OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
I could try a bikini top but I have a feeling that rain will

i will check that out, but I am referring to the rain gutter (if that’s what it’s called) that dumps all the water from the roof into the Jeep when you open the door getting the front seats soaked. I have a video, just trying to get it to upload from my iPhone. Apparently it doesn’t like .mov format.
I can't get the video to upload here, so I posted it to youtube and here is the link.

Sponsored

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
That's what I mean:

Yes that’s exactly what I am taking about. I have the premium soft top and the water is coming right in, except on mine it gets on the seat. They needed to extend the gutters out further. I will have to keep an eye out for any after market gutter replacements to solve this.

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
Yes that’s exactly what I am taking about. I have the premium soft top and the water is coming right in, except on mine it gets on the seat. They needed to extend the gutters out further. I will have to keep an eye out for any after market gutter replacements to solve this.
Not sure if extending was possible. This is a result of slanting the windshield back.

Sponsored

northernILJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Don’t mean to be a jerk, but is the problem that rain is getting in the Jeep with the top off? I am on my 6th Wrangler and that has and always will be the case. Kind of makes sense...

boonencjeep

First Name
Lex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep JK
My 2018 JLU Sahara Soft Top is my first Jeep, but I have been riding in my Sisters 2017 JK Rubicon for nearly a year, often in the rain with the top down. If you are driving fast enough you stay dry and even the very back may only get a little damp. So yesterday when It started raining and I was doing 70+ on the interstate in my new JL, I didn't even consider stopping. However, I was getting really wet and what was worse, the inside windshield and rear view mirror were getting covered with rain drops bad enough to obstruct my view. I pulled off at the first exit and put the top up completely leaving the side and back windows out. I have been in torrential downpours with my sisters JL where the back does not get wet as long as you are driving fast. I dried off the inside as best as I could and got back on the road only to find that the rain was getting sucked into the back of the Jeep. The center console, back of my arms and neck were getting hit with rain. This was not just undried rain from the top, I could see the rain getting sucked in through the back. When I got home my jeep was soaked in the back and the foam board for storage was wet through. That little toolkit was also starting to rust because it was sitting in a puddle. It seems like the aerodynamics of the new JL may be a liability for being able to keep the top down. Anyone else have this issue?
THANK you! I've been looking into someone that is having this same problem. At 55 with the doors and windows off but the soft top up, the rain seems to suck right in through the back window and coats everything (windshield, dash, the back of my head). My dash is dripping wet after just a 10 minute drive in a decent rain. I have a 2014 JK 4-door though - so I'm surprised you didn't have the problem with your 2017. I have a light bar but doubt that would make a huge difference in the turbulence behind the jeep. I would hate to have to install the back window to prevent this and would love to hear what makes a difference. I wonder if it is a 4-door problem with the length of the jeep (a longer brick) causing a difference airflow behind the jeep. Love to hear other thoughts... The JLs are more aerodynamic and that may exacerbate the problem of turbulence that occurs directly behind the jeep (as opposed to a 2 door JK occurring a few more feet behind the back window).

Grindhouseknives

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Bright White JLU Sport S
My ‘53 Willy’s M38A-1 didn’t have a heater in it so I always kept a 4” squeege in between the seats for the inside of windshield. Yes it had manual wipers as well!
I drove my JK plenty of times in the rain with the top down and with and without the doors off and there was always a little water that would get sucked into the jeep. It would get the back seats wet and the windshield a little foggy. It wasn’t terrible enough to stop plus if I stopped I’d get even more wet!!
I’m sure I will experience get a chance to see how the JL compares this summer.

subiescott77

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
That's what I mean:

I just noticed this today, too...where the roof gutter drains right onto the dash/floorboard. I was confused at first about the effectiveness of the seals but then noticed where the drain hole was. Certainly not a huge issue, more so meh engineering in that aspect.

Biscuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Retired
My 2018 JLU Sahara Soft Top is my first Jeep, but I have been riding in my Sisters 2017 JK Rubicon for nearly a year, often in the rain with the top down. If you are driving fast enough you stay dry and even the very back may only get a little damp. So yesterday when It started raining and I was doing 70+ on the interstate in my new JL, I didn't even consider stopping. However, I was getting really wet and what was worse, the inside windshield and rear view mirror were getting covered with rain drops bad enough to obstruct my view. I pulled off at the first exit and put the top up completely leaving the side and back windows out. I have been in torrential downpours with my sisters JL where the back does not get wet as long as you are driving fast. I dried off the inside as best as I could and got back on the road only to find that the rain was getting sucked into the back of the Jeep. The center console, back of my arms and neck were getting hit with rain. This was not just undried rain from the top, I could see the rain getting sucked in through the back. When I got home my jeep was soaked in the back and the foam board for storage was wet through. That little toolkit was also starting to rust because it was sitting in a puddle. It seems like the aerodynamics of the new JL may be a liability for being able to keep the top down. Anyone else have this issue?
Let me introduce you to my friend, Charles Darwin, and his Theory of Natural Selection.

Sponsored

Mid-life Wrangler

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Rubicon JLU
Could just remove it all together and drive 88 miles per hour catapulting you 20 minutes ahead and avoid the recent rain shower. I know. I live in Florida. That's what I do. Never get wet. Remember. 88 miles per hour.
...and check the flux capacitor. You can check for stock here if you need to replace. https://www.oreillyauto.com/flux-capacitor

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
It's that fancy raked back windshield. Dosent create the rain blocking air vortex that you get with the blocky JK.

Science.
Sponsored