wrangler JL SOLVED: Dropped torx bit into frame D0D80BC8-4351-46C3-9D0C-7983C5BA6F68

I can’t see the thing, and I just drove all around and over bumps and can’t hear it. Hmm. I scoured my driveway, under the seat and floormat, etc.

What happened was that the bit was stuck in the bolt and I didn’t notice. When I closed the door (luckily I was slowly moving it toward closed, but didn’t slam it shut) I just heard the sound of metal bouncing off of metal. Not able to find it anywhere, my conclusion is that it went into the crack, but I guess I can’t confirm that.

I’m happy there is no rattle, but the mystery will annoy me. I’m going to try the magnet approach.

I have one of these, but it found nothing... could be because the bit, if it’s even in there, is off to the side. The JB Tools magnet grabber looks promising, but I’m not paying $8 shipping for a $5 tool. I will see what I can find on Amazon or make my own like @Lateapex

Anyway, thanks for the great ideas. If I ever solve this one I’ll report back

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, you didn't get the memo: only 10mm sockets are allowed to be lost forever. Dunno why, but it's ALWAYS 10mm
Note that the bolt under the arrow in my 1st pic is a 10mm... I was very careful when loosening it!

Sponsored

WagzDad

First Name
Carroll
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Same spot 2x washer then the nut for mirrors. I wound up approaching it from the bottom and moved it to the rear and they both fell out. The opening is a tad larger at the bottom rear on mine.

OP
OP
OldGuyNewJeep

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
Ding, ding, ding!!

I hated paying more in shipping than the tool costs, but it worked great!

Thanks!

Jeep Wrangler JL SOLVED: Dropped torx bit into frame 1F81E1A3-F205-4566-B072-E35F9222C651
@OldGuyNewJeep

Now, you are getting me spending $.... :LOL:

Just ordered one of those for me and my one Son. Paid $10.41 each, which included sales tax and shipping.. Got on eBAY.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/V8-Tools-3...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I have a 3' telescoping, non flexible, wand but could use a flexible one like this... Son in Navy, needed a new, magnetic pickup tool, so did him a solid and sent him one.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@OldGuyNewJeep

When you were on your knees, praying over the door sill, repeatedly, looking for the torx bit, retrieving the torx bit, your old knees were traumatized... Here is something else to spend $ on.....

A Track Mat/"Trailer Ware" by Bed Rug.

I have had one for years and have given as gifts to my Sons. They are sturdy, well made, and last for years and years.. your knees and back will appreciate one....

What a pleasure it is to have this mat....

GREAT, when fishing out lost torx bits from your JL's frame.........
great, when working on the Jeep(s) or lawn mower of whatever.. Great to use, when working on a gravel driveway of hot asphalt driveway, etc.. Check it out:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0097JQ32O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Jeep Wrangler JL SOLVED: Dropped torx bit into frame tm
Sponsored