Sponsored

Droning..... Is actually the SUB reverbing (Update)

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
I have this issue as well and its the actually the subwoofer. Unplug your hardtop wiring and try it - my subwoofer goes nuts. I wish I knew how to fix it. Not all 392s have the issue. I have a buddy with 2 - one does It and the other does not. I would love to know a solution for it as well.
Sponsored

J.Ferreira

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tmgps.org
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLWS 6MT
This could just be a vent session, but on the off chance that this is an issue (which I doubt), does anyone else have droning at around 1500 RPM? I don't mean when it goes in to cyl deactivation mode, because it happens in deactivation or not. I just turn up the radio, but it drives the wife nuts... Any one else?
Which engine has cylinder deactivation mode?

Ya know.. I feel like I could have just looked at your listed vehicle. lol

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
I have this issue as well and its the actually the subwoofer. Unplug your hardtop wiring and try it - my subwoofer goes nuts. I wish I knew how to fix it. Not all 392s have the issue. I have a buddy with 2 - one does It and the other does not. I would love to know a solution for it as well.
Wait.... I will science this tomorrow... I dont plug in my hard top because I take it off so often... If this is it, holy crap what a flaw.... I did note that I hear my speakers give a pop when I turn on and off the sport exhaust.

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Which engine has cylinder deactivation mode?

Ya know.. I feel like I could have just looked at your listed vehicle. lol
lol yeah... 392...

Sponsored

Rubi64L

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Sting Gray 392, 2000 Supercharged WJ
With a box shaped interior, that has minimul sound deadening materials, it's gonna happen. I don't think this was at the designer's top list of priorities to minimize. I have multiple Vipers that drone like crazy at around 1400 RPM on the freeway - and the way to fix it is to downshift a gear and get the exhaust out of the resonant frequency zone.

To me, the drone is cool - and my wife thinks it's cool, too. It makes the car more "real" like it's communicating to you that it wants to get right into the powerband and have some fun.

For long trips, sure, it could be a bit annoying. But, if you stay out of the resonant frequency zone, it will go away. Downshift or upshift - either will change the exhaust and engine pulses resonating through the cabin. There's a tradeoff - if the drone is at maximum MPG and is annoying, then downshift to a higher RPM and burn a little more gas (and let the engine breathe).

Mercedes went through all kinds of efforts to remove drone in the G-Wagons - but we buy Jeeps because of what they are, and drone is at the bottom of the list of most buyer must-haves.

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
What I’m experiencing is beyond drone. It’s caused by the subwoofer and when the soft top is on it goes nuts. I can turn the radio off and bass is out of control from the subwoofer. It is amplified with the exhaust valves open. Unplugging the mics didn’t fix my buddies, but the dealer did it. I will try that as well.

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
Very curious read...

My original, 2021 392 almost never droned, and interestingly enough, I only took the hard top off of it once the whole year I had it. (And even then it was only for a day or two.)

My 2022 by comparison drones badly, to the extent that I rarely leave the loud exhaust button on anymore, since that seems to amplify it a ton. And interestingly, it has the Sky One-Touch Top, which is nearly ALWAYS open at least a little bit, every single time I drive it. Another curious piece of evidence that might support the subwoofer theory, my music pauses for about a millisecond every time I fully open, or fully close the retractable top.

Was intending to replace the exhaust with the new Borla cat-back system soon to get rid of it, but I guess I'll look into the subwoofer issue first.

Thanks to you guys who suggested this, and shared the links!

-Rob

Sponsored

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
Update, I plugged in my hard top connector, as I said before I take it off so often that I never plug it in, and 99% solution for me....

Usethis83

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 392 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR

Rob97RR

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 392 XR Rubi, 2023 C8 Corvette Z06 & 2023 Ducati
Occupation
Stay at home dad to 2 munchkins, best job in the world!
I did some experimenting today and agree, it's 100% my sub. Anyone know a fix for this on a 392 with the Sky One-Touch option?

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Very curious read...

My original, 2021 392 almost never droned, and interestingly enough, I only took the hard top off of it once the whole year I had it. (And even then it was only for a day or two.)

My 2022 by comparison drones badly, to the extent that I rarely leave the loud exhaust button on anymore, since that seems to amplify it a ton. And interestingly, it has the Sky One-Touch Top, which is nearly ALWAYS open at least a little bit, every single time I drive it. Another curious piece of evidence that might support the subwoofer theory, my music pauses for about a millisecond every time I fully open, or fully close the retractable top.

Was intending to replace the exhaust with the new Borla cat-back system soon to get rid of it, but I guess I'll look into the subwoofer issue first.

Thanks to you guys who suggested this, and shared the links!

-Rob
I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to disable the ANC. The amplified drone in yours, like mine, may be coming from the sub. It is easy to diagnose if you have someone ride in the back when you open SOT. I think I've narrowed down to a faulty ground somewhere ... but who knows where. So, I've moved on to disabling ANC. Yes, removing the mics (there are 4 in the sport bar panel above the headrests - NOT the ones by the mirror those are for handsfree) should cancel all of the ANC beside the MDS generated ANC which is run through the PCM module. Needless to say, I haven't got an easy solution yet. If you don't run a soft top (go topless) and leave the SOT open fully it isn't too much of an issue. If you crack the SOT or run a soft top and have the problem that mine does, it's nearly unbearable, particularly with the exhaust valves open. Here are the possible solutions:

1. Tune through Livernois and / or cam upgrade to prevent MDS AND unplug ANC mics.

2. Upgrade the whole audio system AND get the MDS removed. This requires a new head unit that will be compatible with cameras and off road +, new amp, and new speakers. (not cheap)

3. Remove the sub completely

4. Unplug the mics and live with just the MDS produced ANC - which is still significant.

5. Find a way to turn off ANC through a OBD programmer and security gateway. I have a message into the dealer to see if they've got the capability to turn off ANC.

6. Call it a lemon and have jeep buy it back. Not a good option for me - I've got tens of thousands of upgrades into the vehicle.

I'm sharing hoping that someone here has some other solutions, as I'd like to be able to run my softop without the subwoofer having seizures.
Sponsored