Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
What is snow?

In socal, winter is really terrible. A tragedy. The most notable negative effect is that pretty girls wear more clothes. I think a government study on what can be done about this is needed.

DSCF2728.jpg
Yeah, I lived in LA for 20 years. My favorite time of year was between October and March: the weather is nice; not too hot...and all the tourists are gone.

A weekend in Santa Barbara was $400/night in summer; the same hotel would be $150/night during off season. And the weather was just perfect...
Sponsored

OP
OP
m3reno

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
It had just snowed and the terrain was level. Went in about 10' and thats has far as she went. I have the Michelin LTV tires, I know highway tires, but I thought it would fair much better than that. 15 minutes prior to me getting stuck I purchased a collapsible shovel at a gas station and my thoughts was that maybe I can help a poor soul stuck on the road!! Never thought it would be me!!

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
In all the off-roading I’ve done over the years, I always found snow the least predictable.

No LSD, tire tread, PSI, outside temperature, depth of snow, driver skill, all are contributing factors when getting stuck in snow.

You can have two Jeeps on the same trail: the Jeep in front gets through and the one behind gets stuck. The only difference is that the first Jeep is driving in cold snow; the one behind has to deal with partly melted, sticky snow.

The closer the temperature is to 32ºF/0ºC, the easier it is to get stuck. The colder it gets, the drier snow becomes and the easier it is to drive in it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 59098

You definitely can, but sometimes there’s ice underneath a spot and that could get you stuck or spin out. Usually when there’s that much snow it’s hard to make out the difference between road and ditch.

Sponsored

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
i have a 2d sport running the stock tires. for the most part i can get thru the snow with out any problems. the last couple of snow storms the roads been pretty shitty due to lack of it being plowed. the last storm dumped 2 feet of snow and i did get stuck on the end of the driveway. stuck meaning hung up at the front axle. and the snow is heavier. other than that the jeep does pretty good in 4hi.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
It's the tires and type of snow. Your best bet is running dedicated winter tires. Aside from getting hung up or high centered dedicated winter tires make all the difference in the world. I have a Rubicon with KO2s. They are winter rated and have the mountain/snowflake symbols. The K02s are even a compromise. They are OK but nothing like a dedicated winter snow tire.

Last edited:

Orangecrush9

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Nacho Willys JLU
Well, my profile pic tells a small part of the story, but picked up a brand new 21 Willys JLU on 1/26. Within a week, we did get 2 feet of snow and the Willys handled it like it was nothing on my way to do some snowboarding. Was mainly a heavier, wet snow that accumulated quickly, but I was driving through the worst of it (nearly 2" an hour) without any issue whatsoever. At worst, was driving through 1.5 feet of snow in unplowed areas and as long as I kept it relatively slow, I moved through the powder with ease. Had once in a parked position where tires spun a little so just threw it into 4H and problem solved.

Last edited:
OP
OP
m3reno

m3reno

First Name
Sal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLU
I never had an issue with the jeep driving through a foot of snow, but this time I was lazy and didn't want to move the car in front of me in my driveway and thought I could just drive around it

Sponsored

Chrysler-Factory-Warranty

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Mopar Warranty
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.chrysler-factory-warranty.com
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee
Occupation
Warranty Sales
Only one way to find out!

Tangokilo

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1972 Oldsmobile 442, 2001 4runner, 2010 Honda Accord V6 Coupe, 2011 VW Golf, 1969 Triump T100 MC and 2018 JLU Sport S
Up to the center of the wheels or 18 inches is doable if you have contact with something to get traction with underneath. But once the bottom of the vehicle beaches itself on deep snow your done. Even snow mobiles will get stuck in really deep snow. Btw the toyo open countrys do really well in 3 to 6 inches. More slippery on ice than standard ATs though. Thats a 2 ft high drift behind the jeep in the picture. You could bust through it into the field behind it and keep moving. But if the whole field was 2 ft... i dont think you would go far. You would need more lift and bigger tires. A hemi would help... Tom

20210201_172148.jpg

Deviant

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Rubicon
My JL Rubicon is far and away the worst "four wheel drive" vehicle I've ever driven in the snow, no exaggeration, It's terrible. My xDrive 4 series BMW does better.

I used to routinely drive through 2 feet of snow, or more, in my 4Runner and it never had any issues. I'd drive through this field to make a path so I could walk the dog. My JL would not have made it six feet in even half that much snow - I tried.
Jeep Wrangler JL Driving through 2 feet of snow 2013-01-11 19.56.26

Dog stands about 2' at the shoulder.

geem03

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Occupation
RN/ Firefighter
Vehicle Showcase
This is what breaking trail and driving in over a foot of fluffy snow looks like.... this was last Monday going to work!!!
20210208_044421.jpg

Handled great!!! Under the snow there was even a sheet of ice and in 4WD, no issues!!!

Love my 2D!!! (Shoulda gotten a jeep a long time ago!)
Sponsored