Dropped passenger front door

MallCrawlLol

First Name
Rick Astley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 jlu 6mt
Was trying to beat the rain, door slipped out of my hand. Big ass bend on the bottom, there is no way to bend it back with just my hands, not even sure the door will close.

FML. I wonder how much that devalues the jeep? If I buy a brand new one, then hopefully not much. But I might try and get a bodyshop to repair it.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Man, that sucks. You were better off letting the Jeep get rained in a little.
Got any pics of the door?

stil2low

First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep jk
Damn sorry to hear. Depending on the bend and what aluminum is used (can’t recall at the moment) it may be cheaper to replace the whole shell

Sponsored

Kyanche

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
If you replace the door (or door skin), it won't devalue anything at all. The Jeep hasn't been in an accident and if the shop does a good job (as expected), nobody would ever know anyway. :)

Source: Someone backed their pickup into my car in a parking lot once. It left a huge dent in a door but no other damage at all. You'd never be able to tell since it looked perfect.

Jamin55

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor, Audi Q8, VW Tiguan
If you replace the door (or door skin), it won't devalue anything at all. The Jeep hasn't been in an accident and if the shop does a good job (as expected), nobody would ever know anyway. :)

Source: Someone backed their pickup into my car in a parking lot once. It left a huge dent in a door but no other damage at all. You'd never be able to tell since it looked perfect.
As an interim solution,which I have done since I did the same thing back in the day, Get two pieces of at least two inch width pieces of wood. the length should based on length of bend. One piece under the bend( if not to bad) the other on top. Use a heavy rubber or wood mallet. By hammering with the two pieces it will start to straighten evenly. Gives u time to figure out long term game plan.
A body repair guy showed me this little trick.

Jamin55

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Raptor, Audi Q8, VW Tiguan
As an interim solution,which I have done since I did the same thing back in the day, Get two pieces of at least two inch width pieces of wood. the length should based on length of bend. One piece under the bend( if not to bad) the other on top. Use a heavy rubber or wood mallet. By hammering with the two pieces it will start to straighten evenly. Gives u time to figure out long term game plan.
You'll have to take door off and have a flat surface or saw horses

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I feel like a gawker behind the police lines at a crime-scene, but in for pics. Sorry OP, sucks.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
I slipped a little putting one of my doors back on and scratched the hinge a little bit and I almost cried. If this had happened to me I'd be inconsolable. So sorry @MallCrawlLol, one way or another it'll all eventually be OK :)

Sponsored

Kidder212

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR 2.0L turbo
Just take the door to a body shop. Tell them to fix it and paint match to the upper part of the door no VIN number involved.

melendez69

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase
That's too bad...It's a good-looking door. I guess you can say it was "adorable."

Sorry... couldn't help it. But all is not lost... It can be repaired.

Ok...How about I just go now.

1idrod

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
ritterhomesinc.com
Vehicle(s)
06 GMC 3/4 Diesel, 02 V-Rod
Occupation
Builder
Another thing to try is like mentioned above but use two C-clamps instead of hammering and two 2x4's about 6" long or so on each side and gradually clamp each side evenly to get close then there will be a point that you won't get any more. You then might have put something between the door and 2x4 on the side bumped out to finish the job. Maybe a smaller piece of wood only the size or smaller of the remaining bump. At least the door would close then.

Gallagher

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon Unlimited JL
Another thing to try is like mentioned above but use two C-clamps instead of hammering and two 2x4's about 6" long or so on each side and gradually clamp each side evenly to get close then there will be a point that you won't get any more. You then might have put something between the door and 2x4 on the side bumped out to finish the job. Maybe a smaller piece of wood only the size or smaller of the remaining bump. At least the door would close then.
Agree with both of these, the only thing I would add would be to put a microfiber polishing cloth over the wood to help prevent marks in the finish. Might not matter if the finish is damaged already.

The first time I took my doors off my '19 JLUR, I had them leaned up on the front of my house and my 3 year old daughter knocked the passenger rear face down on my exposed aggregate driveway and it slid about a foot and a half down the concrete...(18% slope on the driveway)...sigh.

Stormin’ Moorman

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JLUR, 20 JLUR, 21 JL, 21 GCL, 89 YJ, 04 LJ
Occupation
Forester
Vehicle Showcase
My passenger door fell off the wall hanger and bent right on the seam. I took it to s body shop and they straightened and repainted it. I paid cash so it won’t pop up on auto fox. Stupid tax.
Sponsored