OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited (ordered)
So, put the top up on my convertible when it rains. Got it. Not sure I would have thought of that. :cwl:

DFD34F63-ECAC-4E6C-B644-BD5848B07119.jpeg
I can put the top up when it rains, but I also have to put up the back window and side windows because the rain gets pulled in all the way up to the front seat.
Sponsored

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70+ in a Wrangler, in the rain! You’ve got some big balls.
It wasn’t raining hard enough to have to slow down, the inside windows were getting covered with rain drops though and I eventually slowed due to not being able to see out of the windshield. My sisters J.K. never gets rain drops on the inside of the window and we have drove in super hard rain.

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OMG... Jeep really screwed you on this. You were supposed to get the rain package. They provide two rain ponchos, a small face towel and shower cap for driving in the Jeep with the top down... while it is raining.
If I were you, I'd go talk to the sales manager and inquire about why you didn't get the kit. It is supposed to come with all JLs and when you get the Sahara (like I have) the ponchos are color matched to the Jeep.
Good luck and in the meantime you may want to PUT THE TOP UP WHEN YOU DRIVE IN THE RAIN.
I probably should have explained that I live in FL and you can’t always anticipate rain in FL. I could be driving down the road, blue sky’s, 0% chance of rain, then BAM downpore for 10 - 20 minutes and back to blue sky’s. By the time you stop the rain may stop. That’s one of the things I loved about my sisters JK, you could keep driving in the rain and drive out of it. The point is the inside of the window gets covered in rain drops and you have to pull over. I have had several convertibles before my Jeep and rain drops did not gather on the inside of my windows.

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
I probably should have explained that I live in FL and you can’t always anticipate rain in FL. I could be driving down the road, blue sky’s, 0% chance of rain, then BAM downpore for 10 - 20 minutes and back to blue sky’s. By the time you stop the rain may stop. That’s one of the things I loved about my sisters JK, you could keep driving in the rain and drive out of it. The point is the inside of the window gets covered in rain drops and you have to pull over. I have had several convertibles before my Jeep and rain drops did not gather on the inside of my windows.
Might want to take a look at one of the sun shades. I don’t know if they promote any benefits of dealing with the rain but, I may be wrong, I think jtop usa may have mentioned something about how it would reduce the amount of the water to come down during their testing phase.

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Might want to take a look at one of the sun shades. I don’t know if they promote any benefits of dealing with the rain but, I may be wrong, I think jtop usa may have mentioned something about how it would reduce the amount of the water to come down during their testing phase.
Thanks, I will check those out. It would be ideal to have something that goes up quickly that can keep the windshield clear. I need inside wipers lol.

Sponsored

schneidvegas

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport S
Thanks, I will check those out. It would be ideal to have something that goes up quickly that can keep the windshield clear. I need inside wipers lol.
Sounds like you need to just lower that windshield and then you wouldn’t have to worry about water on the inside ;)

MacBigButt

First Name
Martin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nissan Leaf, 2018 JL Unlimited Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
My 63 MGB had a tonneau cover that opened up just for the driver...worked great until you turned right and all the pooled water came off into your lap. I had an XKE Jag that had one as well. It dumper the water down my back every time I hit the brakes. Neither of them had windshield wipers that worked worth a damn so it didn't really matter if the inside of the windshield got wet. These were not good commuting vehicles :)

BeStop look like they have some cool stuff for the JK so I expect it won't be long before something is available for the JL.

When the rain hits, just look across the lanes of traffic at the guy riding a naked motorbike and be happy it isn't you.

COBill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser
So I realize this post is super easy to troll, and does sound silly. My point is that with the 2017 J.K., you can drive it in the rain with the top down if your going fast enough. And with the top up and soft top windows out, your staying completely dry. The new design of the JL makes it impossible to safely drive in the rain with the top down. (Vision obscured with rain on inside window) Also, I can’t leave my back windows in the garage, I will have to have them with me at all times and take the time to put them back up when it rains. Here in Florida we can get a shower almost any time without warning so it’s not like I can plan for it. I was just making a point that this is a huge disadvantage over the 2017 JKs is all. Thought maybe someone would have a recommendation for a mod or something to overcome this challenge.
It is; you could even do this in the TJ.

