Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
I assumed it was a figure of speech.
From what I understand, with the Tesla to J1772 adapter, available on Amazon, you could charge from the Tesla branded chargers.
Sponsored

DocNau

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU 4xe
I ordered 82215203AE. That does look like a different model than what they say I should get on the mopar website - SKU:82215200AC. While the pic looks the same, I’m guessing it’s different. The point is still relevant in some ways - the standard JL mats won’t work and you’ll need 4xe specific mats it looks like.

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
- When Max Regen is on, letting off the gas fully will engage the brake lights automatically. Cool feature as it does slow you down fairly significantly and your back end wouldn’t last for long without it. I tested this in DC traffic, it works, well.
Great post and agree with all of your comments. Got my Rubi yesterday. I can confirm the brake lights to come on automatically but there is a delay. Haven't been able to determine if it's based on time, speed, or something else but it's about 1-2 seconds before the brake lights come on.

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
From what I understand, with the Tesla to J1772 adapter, available on Amazon, you could charge from the Tesla branded chargers.
Affirmative but I don't think we can use the Tesla Superchargers even with the adapter.

Sponsored

360linux

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler 4xe Rubicon
Is this the right one for Tesla to J1772 charging? Not that I plan on regularly sitting for just over 2 hours but we have about 8 Tesla super chargers less than two miles from the house so it’s not out of the question I would use them if I could from time to time. If anyone can confirm if they can be used (maybe with some fancy high tech resistor) that would be helpful. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla-Charger-J1772-Adapter/dp/B07V7V2QT8

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
Is this the right one for Tesla to J1772 charging? Not that I plan on regularly sitting for just over 2 hours but we have about 8 Tesla super chargers less than two miles from the house so it’s not out of the question I would use them if I could from time to time. If anyone can confirm if they can be used (maybe with some fancy high tech resistor) that would be helpful. Thank you

https://www.amazon.com/Lectron-Tesla-Charger-J1772-Adapter/dp/B07V7V2QT8
These cannot be used with the Tesla Supercharger but they do work with the other Telsa chargers like you might find in parking lots or I suppose someone's home.

Demonic

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Ah ok. I had incorrectly thought with the adapter you could plug into a supercharger but the actual charge rate would just be a standard level 2 rate. Some more Googling confirms that the adapter is for a Tesla charger, but Superchargers are only for Teslas.

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
I picked up my 4xe Rubicon today and thought I’d post a few thoughts and (maybe useful?) info as I have a 750mi drive over 2 days with it. I’m hoping to answer some questions I know I still had and also happy to answer anything the great folks here might have also.

I have all factory options including the sky one-touch, with the only exception being the Advanced Safety Group.

A quick note since I think context is important in any discussion. I’ve owned 3 Jeeps, a TJ, early JK and late JKUR (AEV). I’ve driven the 2.0 and 3.6 JLUR’s many times at length in various conditions on and off-road. I have not driven the new 392 or the Diesel but do have a couple hundred miles of experience with AEV converted 5.7 and 6.4 JKUR’s.

I figured I’d break down each area and hopefully add/update specific info as more folks receive them and also provide feedback on experience.

Performance
TLDR;

It’s by no means slow, and it’s absolutely quicker than the 2.0 and 3.6. Can you smoke the tires, no. Can you beat a 392 off the line, maybe. Would you lose to a 392 after about 1.5-2s off the line, likely. Is it eerily quiet getting from 0-60, very.
Experience;
No one seems to be posting anything about this, anywhere. I was determined to figure out exactly how good or bad it was but instead I realized why exactly no one says anything about it. It’s power is oddly transparent, if that can even be a description? You just don’t think about it. No, it does not blow you away and throw you back into your seat. It’s still a box with knobby tires that weighs 6k+ lbs. All the hp/tq in the world can only overcome so much of physics so set your expectations accordingly. I think in many cases we perceive speed based on sound and the level of “roughness” or involvement going fast might require. The 4xe is eerily quiet. Even when you stand on it, you are just sort of going 80mph all of a sudden with no real fuss. You hear minimal noise from the 2.0 and in pure electric the instant torque is fantastic but it doesn’t give the perception of fast in any way. The lack of a launch control feature should be a dead giveaway, also. If you like to “feel” like you’re going fast, this isn’t it. I personally love it, it’s a fantastic mix of power and efficiency in a car that’s all about balancing functionality and capability.

Exterior
- You need to like the color blue if you buy the Rubicon, less so on the Sahara’s.
- The “RUBICON” lettering blue appears to have some metallic in it, it changes depending on light. The tow hooks are definitely more of what I’d call Electric Baby Blue. The hood decal blue is essentially flat. One thing is for sure, they don’t “appear” to all match exactly but it has more to do with the material they are either printed on or applied to that influences it. It’s not significant by any means and after the first time many folks won’t think twice. OCD folks however, be warned.
- The gas tank only opens with the unlock button inside. I swear I saw a video where you could just push it in from the outside of the car to open but even the sales team was confused on this one. I’m a fan of this for security purposes but I haven’t seen it mentioned anywhere yet.

