Driving Thru NYC with MT advice

bonniejf

First Name
Bonnie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL
I'm driving from Alabama to Maine in my Jeep soon. I have a manual transmission. I'd like to get close enough to NYC to see the skyline but I don't want to be in any major traffic (especially stop and go traffic). I'm a perfectly capable driver... I've also experienced NYC traffic in cabs and vans from LGA into the city before and it was a whole other level beyond what I've driven in in Atlanta or Houston and I want to enjoy this trip and not be stressed out. This will be before lunch on a Sunday morning. Does anyone have a route recommendation? Or should I just go up and around NYC and avoid it all together? Thanks!
Sponsored

Wbino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
Do you want to have lunch or just drive by?

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@bonniejf

Well, if you were my Daughter or one of my Sons, I would say form Alabama take I95 all the way to Maine. Lots more to see on I95 as you make the trip..... Look to the left and you will see the Washington Monument when you near DC, you'll see skylines of a few major cities enroute to include NYC.

I do I95 from Florida and your neck of the woods quite often and have done so for many years.

You do NOT, again do not want to get into NYC....

Even now, the Interstates to include I95 are quite busy daytime most daytime hours.

When you are making your journey, leave out of your motel so you do not hit the Washington DC area during morning or evening rush hours or at lunch time.

Also, I usually do either Alabama to Upstate NY or Alabama to RI or Alabama to Maine non-stop... just stop to pee and get gas...

Doing this is not recommended for you... DO break up your trip with at least one night in a Motel.

Consider stopping in Fayetteville, NC for your overnight and then drive the rest straight through. That will see you driving say 9 hrs. on day one and 15 hrs. on day to. IF you don't deal well with the hours driving take an additional day. I recommend Fayetteville as frrst stop as room rates are aok and there are decent/safe low cost motels there.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Unlimited Sport Altitude
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

@bonniejf ,

I agree with @Rhinebeck01. Take I95. You'll have plenty to see on the way. Do expect some traffic along the way. It's unavoidable on I95 nowadays, especially as you get close to NJ and NY.

You have a couple of different options as you head up I95 from Delaware into New Jersey. You can stay on I95 and pass through Wilmington and Philadelphia. Or I95 will split and you can take I295 over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ and the NJ Turnpike. The NJ Turnpike will become I95 again as you head north toward NY.

I95 will then take you over the George Washington Bridge into upper Manhattan and the Bronx and will become the New England Thruway followed by the Connecticut Turnpike. You'll likely hit traffic here, depending on the time of day. It's no worse than traffic anywhere else.

Pay attention to the speed limit, as it changes from state to state and even within state. Be careful near the Delaware Memorial Bridge. State Troopers like to hang out on both sides and clock traffic coming over the bridge. Since you're looking for an enjoyable ride, I also suggest staying out of the left lane unless absolutely necessary to pass. No matter how fast you go, you'll always wind up with someone wanting to go faster in the left lane on I95.

Hope this helps. Reply back here or send me a PM if you need any more info, etc.

Enjoy your trip!!!

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bonniejf ,

I agree with @Rhinebeck01. Take I95. You'll have plenty to see on the way. Do expect some traffic along the way. It's unavoidable on I95 nowadays, especially as you get close to NJ and NY.

You have a couple of different options as you head up I95 from Delaware into New Jersey. You can stay on I95 and pass through Wilmington and Philadelphia. Or I95 will split and you can take I295 over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ and the NJ Turnpike. The NJ Turnpike will become I95 again as you head north toward NY.

I95 will then take you over the George Washington Bridge into upper Manhattan and the Bronx and will become the New England Thruway followed by the Connecticut Turnpike. You'll likely hit traffic here, depending on the time of day. It's no worse than traffic anywhere else.

Pay attention to the speed limit, as it changes from state to state and even within state. Be careful near the Delaware Memorial Bridge. State Troopers like to hang out on both sides and clock traffic coming over the bridge. Since you're looking for an enjoyable ride, I also suggest staying out of the left lane unless absolutely necessary to pass. No matter how fast you go, you'll always wind up with someone wanting to go faster in the left lane on I95.

Hope this helps. Reply back here or send me a PM if you need any more info, etc.

