Sponsored

Driving through high water - Imelda related

OK_Sooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
So Thursday I got stuck at work and had to drive about 20 miles home right as Imelda was pounding Houston. Had to take back roads and much of the drive in my 2019 stock JLUR was through flooded streets. Was extremely happy to have my Jeep on that drive and didn’t really have any issues getting through the high water, but there were some areas where the water, or wakes from trucks driving by, got up there pretty high. Is there anything I need to check to make sure nothing was damaged by the high water? I assumed everything is pretty much water proof up to the air intake, but really have no idea. Jeep seems to be driving and operating fine so far. Lots of flooded cars on the drive but the Rubicon performed like a champ.
Sponsored

OP
OP
OK_Sooner

OK_Sooner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Unlimited Rubicon
Maybe slightly above the rock rails? I’m thinking it’s fine but have never gone through that high of water so just want to be sure.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
So Thursday I got stuck at work and had to drive about 20 miles home right as Imelda was pounding Houston. Had to take back roads and much of the drive in my 2019 stock JLUR was through flooded streets. Was extremely happy to have my Jeep on that drive and didn’t really have any issues getting through the high water, but there were some areas where the water, or wakes from trucks driving by, got up there pretty high. Is there anything I need to check to make sure nothing was damaged by the high water? I assumed everything is pretty much water proof up to the air intake, but really have no idea. Jeep seems to be driving and operating fine so far. Lots of flooded cars on the drive but the Rubicon performed like a champ.
You'll probably want to check your differential fluid and change if needed.

Carlton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps lots of jeeps
Maybe slightly above the rock rails? I’m thinking it’s fine but have never gone through that high of water so just want to be sure.
As another member mentioned, the differentials can take in water. However, this is highly unlikely if the water was at the height that you state.

Sponsored

firemk

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S (Punk'n)
I think that Jeep says 30 inches for fording. I think that the tag on the interior of the rear cargo door also has that info.

jeepingib

First Name
Dusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' JLUR Punk'n
Occupation
Mechanic
At that height you should be okay. Bottom of the door hinge and up you should be more concerned. It wouldn't hurt to do the check on your diffs though. Might even check out the xsfer case fluid if you are so inclined. If anything looks like it has milk in it, then it should be changed.

Maverick909

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sporticon, 1976 GMC K15 Lifted on 35's
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Electrician/ Industrial Furnace MFG
Clubs

30” is the line from Jeep for water height. It the diffs have a one way bent valve that could fail. Best way to check. Open the filling plug on the diffs after driving around the block to move the oil around. Use the clear straw and finger method to see if the oil is white. If it is change it if it’s not then your good