Driving in snow / ice…any tips?

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
If you get a fair bit of ice and there's an empty parking lot nearby, take advantage of it and go practice. Nothing prepares you for that first uncontrolled spin on ice, better to have it in a controlled situation than on the interstate (been there, done that).
100%
Sponsored

Sparty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Sold) 04 TJ, 21 JTR, 21 JLR
On the other hand, if it's a minor snow/ice event (as in roads aren't that bad) don't feel like you have to drive 15mph in a 55mph zone. Those people are just as dangerous as the ones that speed in bad conditions. Those people should just stay home any way

wfesta

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 High Altitude 4XE, 2022 Rubicon 4XE
Remember: 4WD gets you going, it don’t get you stopping. Drive slowly.

If you don’t feel comfortable, stay home.
Had to laugh remember my father telling me that when I first started driving… “your 4wd is all about getting going it’s not about the stoppin”

bjm00se

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 6sp ordered 11/3/21, picked up 8/30/22
Change your tires first and foremost. You’ll get no traction with those. Find a dedicated snow tire or acceptable all terrain with severe snow rating (Duratrac, KO2’s, etc). I always take ESC offline by pressing traction control for a few seconds as well so you can spin your tires.
OP in North Carolina isn't gonna go out and buy snow tires for a one time snow event.

AFD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JL Rubicon (2DR/V6)
Saw someone else here a while back that was told "drive as fast as you can, so you spend less time driving through it". Thought that was funny as hell, but yeah, I agree with the 'stay home if you can, drive slow if you can't' suggestions, at least as far as ice is concerned. Accelerate gently, brake gently and steer gently. Give yourself significantly more distance than you think you need when following others. Be prepared for others that drive even worse than you do (always).

Sponsored

W4V3

First Name
Freedom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
4x4 is not the same as AWD. If you're driving in 2H, just remember to take it slow on the acceleration or your backend will try to swing out. Keep an eye on your tire pressure; the pressure drops as it gets colder. Make sure your windshield wiper fluid is topped off. Watch the fog/snow on your windshield; they tend to fog/ice up quickly.

During icy/snow conditions, I throw my tow gear and a shovel in the back. Not just for me as others may need help.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
My suggestion: buy a Subaru, they’re the absolute best in snow with a good set of winter tires. You can drive like an a-hole all day long and whip in and out of traffic on snow and ice.

I do not advise the latter.

TX_Ovrlnd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Zilver JLURD
Occupation
freethinker
My suggestion: buy a Subaru, they’re the absolute best in snow with a good set of winter tires. You can drive like an a-hole all day long and whip in and out of traffic on snow and ice.

I do not advise the latter.
I can attest to this lol. In my younger years I had a manual WRX with ice rated tires, I probably did seem like an a-hole but that thing never lost traction. Definitely had old farts pulling up next to me at lights screaming for me to slow down. Invest in a better car and tires or stay home, is always the best response. 😈

Reactions: AFD

Equitasforall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon 4xe
Occupation
I could tell you, but then....
From a former State Trooper, here is my advice:

1. Unless you absolutely have to go out in bad weather, don’t.

2. If you’re inexperienced at driving in bad weather, don’t.

3. If you’re afraid to drive in bad weather, don’t.

4. If you don’t have a vehicle prepared to drive in bad weather, don’t. (Note: merely having a 4wd does not necessarily mean you have a vehicle prepared to drive in bad weather.)

Now, recognizing that you don’t always have a choice and sometime have to go out, here’s a few things:

1. Be prepared. Blankets, water, food (granola bars, protein bars, other stuff that won’t go bad and doesn’t need cooked.) Heavy coat, warm, water resistant gloves are essential items if you’re stuck or stranded for a while.

2. Keep your phone charged and have a charger with you.

3. Don’t let your vehicle get below 1/4 tank of gas. Just as soon as you do you’ll end up stuck in traffic or stuck in general for an extended period of time.

4. Have a flashlight and extra batteries or a charger with you.

5. Let someone know where you’re going and how you plan on getting there and back so people know where to start looking for you.

Everyone else has touched on the driving tips and Jeep specific stuff. Drive safely!

Sponsored

Carolina Jeeper

First Name
Rollie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mojito! Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Electronics Technician at R. J. Reynolds
Ice, freezing rain and sleet is easy. Just stay home.

For our Jeeps deeper cold snow is better than a wet thin coating since it'll be less likely to pack into an ice like coating.

Put your auto Trans in manual in about 2nd or 3rd gear to start. Test the waters so to speak and get a feel for the road and how your tires handle the current conditions. It's a learning experience so just be careful and drive like you have plenty of time to get where you're going.

Your biggest hurdle will be other drivers who are not aware and don't even suspect they are going to loose control.

Stay far away as you reasonably can from other drivers. Slowing down without braking is your friend. Learn how to use the transmission for engine braking.

Noone here can teach you this stuff as good as going out in it and becoming familiar with how your Jeep handles in it. There are so many variables that it's impossible. But doing the basics are the same. Feathering the gas or spinning the tires depending on each situation.

Same with steering. Steering in snow or on ice is dicy at times. Not catching that slide or spin in time and not knowing how to correct the steering will get you in trouble just as fast as inadequate tires.

You know how some people get their heavily modified Jeeps stuck rock crawling and the someone in a stock Jeep can tackle that same trail and not get stuck? It's the same with driving on snow. Know you and your Jeep's limitations.

Edit: And of course 4 wheel drive. Can't really say if you need to turn of the traction control or not. You'll need to experiment.

Last edited:

21Sahara_AltitudeHydro

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sahara Altitude, 2004 SRT4 Neon
Hello from NC also, I'm right at the NC/VA line and hoping for the snow. As I will be driving my new Jeep in this also just drive with sense and caution, keep a lookout ahead and don't be harsh on the brakes and gas. How Ive driven my 02 Durango R/T AWD for years. Never had an issue.

2mnycars

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
@Equitasforall well said.

I'm a has-been ski instructor. 35 years. 55 years skiing.

Consider packing a shovel. Then you won't need it. ;) If you don't take one you'll need it for sure!

Consider packing kitty litter. I used to pack it in paper lunch bags. A bunch of them. Just about 2" in the bottom of the lunch bag. Take a bag, open it. Pour a lump of KL it on the top of each of the tires and just at the bottom edge of the tire Use your throttle lightly. (Snow/ice at 32 is extremely slippery. The kitty litter soaks up the water under the tire. You'll be amazed!)

Have Blizzaks on the Wrangler. They help a little on ice. They pack with snow in the tread

Finally if you have to go to work in the morning, get up really early. Warm the Jeep. Get all the snow off. Leave really...really early. Get to work before anyone else. If you have to drive home after work, consider staying. Stay really late. Then drive when the traffic has gone. You would have been caught and stopped in traffic anyway.

Hope this helps.

edit: I was told a long long time ago that carbon black is used in modern rubber. Not natural rubber. And carbon black is hydrophobic. slides on water...like melting snow around 32 degrees F.