Sponsored

Droning..... Is actually the SUB reverbing (Update)

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Very easy. It’s located near the obd port. Right in front of where you plug a tazer in. Can’t miss it, took me less than 2 min.
just before I go unplugging things, am I looking in the right spot (this is looking up, and behind the OBDII port) and is it #1 or #2.

the adapter itself looks to have a lot less wires running through it so wanted to make sure

@Monturbo
Jeep Wrangler JL Droning..... Is actually the SUB reverbing (Update) C39A4C17-62AE-4F3B-B9F4-A896D749C933

Jeep Wrangler JL Droning..... Is actually the SUB reverbing (Update) 51B285DC-9D2A-4612-86D1-A1CB3CAA0252
Sponsored

Last edited:

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
I'm guessing it's #1 because the adapter has a two larger gauge wires (i.e. yellow and black) on the outer terminals, same as the white connector in the car, while the grey connector in the car does not use these wires. I just plugged mine in, will test it over the next week, let's see what happens.

20230730_110250.jpg

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Yes, it’s the white connector. Sorry, been out of service for a week in the Alpine Loop! Mine has been in for weeks and it works great.

caraholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Taycan Turbo, 392XR, 981S, F430
Has anyone noticed any negatives by adding this? Are calls harder to hear for the person on the other end of the line?

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
I’m still able to make calls with the hard top on. My wife can hear the kids talk from the back seat. I haven’t tried it with the soft top or topless.

Sponsored

OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
This plug is what I ultimately went to as a fix as well. The only down side I found is that the bass seems quieter... But maybe that's cause it was over powered to begin with?

ek1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Private
I finally got a chance to test it over the past few days. The drone is MUCH WORSE with this thing plugged in. With exhaust performance mode on, when you come off throttle and the engine RPM is around 1700-2000 and the trans is in a 3rd-5th gear, there is a SUPER LOUD drone that fills the entire cabin, especially with windows open. Basically, if you are driving in a slow moving traffic, the car in front of you starts slowing down and you lift, this is when the drone becomes basically deafening. It's really uncomfortable with performance exhaust on and just bearable (but still audible) with performance exhaust off.

I unplugged the cable and reverted everything back to stock, but now I feel like the drone is STILL louder than it was before I plugged the cable in.

This is so fucking annoying. Not sure what to do. No way I'm spending a few grand on putting in an aftermarket exhaust on a 6-month old Jeep.

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
It’s the 4 cylinder mode. It makes the exhaust drone horrible.

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
Sorry to hear it didn’t solve it for you. I agree the mds is the primary cause of the drone. However, in my situation, the sub was actually reverting when anc kicked in with mds (verified by sitting in the cargo area during a drive) which caused major low frequency noise. The other options are a Livernois tuner and/or a mds delete.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
It’s the 4 cylinder mode. It makes the exhaust drone horrible.
Not necessarily. Not going to deny the weird 4 cyl exhaust noise, but you can see if the 4 cyl has kicked in or not.

im trying to solve for the same issue I believe ek1 is. i have a 21 that when I put in off-road+ will disable the 4 cyl mode. So I can see it’s not kicking in. I get a horrible deep low noise when slowing down between 2200-1700 - like ear drum painful.

jury still out if this adapter has mitigated it (definitely not fully) but need to switch back and forth a bit.

Sponsored

Monturbo

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon 392
My 21 will use MDS in off-road plus. The drone and noise you get prior to mds will be there unless you tune or get a mds delete. Mine was being amplified by the sub. I’m not sure why this only happens to certain builds. I have a buddy with 2 392s. One has it one doesn’t.

dalema

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL392, Golf GTI
Mine is a Dec 21 - and won’t kick into mds with off-road+ (at least it’s not showing up on the screen). Helps in figuring out what’s going on. Going to switch it back to see.

jy86206

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Rubicon 392 Sarge Green
I finally got a chance to test it over the past few days. The drone is MUCH WORSE with this thing plugged in. With exhaust performance mode on, when you come off throttle and the engine RPM is around 1700-2000 and the trans is in a 3rd-5th gear, there is a SUPER LOUD drone that fills the entire cabin, especially with windows open. Basically, if you are driving in a slow moving traffic, the car in front of you starts slowing down and you lift, this is when the drone becomes basically deafening. It's really uncomfortable with performance exhaust on and just bearable (but still audible) with performance exhaust off.

I unplugged the cable and reverted everything back to stock, but now I feel like the drone is STILL louder than it was before I plugged the cable in.

This is so fucking annoying. Not sure what to do. No way I'm spending a few grand on putting in an aftermarket exhaust on a 6-month old Jeep.
I went the other way but same result. I learnt that unplugging the 2 ANC mics will bypass the ANC system, which looks like a fun Sunday job. So I played with the trim pieces around the ANC mics, unplugged the two, went to take care of the lawn, and took the wife for a test drive. Right on highway a rhythmic loud bass started hitting the cabin, I suddenly realized this is not right, and guessed I may need to remove the rest 2 ANC mics. So drove back in garage, spent another hour unplugging the rest 2, did another test drive, same bass hits... drove back in garage, spent another 1.5 hour replugging all the mics back, did the third test drive, my world is quiet, and my Sunday is gone. Now I see people can use a plug to bypass it, what a wonderful Sunday. I don't understand why the ANC works differently in people's 392, for me it seems to be a must-have.

Tank2112

First Name
Darryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 392XR, Custom Jeep LJ
The 392 has 4 ANC mics. Two in roll bar above front seats and two in rear ceiling above rear seats. I removed all 4 and it helped...because the sub woofer no longer produces a low frequency, (what ANC does) in attempt to offset factory drone from exhaust. Drone will happen around 2,100 rpms... whether you are in MDS 4-cylinder mode or not. With 2023 year model, you can lock out MDS mode by either entering Offroad+ mode or manual shifting (use paddle shifters or put in gear shifter in manual mode). Drone is more noticeable in Performance mode due to exhaust being louder. I first notice bad drone when offroading in low range with SOT open. I thought something was wrong... heard/felt a loud low frequency sound. It was more noticeable in Performance mode. Above and below around 2,100 rpm range drone goes away.
Removing the four mics is same as plugging in bypass device at factory amplifier.
What also helped drone in my 392 was installing Magnaflow's Street exhaust system. Magnaflow spent time with what they call NDT (No Drone Technology). NDT canisters are separate but included along with with Magnaflow's resonators....that replace factory resonators. In Performance mode, the Magnaflow Street system sounds more aggressive and has a deeper tone over factory exhaust. In Quiet mode, it's not much louder than factory system, in Quiet mode.
The combo of removing all 4 ANC mics and installing Magnaflow Street system removed any drone I had.
If you want to keep factory exhaust system, I'd suggest installing a Dynomat type product in rear and floors of Jeep to help reduce exhaust noise. I also plan on sound treating my Jeep to quieten road noise.

* SOT roof owners may also notice, while playing music, a loss of bass output from subwoofer when roof is in the fully open position. It's a factory safety built in to limit subwoofer volume. You can close roof slightly to regain full sub output.

Videos are example of Magnaflow Street exhaust system in Performance mode:

Cold start, then engine revs...

Last video is Performance mode to Quiet mode, at idle.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DayJ

DayJ

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL392XR
The only fix that I have found for us going into 4 cyl mode, which also triggers dumb sounds, is slapping the stick into manual mode when your cruising. It disables the "eco" mode.
Sponsored