Sponsored

Driving in the Snow - Traction Control On or Off?

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

So, quick question regarding driving on snow covered roads. About a month ago I was on an unplowed road with about 5 inches of snow. Put the Jeep in 4-High and it felt squirrely to me, put it in 4-Low, totally solid. Since then I got an alignment and today, the same thing, 4-High at 20mph and it was all over the place, switched it into 4-Low and was able to maintain 20 mph with no issues. The only difference, besides the gearing (and other electronic controls disabled), was traction control is automatically turned off in 4-Low.

Here is the question, does switching off Traction Control help or hurt when driving on snow covered roads?
Sponsored

Nikko2020

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLUR, '21 4R TRDP, '21 Supra, '13 LR4, '72 442
Vehicle Showcase
I never take my TC off while driving in snow, but maybe others do? We got a ton of snow here over the weekend and mine was great in 4HI most of the weekend. Riding on 35x12.5x17 Nitto RG's, which honestly aren't the best snow tires I've ever had.

AMKRubicon610

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLUR 6 SPD
Occupation
CPA
i dont have my jeep yet, but i turn off traction control everytime i get in my rebel. i hate interference like that. Ive never been in a situation where i benefitted from traction control

EJH220

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Rubicon Recon / 20 Aviator / 22 Bronco Sport
I grew up in Minnesota and went to college in North Dakota. Currently live in Nebraska. If I have to put my Jeep in 4HI for snow etc., I turn off the traction control immediately.

It's a personal preference, but I feel as though I have more control over the vehicle with it turned off and not interfering with me.

Dan M.

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 sport (2 door)
It depends on how much experience you have driving in the snow. You definetly have more control with it off, but it can save you sometimes if you leave it on. Of course, if your goal is to have fun in the snow turn it off.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

I never take my TC off while driving in snow, but maybe others do? We got a ton of snow here over the weekend and mine was great in 4HI most of the weekend. Riding on 35x12.5x17 Nitto RG's, which honestly aren't the best snow tires I've ever had.
Yea, I am running the stock MT's and was wondering if the tires might be garbage in the snow.

News2me

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon, 2016 JKU Saraha Backcountry
Depends how much experience you have driving in snow. If the road is covered and I am in 4H, the traction control comes off. If there is just patches of snow blown across the road, I keep it on. Living in a rural area, I have slid off the road with it on. The traction control will prevent you from driving out in that situation and you'll get stuck. My 2 cents.

danotje

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Vehicle Showcase
Leave it on for lightly covered roads that might be slippery. It’ll keep you straight. In deep snow, turn it off so you don’t get stuck. I got stuck in deep snow in our GC once, and I thought I was going to need a recovery. Turned off TC and it walked right out.

jlewissystem

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR MANUAL Mojito!
Build Thread
Link
Vehicle Showcase
I dont like the vehicle thinking for me :) I turn it off.

01tj

First Name
jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous 2001 Wrangler, Kia Optima, possibly 2018 Wrangler unlimited
The only time I could see any advantage of turning it off unless you have a 6-speed and it won't let you start on a slick hill.

Sponsored

Granite Willys

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUW
Occupation
Retired
Yea, I am running the stock MT's and was wondering if the tires might be garbage in the snow.
Not sure about the tires, I drove my Willys yesterday in about 10 inches of snow i have the stock MT tires on and had no issues at all. put her in 4H and away we went

Young04

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Earl 392
Not sure about the tires, I drove my Willys yesterday in about 10 inches of snow i have the stock MT tires on and had no issues at all. put her in 4H and away we went
MTs are ok for getting going. They are terrible for stopping/turning.

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
it helps. Keep it off.
I find if its on then I have no control over the vehicle because Im fighting the computers. In my opinion its very unsafe. And getting going fast with it on feels like you lost 100hp because you cant feel what your vehicles even doing. since it keeps cutting the power away from you. Traction control is for 18 year old teenagers who dont know how to drive.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
Leave it on for lightly covered roads that might be slippery. It’ll keep you straight. In deep snow, turn it off so you don’t get stuck. I got stuck in deep snow in our GC once, and I thought I was going to need a recovery. Turned off TC and it walked right out.
This 100%

You need the wheel slippage in deep snow, you don't need the wheel slip on ice/hard packed snow.
Sponsored