Sponsored

Driving in the Snow - Traction Control On or Off?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
This past storm I started with it on until I felt like I needed it off to maintain my momentum
Sponsored

Archie PJ

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Punk"n
Yea, I am running the stock MT's and was wondering if the tires might be garbage in the snow.
I think you answered your own question about the tires when you said all was good in 4LO.

Uhdinator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Sport HT 2.0T Auto, 2003 TJ Rubicon HT
Vehicle Showcase
TC won't let the tires spin when you need to keep momentum and keep them churning as when in deep snow, sand, or soft mud. TC is best used for packed snow and ice highway travel to keep abrupt acceleration from causing a spinout into a ditch.

TC off in 2WD is also good when you have some young woman tailgating in a snow storm.
1. Stop at traffic light
2. Select 2H
3. Turn off TC
4. When light changes, accelerate vigorously........covering said tailgater's hood with a plethora of snow, a frozen super slushy parfait of snow, sand, and salt.

They won't follow so closely or stop 12" from your bumper any longer. If they are not so smart you may have to do it a few times. Its also an IQ test.

OP
OP

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Not sure about the tires, I drove my Willys yesterday in about 10 inches of snow i have the stock MT tires on and had no issues at all. put her in 4H and away we went
Looks
TC won't let the tires spin when you need to keep momentum and keep them churning as when in deep snow, sand, or soft mud. TC is best used for packed snow and ice highway travel to keep abrupt acceleration from causing a spinout into a ditch.

TC off in 2WD is also good when you have some young woman tailgating in a snow storm.
1. Stop at traffic light
2. Select 2H
3. Turn off TC
4. When light changes, accelerate vigorously........covering said tailgater's hood with a plethora of snow, a frozen super slushy parfait of snow, sand, and salt.

They won't follow so closely or stop 12" from your bumper any longer. If they are not so smart you may have to do it a few times. Its also an IQ test.
Good advice and sounds like a great way to make sure the LSD is working properly as well!

Sponsored

JROOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU 2.0
Vehicle Showcase
For off road I turn it off. For daily driving I leave it on since it helps keep my mud tires tracking straight during icy and snow conditions.

Elsinore73

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
I leave it on when driving in the snow. Unless I want to play in deep snow or throw it into a skid, then it goes off

Nomod

First Name
Brien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLU Sport S; '05 Pontiac GTO; '12 MBenz GLK; '99 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan; all purchased new - I tend to keep vehicles a long time
Interesting thread and useful information - if it ever snows again in SC midlands.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
Depends on what kind of snowy road and how much snow driving experience you have. If you have little snow driving experience leave TC on and take it slow. I have a lot of experience. In 1" or less the primary concern is losing sideways traction and sliding out. There I leave it on to help catch spots that are slicker than I expect and help keep me straight. The computer has a faster reaction time to that than most people. At around 4" and up the primary concern switches from sliding to getting stuck. That's when I turn it off. The computer can't tell when you need tire spin to navigate it and it will fight you, cutting power when you need to power through. Between the two depends on how the road feels, does the road want to make me slip out or bog me down?

Sponsored

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
I leave mine on while driving on the HWY or Interstate.

Snowy forest roads, rough two tracks, anytime I shift to 4 wheel drive and etc, it gets turned off.

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Looks like TC off is definitely the way to go in Deep Snow. Quick question... Does turning off TC also disable BLD?

Black Jeep Convertible

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Sport S 2.0T eTorque
Occupation
Amazon Influencer 😂
Looks like TC off is definitely the way to go in Deep Snow. Quick question... Does turning off TC also disable BLD?
Gotta hold it for 10 seconds for that I think

basinite

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Willys (2 door)
As far as I know, there is no way to disable BLD. Holding the TC button for 5 seconds disable's the Electronic Stability Control (ESC).

Regarding BLD;

It really works!!! This summer I was on a 2 track and the road was blocked, so I had to drive up an embankment to get around a tree. My front right tire was in the air spinning with no traction and both my back tires were just digging in.

After a few seconds, the BLD kicked in and power was sent to my front left tire. I literally shot forward and climbed over the embankment. After that day, I've became a true believer in the BLD system.

Coops4284

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB; 2019 Indian Scout Bobber
Occupation
IT Enterprise Architect
Vehicle Showcase
So it depends on what I am doing. If I am just driving on a snow covered road, 4 HI with TC and ESC on. If I am in my field having fun in the snow, 4 HI with TC and ESC off. I dont use 4 L in the snow. Also, MT do ok in snow, they absolutely SUCK on ice due to the large solid tread blocks. Slow and steady is the key to maintaining traction and control on ice covered roads.
Sponsored