Sponsored

Driving in the rain and getting wet!

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
My 2018 JLU Sahara Soft Top is my first Jeep, but I have been riding in my Sisters 2017 JK Rubicon for nearly a year, often in the rain with the top down. If you are driving fast enough you stay dry and even the very back may only get a little damp. So yesterday when It started raining and I was doing 70+ on the interstate in my new JL, I didn't even consider stopping. However, I was getting really wet and what was worse, the inside windshield and rear view mirror were getting covered with rain drops bad enough to obstruct my view. I pulled off at the first exit and put the top up completely leaving the side and back windows out. I have been in torrential downpours with my sisters JL where the back does not get wet as long as you are driving fast. I dried off the inside as best as I could and got back on the road only to find that the rain was getting sucked into the back of the Jeep. The center console, back of my arms and neck were getting hit with rain. This was not just undried rain from the top, I could see the rain getting sucked in through the back. When I got home my jeep was soaked in the back and the foam board for storage was wet through. That little toolkit was also starting to rust because it was sitting in a puddle. It seems like the aerodynamics of the new JL may be a liability for being able to keep the top down. Anyone else have this issue?
Sponsored

OldGuyNewJeep

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JL, 2016 Yukon XL
So, put the top up on my convertible when it rains. Got it. Not sure I would have thought of that. :cwl:

DFD34F63-ECAC-4E6C-B644-BD5848B07119.jpeg

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55

Sponsored

maguro

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Punk'n JLUR
My 2018 JLU Sahara Soft Top is my first Jeep, but I have been riding in my Sisters 2017 JK Rubicon for nearly a year, often in the rain with the top down. If you are driving fast enough you stay dry and even the very back may only get a little damp. So yesterday when It started raining and I was doing 70+ on the interstate in my new JL, I didn't even consider stopping.
Well, there's your problem. You need to be going over 110 due to the altered aerodynamics of the JL. Try that next time.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
OMG... Jeep really screwed you on this. You were supposed to get the rain package. They provide two rain ponchos, a small face towel and shower cap for driving in the Jeep with the top down... while it is raining.
If I were you, I'd go talk to the sales manager and inquire about why you didn't get the kit. It is supposed to come with all JLs and when you get the Sahara (like I have) the ponchos are color matched to the Jeep.
Good luck and in the meantime you may want to PUT THE TOP UP WHEN YOU DRIVE IN THE RAIN.

Sponsored

kculp

First Name
KEN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sahara JLU
Occupation
Professor in the health sciences
Vehicle Showcase
I vote for popular topics so I'll stick a reply here to up the tally!

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I feel you, my drivers knee got sun burnt because the top and doors were off and I drove around all day. They definitely have some issues they need to fix with these JLs... :clap:

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
@jeepnoob ... remember what I said about people's expectations :)

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
You may think this is silly, but many convertibles are actuallly designed aerodynamically so that you can drive in the rain with the top down.

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
So I realize this post is super easy to troll, and does sound silly. My point is that with the 2017 J.K., you can drive it in the rain with the top down if your going fast enough. And with the top up and soft top windows out, your staying completely dry. The new design of the JL makes it impossible to safely drive in the rain with the top down. (Vision obscured with rain on inside window) Also, I can’t leave my back windows in the garage, I will have to have them with me at all times and take the time to put them back up when it rains. Here in Florida we can get a shower almost any time without warning so it’s not like I can plan for it. I was just making a point that this is a huge disadvantage over the 2017 JKs is all. Thought maybe someone would have a recommendation for a mod or something to overcome this challenge.
Sponsored