Driving on Sand and question on larger tires

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
i probably should have asked this before ordering but how is driving on sand in a manual transmission? From what I've read it is easier in an auto but on relatively flat beach would a manual do fine?
second question is i plan to put 35" tires on the Rubi after it arrives. Does having 35" tires wear on the manual transmission more so than keeping the stock tires?
Sponsored

johnnymiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
manual on sand is no problem. i have been doing it for close to 40 years.
35s means a wider tire and a wider footprint so the jeep will float better on the sand and that will offset the effective gearing change of the bigger rubber. just make sure you air down to between 15 and 20 psi to make it easy on the drive train.
gonna take it fishing? depending on where you go on long island, the sand can be hard like blacktop or soft like sugar.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
I haven't done much beach driving but didn't plenty of time in the woods but general rules still apply

Tall but more so wider tires will provide a larger contact patch with the ground, airing down ties helps even more. The larger the contact patch the more your weight is dispersed over the sand.

The whole auto v manual things comes down to this, short of rock bouncing buggies it doesn't matter. The dudes that claim autos are better don't know how to drive a stick and are embarrassed, and those who live in the manual camp are just full of themselves. I have driver both on the trails and can tell you they each have their pros and cons but I'm the end there is no strong winner.

As for strain on the transmission, no not really at least I have never seen a blown up transmission due to tires. The axles take most of the beating.

caged

First Name
Rodger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1949 CJ3a 90XJ 00XJ 97TJ 18JLR
i have seen more autos overheat in the sand than manuals. mainly because they didn't air down. and auto trans fluid is flammable. one friends jeep burnt to the ground because of leaking trans fluid.

i prefer stick. all my wranglers have been stick, but all my xj's have been auto. my built rig is an xj.

Dadawada

First Name
Barrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2020 Honda Goldwing Bagger
Occupation
Network Technology Executive
Vehicle Showcase
I have 35s and just air down as others have said on sand and they work great.

OP
OP

LLRubylady

First Name
Lisa
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
was an ‘18 Rubicon Mojito! now a boring Mazda
i have seen more autos overheat in the sand than manuals. mainly because they didn't air down. and auto trans fluid is flammable. one friends jeep burnt to the ground because of leaking trans fluid.

i prefer stick. all my wranglers have been stick, but all my xj's have been auto. my built rig is an xj.
Omg. That’s terrible. A fun day at the beach then poof. Fireball.
Sponsored