Sponsored

Driving your JL with a CCW (Concealed Carry Weapon)

Armycop

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Wrangler, 2010 Camaro SS, 2017 Passat R-Line
With the new integrated roll bar I’m hoping the Mopar catalog will be offering a roll bar mounted turret for an M60 machine gun. When it comes to personal protection I’d rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it. If Jeep is truly listening to its customers they’ll offer Jeep branded ammo cans for the belt feed.
Now that it's easier to lower the windshield, you can just leave the wipers and windshield bolts off, drop the windshield and use a tripod off the hood...
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
In a lot of states it can't be in plain view in your vehicle so having a mounted holster is illegal. I usually keep my FNX-45 Tactical in my hip and my short barreled suppressed .300BO carbine under the rear seat. it's easier to get to than my pistol if I'm in the driver seat.

Troybilt

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Website
troynemitz.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2012 JK Sport
Occupation
Highway Dept
In a lot of states it can't be in plain view in your vehicle so having a mounted holster is illegal. I usually keep my FNX-45 Tactical in my hip and my short barreled suppressed .300BO carbine under the rear seat. it's easier to get to than my pistol if I'm in the driver seat.
In my state even if it is in plain view in a vehicle / motorcycle it is considered concealed and therefore you must have a permission slip from the government:facepalm: . Up until a few years ago if your magazine could hold more than 22 round it made your gun a automatic :cwl:

PopsJeep

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford F150 Supercrew 4x4
I carry my S&W shield IWB appendix and the only time it comes off me is when I am competing ) IDPA and USPSA) at a cold range and then it is in the console or glove compartment.
I carry the Shield also, appendix style in a kydex holster. It's a great EDC gun.

DanW

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR, 18JLUR, 08JKUR, 15 Renegade, 04 WJ
Vehicle Showcase
I carry the Shield also, appendix style in a kydex holster. It's a great EDC gun.
The Shield is a really nice gun. If I wasn't so comfortable with the G43, I'd most likely carry a Shield.

Sponsored

obiwankabaldi

First Name
Lew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL
A magnetic holder is not a very good idea. In an accident it becomes a missal and no idea as to where it may end up. My suggestion is to carry on body at all times and if you need to leave it in the vehicle for any reason it needs to be in a safe of some kind. I am buying the new JL very soon and on my list of first things to upgrade is an under the seat safe. Or Console safe. A MUST HAVE......

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
A magnetic holder is not a very good idea. In an accident it becomes a missal and no idea as to where it may end up. My suggestion is to carry on body at all times and if you need to leave it in the vehicle for any reason it needs to be in a safe of some kind. I am buying the new JL very soon and on my list of first things to upgrade is an under the seat safe. Or Console safe. A MUST HAVE......
It wouldn't be permanently inside the car. Just while driving. It'll go back on my body when exiting the vehicle.

I agree on the magnetic mount - I will likely do a kydex under the steering wheel holster. Driving with the gun on your hip up against the seat belt buckle is not only uncomfortable, but it obstructs your ability to draw.

GRAK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubi, Corvette
Clubs

the sub steering column/between legs mount freaks me out in terms of an officer pulling me over for a minor traffic infraction or something and the weapon being so close & accessible. some twitchy nervous rookie cop would probably blow me away.

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
the sub steering column/between legs mount freaks me out in terms of an officer pulling me over for a minor traffic infraction or something and the weapon being so close & accessible. some twitchy nervous rookie cop would probably blow me away.
I don't have my JL, but if that area is like any other car - it shouldn't be visible from a standing position alongside the vehicle.

You'd obviously notify the officer right off the bat that you have a concealed weapon on you. If he pulls you out of the car, then so be it. You obviously keep your hands on the top of the steering wheel and follow instruction.

Sponsored

OP
OP
simpleJL

simpleJL

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR
I just looked at some pictures of the dash. Under the steering wheel is pretty vertical. Hrmmm...

Maybe I will do something like mentioned with the Molle straps on the back of the passenger seat. A bit of practice drawing from there and it should work. And it'd be fairly concealed even if someone was standing at the driver's side door. I'll have my windows fairly dark tinted in the back.

Swanny297

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL
In Louisiana your vehicle is an extension of your home so you don’t need a CCL to carry in a vehicle. Currently in my truck I keep my Glock in a Gumcreek holster, don’t have the Jeep yet so not sure if it will work or not. When I am outside the truck I carry a shield.

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/

Jeep4Life

First Name
Cyndi
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
My Cherokee has a nice little cubby inside the passenger seat I use for my Beretta when on long trips. I kinda wished they would have included that in the JL.

Quasimodo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara, 2016 Jeep Cherokee
When I carry, I always keep it (G19) on my person. Having said that, I will likely look for a safe of some sort for those range days that my friends and I inevitably hit up the pub after hitting all the bad guy paper targets. Guns and alcohol don't mix in my book.
Sponsored