Driving your new electric assist jeep in water

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
So has any one drove there 2 liter jeep in a river or creek? Is the low mount point for a 48 volt system a issue while you are sitting in 4 feet of water? I would never do it with any vehicle, but know some would, so just curious how well this system will hold up in very wet terrain.
Sponsored

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
The 2.0L turbo 48v battery and its metal cage sit above the ladder frame underneath the left rear corner in front of the rear axle. The cooling lines are tucked in above and along the frame as well. Here are some things that are of greater risk of damage from impact :

1. That large gasoline tank sitting on the other side of the driveshaft reaches 2 inches further down to the ground than the 48v battery.

2. The exhaust resonator just in front of the 48v battery reaches about 1 inch further to the ground.

3. The rear axle and pumpkin are a good foot or so towards the ground.

As far as water penetration, one would assume all electrical lines use waterproofing connector seals and the 48v battery itself is in a waterproof casing. From impact alone, if you manage to damage the 48v battery you are more likely going to be damaging a lot of other stuff before that happens. For water submersion, i have little doubt engineers would use waterproofing components.

OP
OP

FWB FL

First Name
LArry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL unlimited
The biggest thing I was thinking about is how waterproof is the 48 volt system being mounted so low??

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
The biggest thing I was thinking about is how waterproof is the 48 volt system being mounted so low??
It will be waterproof enough to do 30" of fording depth just like the V6. Any higher than that you risk splashing water into the intake so the danger there would be drowning the engine before you damage the electrical components.

This is without a legitimate snorkel.

Last edited:

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
IP 67 connectors/cabling/terminals/etc aren't some exotic unobtainable technology. It's typically just a little O-ring on the connector. Boom, submersible to 1m.
Sponsored