JK had the same problem with its LED lights too
Sponsored

Redneck_Jedi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2 Dr.
Vehicle Showcase
Speaking of visibility, anyone know of a Rear Fog light that would work with the JL? I'm sure there must be an OE solution that's used on European JLs, but I haven't found anything.

InvertedLogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 JTR
All of the JL lights front and rear will get snow covered. LED's do not get warm enough to mekt snow....Happens everytime ut sniws more than flurries
I wipe of the back lights while Im sitting on the side of the highway wiping off all of tge front lights.
Pretty dangerous sitting on the side of a highway.
But also dangerous driving in the dark.
Also, someone may turn in front of you because they didn't see you.
Or rear end you because they didn't see you.
Have you had your lights get so covered with snow that someone would not be able to tell that they were on? I had HID projectors in my TJ that suffered from the same issue as the LEDs in the JL, they don't get hot enough to melt snow. However, the only time I ever noticed significant snow buildup was in blizzard conditions over Vail Pass in CO. I was still able to see with my fogs, but the headlights were covered. When I took the next exit to clear off the lights (no stopping on shoulders for me), you could definitely still see the headlights through the snow, just the light was scattering enough that the headlights weren't projecting forward.

All that to say, I've never seen snow cover Jeep headlights enough for traffic to not be able to see them.

So maybe an amber light bar on the front bumper would be a good option? I presume it can be wired to be on with the fog lights but not with the main headlights?
I'd be worried about blinding traffic with a light bar

Slowpoke

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moab Silver 2018
Occupation
Yes
Have you had your lights get so covered with snow that someone would not be able to tell that they were on? I had HID projectors in my TJ that suffered from the same issue as the LEDs in the JL, they don't get hot enough to melt snow. However, the only time I ever noticed significant snow buildup was in blizzard conditions over Vail Pass in CO. I was still able to see with my fogs, but the headlights were covered. When I took the next exit to clear off the lights (no stopping on shoulders for me), you could definitely still see the headlights through the snow, just the light was scattering enough that the headlights weren't projecting forward.

All that to say, I've never seen snow cover Jeep headlights enough for traffic to not be able to see them.

I'd be worried about blinding traffic with a light bar
Yes, I've had my headlights and fogs TOTALLY COVERED. You can see some white behind the snow but ZERO beam coming through. 30° moderate snow. Has to clear them every 10 miles. Ridiculous and dangerous.

Sponsored

OP
OP
stewartld

stewartld

First Name
Stewart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL
Yes, I've had my headlights and fogs TOTALLY COVERED. You can see some white behind the snow but ZERO beam coming through. 30° moderate snow. Has to clear them every 10 miles. Ridiculous and dangerous.
Completely agree, but at least it stops the glare off the snow!

Tunesoul

First Name
Kirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport, 2012 Subaru Outback, 2018 Ocean Blue JLUR
Occupation
Owner of a Mobile Auto Paint Touch Up Co.
Maybe switch them out for JK headlights?

Revelation17

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'00 Corvette; '19 JLRU (Manual, Firecracker red)
Occupation
slave for "the man"
Vehicle Showcase
I’m planning on installing conventional amber driving lights. Better visibility in bad weather and they’ll melt snow.

I love the JLs headlights but I’m not too impressed with the fogs. Had a couple of foggy days this week and they didn’t seem to do much.

wrc777

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250
I’m planning on installing conventional amber driving lights. Better visibility in bad weather and they’ll melt snow.

I love the JLs headlights but I’m not too impressed with the fogs. Had a couple of foggy days this week and they didn’t seem to do much.
I have never had fog lights that did anything more than add a little light 5’ in front of my vehicle and a little to the side. Completely useless for driving at any reasonable road speed.

allieboy

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sahara
Like having Stevie Wonder drive a school bus.

Sponsored

wvgasguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR / 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner / 2016 Suburban LTZ and 1979 Chevy K10 short bed
Occupation
Retired
Since I have the aux switches I felt obligated to hook something up to them. I put on amber lights in case I had to drive in fog or snow

2D8A0695.JPG

Mordelicious

First Name
Cesar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It happened to me as well but with my jeep. My jeep 2003 died during the summer and this winter i rented a car. It was snowing i could not see past the hood. Would only see snow, other cars didnt seem to have this issue.

So are LEDs a no for cold winter areas?

TravisRogers

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sahara
It doesn't block the light entirely, it just diffuses the beam. Other cars can still see the glow of your headlights –– there's just no projection, so you can't see the road ahead. Happens to my LED off road lights, too.

500j2s.jpg

m7ak8y.jpg

I'm thinking I might treat the lenses with something next year.

This was my first winter in the Wrangler and I was left a tad disappointed. There are a few design quirks that make this more of a beach toy than a blizzard battler. Our old Pathfinder was better in the snow in almost every way.

M1911a1fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU RUBICON , 2021 JT MOJAVE
Occupation
BMW Service Director
As a Michigander, this happens to me at least one a winter, at least. The only way to go is Amber lamp covers for your off road lamps. The bright white light just shines back in your face and you're screwed. I purchased some 9" off road lamps and paid extra for the amber covers. When the weather report calls for snow, I pop them on just in case. they do work