Sponsored

Drop brackets and mopar LCAs too much for 1.5in?

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
So as of now, I’ve got rubi springs on my sport and mopar arms. But I’m already planning on ordering rubi xr springs for that extra 1.5in. I’m limited on height at my jobs parking garage so for now that’s as high as I wanna go.

My main question is if adding something like rancho drop brackets, would it be too much caster paired with my mopar arms? I figure it would push the caster back to where it is now after adding rubi xr springs.
Sponsored

hoag4147

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR XR
Vehicle Showcase
So as of now, I’ve got rubi springs on my sport and mopar arms. But I’m already planning on ordering rubi xr springs for that extra 1.5in. I’m limited on height at my jobs parking garage so for now that’s as high as I wanna go.

My main question is if adding something like rancho drop brackets, would it be too much caster paired with my mopar arms? I figure it would push the caster back to where it is now after adding rubi xr springs.
Msg @DanW. He has both on his. Can’t remember the details.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Msg @DanW. He has both on his. Can’t remember the details.
I had the Rancho drop brackets on my JL for about 2 weeks with the longer Mopar lift lower control arms and it just didn't work with them. It was designed for the standard length stock control arms. Because of this, caster angle was at over 11 degrees. I thought it was at 6 but the pinion angle was negative, so that didn't make sense. Another forum member looked at it and rightly said it was way high, and it didn't steer very well. So I found some standard LCA's and just Saturday decided not to install them but rather go back to the way it was. That turned out to be a good decision and it now drives/steers better than before I tried the Ranchos.

So the question is why? I have a hypothesis. I think the dealership installed the Mopar lift on a lift and tightened everything down with no weight on the suspension. I did all the work I did on my back under the Jeep, with the full weight on the suspension, so I think when I re-installed the upper and lower control arms, then tightened them properly, with the weight on the wheels, it changed things for the better. All I know for sure, though, is that it feels better than ever now.

So what about the drop brackets? With the right LCA's, I think they'd be great. One thing I did notice is that while it didn't steer as well, the ride when hitting bumps was noticeably better. One day I may try again, but this time will go with the standard length LCA's and I think it will be great.

Sorry for the rambling, but this has been a real learning experience for me. I remain a believer in the drop brackets after talking to an AEV guy who was once a suspension engineer for Chrysler on the JK. They like to put them on all their lifts and highly recommend it to customers who don't initially want them. There's a reason for that. I will be putting a set on my JK, which has an AEV lift and is matched to the brackets. I'm confident it will improve the ride and even handling a little.

Roky

First Name
Roky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase

Yes both is to much for 1.5” lift.

OP
OP
CptFloridaMan

CptFloridaMan

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport 2.0
I had the Rancho drop brackets on my JL for about 2 weeks with the longer Mopar lift lower control arms and it just didn't work with them. It was designed for the standard length stock control arms. Because of this, caster angle was at over 11 degrees. I thought it was at 6 but the pinion angle was negative, so that didn't make sense. Another forum member looked at it and rightly said it was way high, and it didn't steer very well. So I found some standard LCA's and just Saturday decided not to install them but rather go back to the way it was. That turned out to be a good decision and it now drives/steers better than before I tried the Ranchos.

So the question is why? I have a hypothesis. I think the dealership installed the Mopar lift on a lift and tightened everything down with no weight on the suspension. I did all the work I did on my back under the Jeep, with the full weight on the suspension, so I think when I re-installed the upper and lower control arms, then tightened them properly, with the weight on the wheels, it changed things for the better. All I know for sure, though, is that it feels better than ever now.

So what about the drop brackets? With the right LCA's, I think they'd be great. One thing I did notice is that while it didn't steer as well, the ride when hitting bumps was noticeably better. One day I may try again, but this time will go with the standard length LCA's and I think it will be great.

Sorry for the rambling, but this has been a real learning experience for me. I remain a believer in the drop brackets after talking to an AEV guy who was once a suspension engineer for Chrysler on the JK. They like to put them on all their lifts and highly recommend it to customers who don't initially want them. There's a reason for that. I will be putting a set on my JK, which has an AEV lift and is matched to the brackets. I'm confident it will improve the ride and even handling a little.
I’ve been considering the drop brackets for geo correction, less so caster and what not. I still have my stock arms, so I’ll consider buying drop brackets and then throwing the stock arms at it and see what happens with the caster.

Yes both is to much for 1.5” lift.
Copy that. Figured as much as my steering is wonderful now, but am wanting to kind of dial in the caster and geo with the extra 1.5in.
Sponsored