Interior
- You also need to like the color blue if you buy the Rubicon with black leather, less so on the Sahara, even less with cloth option and almost not at all with Saddle interior.
- I have the black leather option and got blue stitching on seats, door panels, dash, center console and shifters. We’ll call this the FULL blue option. The cloth variant appears to only have the blue on the seats and no where else. The saddle interior replaces all the blue with white, at least on the other one I saw at the dealer. Can likely make this list more precise as folks receive them, this is just my experience from the dealer and online.
- I can’t see a reason why the LED charging indicators on the dash are so huge. Yes, they are large as others have stated. It eats nearly any storage you have up there. However, it appears at first glance the 67 Designs stuff will work if you just use the driver/passenger side individual bases and not the full rail. I have the pieces to try and install tomorrow and will report back with photos. I only mention this as 67D is very popular already and I reached out to them about designing a new variant for the full rail option for the 4xe.

Modes, Buttons, Random
- There is no “Offroad +” button.
- Yes, it has 2H.
- The Max Regen button does NOT stay on after you restart the car. This appears contradictory to the documentation but likely a software thing they changed late and/or are still working on smoothing over with some politician. Not a big deal but I like others really like this feature. Once you get used to it, you can time it so you almost never have to actually depress the brake pedal to slow down.
- When Max Regen is on, letting off the gas fully will engage the brake lights automatically. Cool feature as it does slow you down fairly significantly and your back end wouldn’t last for long without it. I tested this in DC traffic, it works, well.
- The technician that did the PDI on mine said in their training they were told the 4xe can use the lower 87 octane fuel similar to the 3.6 even though the 2.0 requires Premium. Supposedly Jeep is using a different cam that allows the lower octane fuel to be used.
@bjm00se confirmed:
Fuel requirement on page 78 of the 4xe Owner's Manual Supplement:
Fuel Selection: 87 Octane (R+M)/2 Method, 0-15% Ethanol.

Real World Hybrid’ness
- I started on a full charge/full tank of gas when I picked up the car and got 27.8 miles of battery use in Hybrid mode over the course of ~150mi so far. I’m sure there are millions of variables here but this was mostly highway with max regen on. Will take time to get more numbers and data on this topic honestly. Just a starting point.
- It was completely down to 0% battery on the fuel gauge and <1% on the battery gauge when I stopped to plug in. I plugged into a L2 charger and it approximated 2h15m to fully charge. Not sure what variables this may have yet?
- You get the craziest stares when you pull into an EV spot with a Jeep. Everything from “WTF is this DB doing in the Tesla parking” to “This guy MUST be lost”. As soon as you plug it in, the look on peoples faces is easily worth every penny. :P
- It doesn’t appear that the battery gauge ever goes below <1%. This may be more EV ignorance, but I’m assuming it has some type of reserve as even when the fuel gauge had 0% it would still go into electric only when coasting or low speed on most occasions. It also seemed to never loose it’s full power potential. It seemed I still had all 470lb’s of hamsters even when battery was dry, I’ll play with it more though.

Donuts and 600 more miles coming soon. Hopefully this can be helpful, the forum and members have definitely helped me and I just wanted to contribute if possible.

Fire away with questions, post feedback and share your experiences as well!

3963E2C0-98A7-4D59-98DA-AFF0AF194A67.jpeg

Thank you! First actual review I’ve read. Definitely making me excited about getting mine later this month.

As someone who plans to drive in pure EV mode as often as possible, when you park and switch the vehicle off while it’s in EV mode, and then you come back later to drive it again, is it still in EV mode or does it automatically default to something else?

den_jku

First Name
DS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 4xe
Thank you! First actual review I’ve read. Definitely making me excited about getting mine later this month.

As someone who plans to drive in pure EV mode as often as possible, when you park and switch the vehicle off while it’s in EV mode, and then you come back later to drive it again, is it still in EV mode or does it automatically default to something else?
Defaults to hybrid..

Sponsored

Dryver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler 4xe "Bridgette"
Thanks, hoping something like a Tazer will be able to reprogram for this in the future..
Keep in mind that even in hybrid mode it tries to use electric first unless you push the accelerator down to far.

aug0211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 4xe

Congrats on your incoming 4xe! Can I ask how long your order took? I'm hearing 3-4 weeks for a new order, from a dealer. Is this legit?

My last order was with a brand new JL when they first came out in 18 - and they had all kinds of issues getting them out so I have some scar tissue still!

PriceForFlight

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe Rubicon
Congrats on your incoming 4xe! Can I ask how long your order took? I'm hearing 3-4 weeks for a new order, from a dealer. Is this legit?

My last order was with a brand new JL when they first came out in 18 - and they had all kinds of issues getting them out so I have some scar tissue still!
3-4 weeks seems optimistic but some have been lucky. I ordered 2/17, my dealer is hoping to have it in by the last few days of April. Some ordered after me and have already taken possession. Some have ordered months ago and nothing happened.

Kremz, the OP of this thread, ordered an almost identical build to mine two days before me and has already taken possession. We are even in the same state, but I ordered from a NC based dealer. I have no locked date. I’m patient though, I only buy a new car once every 10 years or so anyway.
Sponsored