2018 3.6 JLR / 2013 911 / 2013 E92 M3
Occupation
...huh?
Vehicle Showcase

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
airing down had nothing to do with that. he could've driven an old Cadillac Eldorado on that hard pack.
the dumbass either left it there too long, or tried to drive IN the water. once it turns to wet mud, youre stuck.. and the rig is as good as gone.

rswanson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Better to turn "traction control" off or leave it on in the deep sand?

Even though we live here at the beach I've only driven the Rubicon in the soft sand twice with fully aired up tires just to see how it would do.
I tried turning it off for a bit then back on while in 4H and I couldn't tell any difference. Thoughts?
Turn off traction control. You don't want one tire with more torque for the same reason that you don't want big lugged tires. The tendency will be for that tire to dig in. Instead, you want continuous momentum and power to all tires equally.

Also, lower gearing means slower speeds but also less stress on the drive train. 4H is a good option but 4L in deep sand, while maybe not needed to remain in motion, will be less stressful on the vehicle. Driving in dry, deep sand can cause increased wear and tear.

Sponsored

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
I believe if you have lockers and aired down tires, you're pretty safe in any sand...except maybe quicksand. The lockers would probably be something you could save just in case of any trouble.

Quetzal

First Name
ERIC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Rubicon JLU
Occupation
Teacher
5EAD69DA-F3B1-44FB-851F-FAFE2717D933.jpeg
Just took my Rubi on sand at Cape Cod...once aired down it made it over some challenging hills with no issue!
Were you using your front/rear lockers?

shekmark

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Occupation
Yes
Vehicle Showcase
vehicles off road. In fact, I just picked up a heavy duty one just for the jeep. Comes in a little black duffle bag and will fully inflate a Jeep tire in about 3 minutes. When you go off-road, you air down. When you come back you air back up in the parking lot before hitting the road.
Looking at portable air pumps now. Viair and Smittybuilt are a couple. can you share what you have and how it works? Thanks.

00Sebby

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Occupation
Ex-auto quality engr & mgt. Now just enjoy life.
Dang, I did it wrong in my orange JKUR. I had mud-terrain tires, not aired down and only ran 4-Hi. We drove all over in both dry and wet sand (not in protected dunes of course). But you can see by this pic that Wranglers aren't recommended for beaches. ;)

IMG_0693.jpeg

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
As mentioned the less aggressive the tire, the better it will be on the beach. I fish a ton and drive on the beach occasionally in East Long Island and IBSP NJ but not nearly as much as I'd like. Wranglers are great on the beach and nothing beats a 2 door for beach driving IMO.

Wabujitsu

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR, 2020 JLU Sahara
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Retired US Army
Vehicle Showcase
I drove 38 miles through Citrus WMA with deep, rutted sugar sand in a Sport with LSD, no airing down, on 33s. I turned off traction control and had zero problems, 4 low for deep sand, but pretty infrequent. Have fun!

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
Looking at portable air pumps now. Viair and Smittybuilt are a couple. can you share what you have and how it works? Thanks.
I've been happy with the Viair 400p for my air up usage.
20190709_104944.jpg

aprez27

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Wrangler Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Whoever said Jeeps are bad in the sand has a definite bias against them for some reason. Most of the sand recoveries I've seen were done by Jeeps, usually pulling out a huge manhood compensator diesel.

3 Wranglers over the last 15 years. never stuck once. And anyone I've seen stuck was recovered by a Wrangler, except for one guy who's 4x4 blew out by the entrance, tow truck beat me to him. $400 for him to be towed 100 feet to the road.

Oletimer

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jlr 2017 ram
Occupation
Logging Contractor
In Florida, deep shell around inlets is what will get you. Aired down or not unless your on 40s or something.
About 6 roofing shingles are great to have on hand.
Sponsored