Enjoy your trip!!!
Thanks for mentioning that.....

OP, should......... go / take I295 over the Delaware Memorial Bridge into NJ and the NJ Turnpike. The NJ Turnpike will become I95 again as you head north toward NY.

She can add Newark Liberty Airport (EWR) as a added destination and that will have her GPS going this route over the Delaware Memorial Bridge, etc..

Also, do NOT let you gas tank get below a half tank during the trip. Stop say every 2 hrs., get gas and pee... 8-) You do not want to get into the Washington DC area especially with little gas in the tank.

Carry your 2nd fob with you... Consider getting a Faraday Bag to keep it in.

csjlu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
1. Getting your hands on an EZ Pass would make your life a whole lot easier traffic-wise. I'm not sure if you have an equivalent RF toll reader where you are coming from.

2. If you don't want to actually go into the city, the Gold Coast of NJ offers some stunning views. You can get close to the Hudson River between Jersey City up to Edgewater, and it gets you to the George Washington Bridge. The Palisades cliffs also offer great views, but you would cross over on the Cuomo Bridge.

3. You are close enough that the the US Military Academy at West Point could be worth the detour. Stunning.

Tip: you can't pump your own gas in NJ...full service only.

I'm a Dores and Vols fan, but I'll give you the Jeep wave regardless when you eventually drive thru.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

1. Getting your hands on an EZ Pass would make your life a whole lot easier traffic-wise. I'm not sure if you have an equivalent RF toll reader where you are coming from.
Good point, but not a necessity. Most, if not all, states now have cashless tolling. If you do not have E-ZPass, an image of your license plate is captured and a Toll Bill is mailed to the registered owner’s address on file with DMV.

Oncorhynchus

First Name
Moishe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Sting Gray 3.6L
You’ll be best served by staying on I95 like Rhinebeck01 suggested. Even that ain’t gonna be a picnic of a drive. Be mentally prepared to run into stop and go traffic at any time.

I was headed down from lower Manhattan to Philly one Friday evening and sat for 2 hours in traffic one block away from the Holland Tunnel. Two of the people in the car with me walked off to have dinner and by the time they came back I had moved 50 feet.

If you’re feeling stressed when you hit traffic near the Hudson River, pull out the sandwich and beer from your icebox and head over to a park:

https://njspots.com/best-new-york-city-overlooks/

YenBoon

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 2.0T
NYC will be the emptiest on a Sunday before lunchtime. That being said, the traffic almost always sucks and it feels even worse now that restrictions are being lifted. IDK if we've been spoiled with almost empty roads during the pandemic that caused this feeling but it seems like traffic is worse than ever lol.

Sponsored

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@bonniejf

Do use Google Maps say with Android Auto or Car Play and not the JL's Nav...

Also, yeah even with you being a gal.....DO carry a roll of toil paper with you... Gal or not, if you need to just find a far off corner and do your deed.... One of the reasons for 2 hr. or so gas stops as sometimes traffic jams can have you held up for an hour +-.

Do bring masks..
Most truck stops, etc. do not require masks right now but.... On I95, I stop at LOVE's Truck Stops as their prices are ok, bathrooms are clean, etc.

Also carry lots of paper towels and a container of glass cleaner with you...

I just made the I95 trip a few days ago... will be doing so again in the next couple of weeks.

Jolly’s Jp

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR on 37s
If you drive I-95, watch out when you cross into Virginia. There is a small town called Emporia…it is a giant speed trap 5 miles before and after.

Im not a big fan of Fayetteville or Rocky Mount either. Would pick another place to stay.

jludave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
IT Manager
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

bigbaozi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Sport S
Always took people to Hamilton Park in Weehawken to see the skyline, great view, parking can be a bit fun sometimes. To hell with taking a car into Manhattan though. Hoboken and Jersey City have some decent spots too.

You can take PATH or NJ Transit busses into the city.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you drive I-95, watch out when you cross into Virginia. There is a small town called Emporia…it is a giant speed trap 5 miles before and after.

Im not a big fan of Fayetteville or Rocky Mount either. Would pick another place to stay.
Fayetteville is ok, motel wise but yes.... you have to be picky and be careful... be careful everywhere you stay/anywhere... especially these days..
Sponsored