imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Um...You can use the engine to recharge the battery. There's no hybrid or EV on earth that can fully charge its battery solely through regeneration. That would break the laws of thermodynamics.
I'm not sure you can? From what the dealer and even the posts above stated that the battery will drain all the way to 1%. IF that is the case, why plug it in when it should charge the batteries while driving. that is why allot of auto makers will add another generator through the transmission to the to assist with this. or modify the current alternator to output to a separate terminal bank to charge the batteries. Maybe Jeep figured there was not enough room to do this? not sure, but there are PLENTY of Hybrids out there that DO Not need to be plugged in.
Sponsored

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase
I can't parse that 28.5 MPG into anything useful. If the Jeep is reporting 28.5 MPG with only 68 miles (or less) using the ICE then that is absolutely balls out abysmal mileage, under 10 MPG actual when the ICE is running. That can't possibly be right.
we need to see how much fuel was used. if they used 2.5 gallons of fuel, and traveled a total of 293 miles I think that's awesome. it will be difficult to get the ICE efficiency without more data points, but to me this seems pretty good considering you have the HP and TQ that is available.

jrm390

First Name
Jayson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 F250
I can't parse that 28.5 MPG into anything useful. If the Jeep is reporting 28.5 MPG with only 68 miles (or less) using the ICE then that is absolutely balls out abysmal mileage, under 10 MPG actual when the ICE is running. That can't possibly be right.
My thoughts exactly. Was hoping Newbie might report fuel usage.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I thought part of the difficulty with reporting effective MPG was that the MPG doesn't register unless the ICE is on, meaning you aren't seeing the effective MPG from the times you're on electric only?

Sponsored

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
So I was truley on the fence with buying this model. To me there was only one reason not to buy it, and for me it was the biggest. I dont understand why Jeep did not make the Regen "Fully" regen the battery. I mean it will help it stay up on charge a little longer under Max regen, but, not like the other hybrids out there. I DID NOT want to plug in the JEEP. So for me it was a deal breaker. I just decided to get the Eco diesel instead.

Well said. If you don’t have to plug in your vehicle, you should probably stay away from Plug-In Hybrid Vehicles.

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
Im still baffled by the lack of actual performance reviews with recorded times, mpg etc. Or a dyno run to see real what it's putting to the wheels vs the others
I'll try to get a video of 0-60 tomorrow but I just nearly floored it on my street in E-save mode and both my 13yro and I commented about the acceleration being very noticeable. Felt like a small delay but faster than a usual turbo build up.

Note also that this is my first JL. I've rented them before and test drove a bunch of Gladiators and my 4xe is definitely quicker. I'm used to driving a Q5 with a 3.0T and a Durango RT with the Hemi.

I don't have any sophisticated testing devices so a simple video recording where we can measure time from 0-60 will need to suffice.

blueweb

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 TJ Rubicon, '22 4xe Rubicon
I'll try to get a video of 0-60 tomorrow but I just nearly floored it on my street in E-save mode and both my 13yro and I commented about the acceleration being very noticeable. Felt like a small delay but faster than a usual turbo build up.
Have you already broken in the 2.0T engine yet?

Cine4XE

First Name
Nelson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xE Rubicon
Yes, you can charge the battery while driving in E-Save (just using the ICE)mode. The manual says it takes about 2.5hours to fully charge the battery in this option. There are also 2 modes in the E-save mode, 1 just keeps the state of charge the way it is, the other option is to charge the battery. But you can't fully charge the battery while using the battery to drive. Max Regen helps to prolong the battery while driving, but you'll never be able to get the battery to 100% while using the battery.

I'm not sure you can? From what the dealer and even the posts above stated that the battery will drain all the way to 1%. IF that is the case, why plug it in when it should charge the batteries while driving. that is why allot of auto makers will add another generator through the transmission to the to assist with this. or modify the current alternator to output to a separate terminal bank to charge the batteries. Maybe Jeep figured there was not enough room to do this? not sure, but there are PLENTY of Hybrids out there that DO Not need to be plugged in.

Cypher

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Eco-Diesel now. 18, 19, 20 JLUR 3.6 old.
Occupation
Cybersecurity Leader
Vehicle Showcase

Note also that this is my first JL. I've rented them before and test drove a bunch of Gladiators and my 4xe is definitely quicker. I'm used to driving a Q5 with a 3.0T and a Durango RT with the Hemi.

I don't have any sophisticated testing devices so a simple video recording where we can measure time from 0-60 will need to suffice.
If your not broken in yet, no need for any extra strain on the engine until then. how do you like it compared to your q5?

when you get a chance, can you see what steering knuckles are on the 4xe and what steering box it has? i hoping it has the new steel steering box, and steel knuckles from the gladiator. (since the axles are pretty much carry over from gladiator max tow rubicon).

i'm pretty sure i am going with the 4xe over the eco-diesel after some more research today, so once the new order guide is out I hope to get my order in.

Sponsored

DaveN

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Ram 2500
Oh, well that DC to AC power inverter is 115 volt at 150 Watts, with built-in overload protection. But you really should not have anything plugged into it while the engine is off for an extended period of time. Or the vehicle's 12-volt battery will discharge sufficiently to the point of degrading battery life and/or prevent the engine from starting again.
Bummer. I was hoping the AC power would be drawn off the EV battery and not the starter battery, have a decent output, and have an automatic shutoff so as not to drain the EV battery too low. The reason is that it would be a great feature for camping. Pull a nice small trailer and plug in your 4xe to the trailer at night. Oh well, I've lived this long without abundant power when camping, I can keep camping the same way.

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
Have you already broken in the 2.0T engine yet?
It's north of 300 miles and I ran it almost exclusively in esave mode to force the 2.0 to run

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
If your not broken in yet, no need for any extra strain on the engine until then. how do you like it compared to your q5?

when you get a chance, can you see what steering knuckles are on the 4xe and what steering box it has? i hoping it has the new steel steering box, and steel knuckles from the gladiator. (since the axles are pretty much carry over from gladiator max tow rubicon).

i'm pretty sure i am going with the 4xe over the eco-diesel after some more research today, so once the new order guide is out I hope to get my order in.
I'll drive both the 4xe and Q5 tomorrow. Already forgot what the Q5 is like....

On the steering stuff, I'll look when my wife gets home with it. Not exactly sure what I am looking for but I have a good idea.

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
From what I understand, with the Tesla to J1772 adapter, available on Amazon, you could charge from the Tesla branded chargers.
Cool. I was told there was no such adapter, but they may have been this king super charger. Do you have a link to purchase the adapter? Our local station has 2 Tesla and only 1 SAE plugs.

Found it. For $180, I'll pass.

Last edited:

HungryHound

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1975 CJ-5, 1983 CJ-5, 1998 TJ, 2021 JLURe
Thanks for this! Hopefully Tazer will address the non-latching max regen button.
Sponsored