DRL Puzzle…

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep JLU Sport S. Silver/Tan
I have a 2018 JLU Sport S that came without the daytime running lights but I added aftermarket DRLs in the fenders, which worked for a while and then stopped. I’ve also replaced the headlights with ones that have a DRL halo, these also worked for a while and then stopped.
Wiring is good, fuse is good (I’m using a fuse tap for both) and the lights will work but will no longer work the DRL function! I can’t explain it.
Any thoughts?
Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Wiring is good, fuse is good (I’m using a fuse tap for both) and the lights will work but will no longer work the DRL function! I can’t explain it.
Any thoughts?
What fuse did you tap into? How did you test your fuses? A simple visual inspection is not sufficient. Did you test both fuses in the fuse tap/s you used?

OP
OP
Yorkie3621

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What fuse did you tap into? How did you test your fuses? A simple visual inspection is not sufficient. Did you test both fuses in the fuse tap/s you used?
I just cut the wire leading to the fuse tap and connecting it straight to the battery and it lit up.

I'm tapping into the 96 fuse (power mirror SW) and I'm wondering, could it have anything to do with my having the roof and doors off? Maybe it cuts that circuit if the doors are removed? Thanks for your help.
Is there a better fuse?

DavidArmen

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
I just cut the wire leading to the fuse tap and connecting it straight to the battery and it lit up.

I'm tapping into the 96 fuse (power mirror SW) and I'm wondering, could it have anything to do with my having the roof and doors off? Maybe it cuts that circuit if the doors are removed? Thanks for your help.
Is there a better fuse?
It’s indeed likely once the doors are off the mirror motor circuit is turned off. Fortunately it’s very easy to test. As for using a better fuse, use the ones for the cigar lighters or some other circuit that is always on with ignition.

OP
OP
Yorkie3621

Yorkie3621

First Name
stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Than
It’s indeed likely once the doors are off the mirror motor circuit is turned off. Fortunately it’s very easy to test. As for using a better fuse, use the ones for the cigar lighters or some other circuit that is always on with ignition.
Thank you.

Sponsored

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

I'm tapping into the 96 fuse (power mirror SW) and I'm wondering, could it have anything to do with my having the roof and doors off?
I wouldn't use that fuse.

Most use F52 (CIGAR LTR) or F57 (Frt Drvr Htd Seat) or F58 (Frt Pass Htd Seat).

I used F52 for my lights.

SoCal

First Name
MARK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR, 981 Porsche Cayman S, BMW F32, Lexus is250

Is there a better fuse?
Tap into fuse 52 (cigar lighter)will work as soon as you start ignition and shut off as soon as you shut it off with no issues

jmccorm

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Systems Engineering
Can anyone help out with an aftermarket Jeep Wrangler DRL puzzle that's even more entangled than anything OP is facing?

Jeep Wrangler JL DRL Puzzle… 1642895848064

I'm looking at all of this and I'm just not so sure what my first move should be. Should I be doing something with fuse taps? Help me, JL Wrangler Forum!
Sponsored