(How I know - sudden showers in the San Juans with the top down. :like:)

LeaN69

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 JLUR 4xe / 23 Bolt EUV / 22 Camaro SS 1LE
When the rain hits, just look across the lanes of traffic at the guy riding a naked motorbike and be happy it isn't you.
I don't ever remember that being an issue, I rode my FZ-6 Yamaha with full naked conversion in rain and in 40 degree weather without issues.

Proper gear is paramount.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
@SunriseJeep I drive in my TJ all summer long with the top and doors off (except for really serious situations, like tornado warnings) so I can relate. What I do:
  • Keep a squeegee alongside the driver's seat, between the seat and the doorframe. Allows me to clear the windshield relatively quickly (although I keep toying with the idea of adapting the WWII-style windshield wipers that sat at the top of the windshield and were operated manually, but for the inside).
  • Remove the carpet. This is the biggie: not only makes it so I don't have to worry about the carpet after a rainstorm, but also leaves easy access to the floor plugs.
  • Keep trash bags in my seat pockets (Bartact seat covers) so I can throw one over the steering wheel when I park (limit the impact on the clock spring) and sit on one when the seat is wet.
It is quite interesting that the JK and JL aerodynamics are sufficiently different that this is a noticeable change.

Sponsored

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Bikini top?

GARRIGA

First Name
Alejandro
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Durango RT
Occupation
Finance
Sounds like you need to just lower that windshield and then you wouldn’t have to worry about water on the inside ;)
Could just remove it all together and drive 88 miles per hour catapulting you 20 minutes ahead and avoid the recent rain shower. I know. I live in Florida. That's what I do. Never get wet. Remember. 88 miles per hour.

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@SunriseJeep I drive in my TJ all summer long with the top and doors off (except for really serious situations, like tornado warnings) so I can relate. What I do:
  • Keep a squeegee alongside the driver's seat, between the seat and the doorframe. Allows me to clear the windshield relatively quickly (although I keep toying with the idea of adapting the WWII-style windshield wipers that sat at the top of the windshield and were operated manually, but for the inside).
  • Remove the carpet. This is the biggie: not only makes it so I don't have to worry about the carpet after a rainstorm, but also leaves easy access to the floor plugs.
  • Keep trash bags in my seat pockets (Bartact seat covers) so I can throw one over the steering wheel when I park (limit the impact on the clock spring) and sit on one when the seat is wet.
It is quite interesting that the JK and JL aerodynamics are sufficiently different that this is a noticeable change.
Thank you, that is good advice. It’s disspapointing to find things that are not as good as the 2017 JK. I still prefer the JL, but they should have focused more on the rain aspect. I’m going to do a separate post regarding opening my doors in the rain at the risk of getting trolled again. This time I have video to show the problem.

macintux

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 LJR, 2022 JLR
Thank you, that is good advice. It’s disspapointing to find things that are not as good as the 2017 JK. I still prefer the JL, but they should have focused more on the rain aspect. I’m going to do a separate post regarding opening my doors in the rain at the risk of getting trolled again. This time I have video to show the problem.
The Fast Lane crew on YouTube pointed out that there’s a lot of runoff into the interior after a car wash. Pretty sure there’s a thread on here about it if that’s what you’re referring to.

OP
OP
SunriseJeep

SunriseJeep

First Name
Amy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bikini top?
I could try a bikini top but I have a feeling that rain will
The Fast Lane crew on YouTube pointed out that there’s a lot of runoff into the interior after a car wash. Pretty sure there’s a thread on here about it if that’s what you’re referring to.
i will check that out, but I am referring to the rain gutter (if that’s what it’s called) that dumps all the water from the roof into the Jeep when you open the door getting the front seats soaked. I have a video, just trying to get it to upload from my iPhone. Apparently it doesn’t like .mov format.
Sponsored