Driving our JL To Costa Rica

PAUL HARRIS

First Name
Baja Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
My wife and I are actually doing the same thing. We sold our house and now we are driving our Sahara JLU to settle in the Baja south of San Diego. We’ve been to Costa Rica (by plane). You will love it
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
That's the truth. When I lived outside of Chicago for college, I was told early on there are some areas that I needed to either a) stay out of at all times, and/or b) make sure I am out of by dark. As a 17 year old that was an eye-opener from someone coming from Texas where the most danger we had was running into a cow on the road at night, or dodging tractors on the roads. :CWL:
Don't know what suburb you went to school in.

The University of Chicago borders one of the most dangerous parts of the city. The U of C has the largest private police force in the nation. Believe me, they earn their pay.

You got good advice for the most part. Sad but very true. There are areas of Chicago where you definitely don't want to be anytime, not during day or night. Basically the South and West sides of Chicago. It's not just those areas anymore. One of the most popular and expensive parts of the City, The Magnificent Mile, has been over run with rowdy teens on weekends. It's like they are challenging police. A few weeks ago 300+ teens rampaged and created havoc by over running the area. Fights break out and innocent people were beaten and / or robbed. This area is where some of the most exclusive real estate and retail stores are. Chicago is also the only city in the nation where a pilot luxury car share service pulled out. Car2Go is owned by Benz and they had over 200 Mercedes stolen. All of them ended up on the west side of Chicago.

beachbumm78

First Name
Kristy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 bikini blue Rubicon
Occupation
Athletic trainer & Massage therapist
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know what suburb you went to school in.

The University of Chicago borders one of the most dangerous parts of the city. The U of C has the largest private police force in the nation. Believe me, they earn their pay.

You got good advice for the most part. Sad but very true. There are areas of Chicago where you definitely don't want to be anytime, not during day or night. Basically the South and West sides of Chicago. It's not just those areas anymore. One of the most popular and expensive parts of the City, The Magnificent Mile, has been over run with rowdy teens on weekends. It's like they are challenging police. A few weeks ago 300+ teens rampaged and created havoc by over running the area. Fights break out and innocent people were beaten and / or robbed. This area is where some of the most exclusive real estate and retail stores are. Chicago is also the only city in the nation where a pilot luxury car share service pulled out. Car2Go is owned by Benz and they had over 200 Mercedes stolen. All of them ended up on the west side of Chicago.
I actually went to a private college about an hour outside Chicago, but always made trips into the city. And you are exactly right. Sad but very true about areas of Chicago. I hadn't heard about that recently, but sadly, not surprised. I have a friend that lives down around that area and he's always careful when he goes out now b/c of how things are. You can only hope one day Chicago will get its act together and get control of the city.

Kevin8086

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
So awesome!!! Congrats and good luck. Sounds like an amazing adventure.

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL Sport S 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I have updated the original post with a day 1 blog. This is where the blogs on this forum will be. Thanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 1

Denver, CO to Nogales, AZ

Nothing too exciting here. 14.5 hours of driving a fully loaded up Jeep with Shannon & Bosco. Chivo is is weighted down pretty heavy but the shocks are holding just fine. I am in shock of how much stuff we fit into the back of the Jeep with the seat folded forward. This is my 3rd Jeep and this one holds so much more than my previous TJ & CJ combined!

We left Denver at 5am and it was snowing. No better way to start a 2 week road trip to Costa Rica than Denver giving us snow on the way out. It snowed and rained all the way to just North of Albuquerque.

We have made long drives many times before but something about this one was different. 14.5 hours flew by and we rolled into Nogales around 6:30pm. The scenery was new to us and it was exciting to see the landscape changing around us. There was a lot of wind so the MPG wasn't the best either. We drove 921 miles and got around 19.3mpg.

2E72BEC8-3484-4176-8C64-BFCBC53DBDEF.jpeg

BB35A75E-A1E1-4C4A-A240-F6B30B5B7817.jpeg

762CDB15-E5EE-4E69-A13A-EC1E0CCAADE3.jpeg

OP
OP
flipboltz

flipboltz

First Name
Nikk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Day 2
Nogales to Navajoa, MX

Border crossing day! We woke up early got in Chivo and took off across the border. Super easy crossing into Mexico. At KM21 on the right is the immigration and customs. This took about 45 minutes, got our T.I.P. And we were on our way nice and legal to be driving in Mexico. We made our way to to the toll road and we off. Super uneventful drive for the day except for the topes. If you don’t know what topes are, they are bone rattling monster size speed bumps that come out of nowhere. You literally have to almost come to a stop and ease over them. The Jeep has great ground clearance, especially with the Rubi wheels, but with the weight we are carrying we have to take it easy. I can see how these can wreck a car easily especially at night because there are no street lights in the tiny towns and half of the topes are unmarked.

We drove for around 7 hours and 370 miles. I love seeing all of the palm trees and Chivo sure looks great by them as well.

894CB482-870F-4A55-B930-6743220A61AD.jpeg

Chasenthedreams

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 4-door Unlimited JL
So cool of you, your wife, and your dog to take on this adventure!! On the day after the Memorial Day Weekend, most of us are back to the same old same old, so to see you venture off on your expedition is very inspiring. I took a year and a half off to sail around the world a few years ago, and the only thing I regret is coming back home - so I know you will not regret your decision to go and enjoy life in Costa Rica. Be safe, have fun, and keep the rest of us "workaholics" posted on your travels.
Pura Vida!!

Sponsored

LincolnSixAlpha

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Sounds amazing, safe travels! I’m with Chocolate Thunder, though, I don’t have the stones to make that drive with just my wife. Driving through Mexico without any of my firearms.....no bueno!
Or some form of semi-automatic rilfe. It's just me and my little terrier mutt, so I'm not sure I'd have the stones either!

Pig-Pen

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU
Occupation
jabroni
Clubs

A firearm in mexico will be get you about 5 years in prison, which is pretty much a life sentence

rustyshakelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR-8 speed 2020 F-350
Sounds like you’re having a great trip so far. We decided to fly down to Liberia in July, drive down to quepos to fish and then drive back up north for 5 days at a resort. Safe travels

Brett
Sponsored