Sponsored

Driving your JL with a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon)

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
My JL hasn't arrived yet - I am likely 3 weeks or so out.

But, anyone have their JL and carry concealed?

Curious to know if anyone has a holster in their vehicle, and what they use.

I know some decide just to keep it holstered on their body. Unless you can open carry, that tends to delay your response time in a crucial situation warranting drawing said weapon.

I have used a heavy magnetic mount in previous vehicles to keep the gun in the driver's cockpit against the right side of the center console by my right knee. I don't know if this will work with the JL as I haven't seen one in person yet.

There isn't an airbag under the steering wheel on the JL, right? My past vehicles have had an airbag there which has limited putting the gun in a holster there. This might be a good place on the JL.

Any thoughts on this topic? Pictures of your setup?
Sponsored

YOKiN

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'65 Impala SS, BMW X5M, 2018 Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Military
Vehicle Showcase
I usually keep it on my person or around the same location as yours but I'm also interested to see what other people's setups are.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
Usually on my person, but on a related topic I had the under the driver's seat safe mounted in my 12 JKU and loved it. I left it in at trade-in knowing there's no way it would have fit with the new seats. Having looked under the driver's seat, I'm not sure one will be made to fit, there's not a lie of room under there. But under the rear seat(s) definitely looks like an option. I hope a company is able to come up with something. I miss my safe.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
Usually on my person, but on a related topic I had the under the driver's seat safe mounted in my 12 JKU and loved it. I left it in at trade-in knowing there's no way it would have fit with the new seats. Having looked under the driver's seat, I'm not sure one will be made to fit, there's not a lie of room under there. But under the rear seat(s) definitely looks like an option. I hope a company is able to come up with something. I miss my safe.
My JK has that safe, too, and it is GREAT. No way they can do it with the JL. That said, I only use that safe to store it when I'm parked. Otherwise, it is on my hip. I've practiced drawing, a lot. I don't think there is but a small delay compared to drawing when standing. I use an inside the waistband kydex holster on either my Glock 17 or 43. The 43 is more comfortable for driving and a bit quicker to draw.

Dynomite1371

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, Granite, Steel bumper, Safety, Cold Weather, Tow package, Premium Alpine, Black Leather and Mopar "self draining" Mats
Occupation
Police Officer
My JK has that safe, too, and it is GREAT. No way they can do it with the JL. That said, I only use that safe to store it when I'm parked. Otherwise, it is on my hip. I've practiced drawing, a lot. I don't think there is but a small delay compared to drawing when standing. I use an inside the waistband kydex holster on either my Glock 17 or 43. The 43 is more comfortable for driving and a bit quicker to draw.
The G-43 in my opinion is one of the best compact 9mm's ever made. (I'm a Firearms Instructor with a major PD) and it's the "off duty" weapon of choice on my police department. I shoot a lot of them and it's very good! Zero stoppages and crazy accurate!

Sponsored

Fred

First Name
Fred
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 2 door Rubicon X in Anvil
I carry my S&W shield IWB appendix and the only time it comes off me is when I am competing ) IDPA and USPSA) at a cold range and then it is in the console or glove compartment.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
The G-43 in my opinion is one of the best compact 9mm's ever made. (I'm a Firearms Instructor with a major PD) and it's the "off duty" weapon of choice on my police department. I shoot a lot of them and it's very good! Zero stoppages and crazy accurate!
Yep, it shoots beautifully and carries even better. I don't even know it is there, even when driving. I put Truglo TFX sights on it, which are great at night and even better in the day. Love that little gun! I've got a couple 12 round ETS magazines so I can shoot steel competition with it. What a hoot that thing is! I also put rubberized Talon grips on it. No doubt it is my favorite carry gun.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
I shoot lefty, am 6'2", and appendix carry. I have to remove it from my person when in any vehicle. I don't like it pressing into the seat behind me. I am interested to see any vehicle mounts you guys do.

Springtail

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1977 FJ40, (RestoMod), 2018 Camaro SS Convertible, 2020 Tesla Model Y Performance
Occupation
Co-Owner Springtail LLC
I usually carry a Glock 26 in a pocket holster (works perfectly for the slash pockets in my 5.11 pants). Upon entry to my Jeep (or any other vehicle for that matter), I slide the gun/holster between the drivers seat and center console. It is easy to access if needed or to transfer back to my pants on exit from the vehicle. Also, it is easily accessible to transfer into the center console if I get pulled over.....just my preference of not wanting to get shot by some nervous cop who might spy a gun at my side.

My opinion on the Glock 43 is while it is a fine gun....the 26 offers more standard capacity for a similar sized package and can willingly take magazines from my 19, 17 or even a happy stick. While I'm sure ETS magazines are OK....I would not trust my life to any magazine other than one manufactured by Glock. The $10 savings is not worth it.

Doc

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My carry is either a Taurus 709 Slim or the Kel-Tec P-32 depending on wear and weight. never leaves my person except to sleep. bathe, swim, or prohibited by law. And then it is in the center console waiting me to come back.

Sponsored

Indio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1998 Jeep TJ, 1985 Jeep CJ-7, 1972 Series III Land Rover
Occupation
Procrastinator
My carry is either a Taurus 709 Slim or the Kel-Tec P-32 depending on wear and weight. never leaves my person except to sleep. bathe, swim, or prohibited by law. And then it is in the center console waiting me to come back.
Man if I needed that kind of 24 hour armed protection I'd relocate to a better zip code!

PaPasJP

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Man if I needed that kind of 24 hour armed protection I'd relocate to a better zip code!
That is funny as you are in Chicago. LOL

Why have it if you aren't going to carry?

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
I wouldn't ever claim to tell anyone else how to live their life, but I know so many guys that carry 24/7 "for protection", but smoke, drive an old vehicle (without airbags), and eat unhealthy garbage. If they legitimately cared about "protecting" themselves, they'd maybe rectify those other lifestyle choices that are each statistically at least six orders of magnitude more likely to kill them than a random armed gunman.

Then again, we all make wholly irrational choices, and then bend over backwards trying to justify them to others. It's just more fun when we're self-aware enough to realize what idiots we are :jk:

JDMRN81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKU, 2018 GC Altitude
Occupation
RN, doctoral student
Carry my M&P Shield IWB @ 4 o'clock position at all times while in vehicle. I just like having it secured and yet readily available on my person.

Rosco P

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeepless at the moment.
VP9T or G19.
Like a condom, I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
Sponsored